Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My friend Dave just got himself a pellet grill/smoker. He's very pleased with it.

I have worked a smoke house in an old-time butcher shop. I've used most of the common types of smoker at some point.

At home I've got an electric and a kamado. The electric is my favorite and I've just about worn it out. I had to rebuild the heating system last year and the seals on the door are not good anymore. It was an economy model by Charbroil. The kamado is better as a grill. It's fairly involved to use it as a smoker although I did a pork butt on it last week. The brand I have is Akorn.

I previously had an off-set model by Charbroil as well. Again, I ran that as a grill more often than a smoker.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟565,348.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
My dad has a barrel although he hasn't used it in several years. I did the Thanksgiving turkey on it once. His is relatively easy to refuel because it's the type where the base can detach. My family are not big fans of turkey but everyone agrees that if we are going to eat a bird, smoked is the best option.

I did a goose on his barrel too. We used to hunt waterfowl.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've made several but this one was my favorite. Plywood box on top of old stove, fired with propane. I place wood chips on the lower pan in the oven. Worked great. Favorite product was natural casing beef wieners.

Pictured are beef briskets cured for beef bacon.

Smokehouse.jpg

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been using a Big Green Egg (kamado) for 17 years. I have done a LOT of both smoking and grilling and have never looked back (unlike Lot's wife, who looked back at the smoking city). I have smoked everything from turkey to brisket to ribs to ...

Upvote 0