Favorite verses or quotes

R

Romanseight2005

Psalm 37:4 - Delight thyself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart.

The key to understanding this verse is the first part. I've learned that as my source of delight changes, so will my heart's desires.

Exactly! True prosperity is not in wealth, but rather, in true contentedness with little.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

κύριε ἐλέησον χριστὲ ἐλέησον
Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Numbers 22:22-30 - "God speaks through the mouth of an ass."

22But God’s anger was kindled because he went,(S) and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way(T) as his adversary. Now he was riding on the donkey, and his two servants were with him. 23And the donkey saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road, with a drawn sword in his hand. And the donkey turned aside out of the road and went into the field. And Balaam struck the donkey, to turn her into the road. 24Then the angel of the LORD stood in a narrow path between the vineyards, with a wall on either side. 25And when the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she pushed against the wall and pressed Balaam’s foot against the wall. So he struck her again. 26Then the angel of the LORD went ahead and stood in a narrow place, where there was no way to turn either to the right or to the left. 27When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam. And Balaam’s anger was kindled, and he struck the donkey with his staff. 28Then the LORD(U) opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said to Balaam, "What have I done to you, that you have struck me these three times?" 29And Balaam said to the donkey, "Because you have made a fool of me. I wish I had a sword in my hand, for then I would kill you." 30And the donkey said to Balaam, "Am I not your donkey, on which you have ridden all your life long to this day? Is it my habit to treat you this way?" And he said, "No."

My wife and I where tempted to put this verse in our wedding. :)

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^ That is one of my favorite accounts in the Bible...and a great reminder that wisdom can be found ANYWHERE. LOL...not so sure about being included in a wedding ceremony, though, Luther :)

We just think its a funny story and where considering doing it for laughs.

That and the pastor doing our wedding told us that we could pick ANY scripture what so ever and he would make it work with his homily. So we sort of wanted to give him a challenge. :D

Upvote 0

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Nail in the Fence: Healing Wounds [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“There once was a little boy who had a bad temper. His father gave him a bag of nails and told him that every time he lost his temper, he must hammer a nail into the back of the fence. The first day the boy had driven 37 nails into the fence. Over the next few weeks, as he learned to control his anger, the number of nails hammered daily gradually dwindled down. He discovered it was easier to hold his temper than to drive those nails into the fence. Finally the day came when the boy didn't lose his temper at all. He told his father about it and the father suggested that the boy now pull out one nail for each day that he was able to hold his temper. The days passed and the young boy was finally able to tell his father that all the nails were gone. The father took his son by the hand and led him to the fence He said, "You have done well, my son, but look at the holes in the fence. The fence will never be the same. When you say things in anger, they leave a scar just like this one. You can put a knife in a man and draw it out. It won't matter how many times you say I'm sorry, the wound is still there.” A verbal wound is as bad as a physical one.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
R

Romanseight2005

Num 15:38-41
38 "Speak to the Israelites and say to them: 'Throughout the generations to come you are to make tassels on the corners of your garments, with a blue cord on each tassel. 39 You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of the LORD, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by going after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes. 40 Then you will remember to obey all my commands and will be consecrated to your God. 41 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt to be your God. I am the LORD your God.'"
NIV

Reactions: JaneFW
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is evident that most of our problems are the result of our being conditioned to use the false and unhealthy principles of this world; and realizing that if any real change is to take place in our lives, it must happen at the subconscious level; and knowing well that real and permanent change will only be realized as we saturate our subconscious minds with the positive principles and promises of God's Word. (Troy Smith).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From Charles Spurgeon:

Attachments

• heartofflesh.jpg
    heartofflesh.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 128
Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
‎"A saved soul has many sorrows. They have their share of bereavements, deaths, disappointments, crosses. What shall enable a believer to bear all this? Nothing but the consolation there is in Christ." ~ J.C. Ryle

It is well with my soul - YouTube

Reactions: c1ners
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

chaz345

Dec 14, 2005
✟20,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I find Charles Spurgeon very convincing and moving, MK. I wish that we had great preachers like that now, instead of all the snake oil salesmen (and women). I'm glad you reminded me about him by posting some of his words. :)

I'm not so sure I'd classify many of today's preachers as snake oil salesman, although some like that do exist. I think it's a problem, not of intent to defraud like a snake oil salesman, as much as it is a compromise of the Gospel so as to not offend anyone. We need more who will simply and plainly say was Scripture says and let the fact that someone may be offended fall where it may. The reality is that anyone who is offended by Scripture/Truth needs to be offended. The problem in such cases is not with the Scripture or the preacher, it's with the person who is offended.

Upvote 0

Luther073082

Apr 1, 2007
New Carlisle, IN
✟31,326.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I almost forgot . . . the reason I am a Lutheran.

Matt 26:26-28 said:
26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." 27And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, 28for this is my blood of the[c] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Mark 14:22-24 said:
26 Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to the disciples, and said, "Take, eat; this is my body." 27And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, "Drink of it, all of you, 28for this is my blood of the[c] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Luke 22:19-20 said:
19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." 20And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, "This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

Upvote 0