Ann Arbor
✟11,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I've decided that my cable bill is too high. I'm going to try a few streaming services. I tried Hulu Live TV which I like but it doesn't have all the channels I want. I'll try DirectTV Now next since it has all the channels plus HBO for $5 and Showtime for $8. When did you cut the cable? What streaming service are you using and how is your experience with it?

maintenance man

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟485,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When did you cut the cable? What streaming service are you using and how is your experience with it?

I've been using Roku for years not and love it. I now have a Roku TV that picks up my home Wi-Fi and I use that along with YouTubeTV which is their streaming service that provides all the news channels I like to watch plus much more.

• Useful
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've decided that my cable bill is too high. I'm going to try a few streaming services. I tried Hulu Live TV which I like but it doesn't have all the channels I want. I'll try DirectTV Now next since it has all the channels plus HBO for $5 and Showtime for $8. When did you cut the cable? What streaming service are you using and how is your experience with it?

I guess it was about 1.5 years ago, when we cut the cord. We had both Netflix ($13.99/month) & Hulu ($5.99/month, not Live TV), for a little while before dropping cable, then added Direct TV Now, with their 60 channel plan, plus HBO, for about $55/month. We liked Direct TV Now's channel lineup, but the constant outages, plus the service's huge data consumption (were close to 1TB cap each month), drove us away from the service.

We went with Sling TV. We got the Sling Blue package, with the Lifestyle Extra add-on, so we're paying $30/month for about 60 channels. We no longer have HBO, which we're really not missing that much, and Sling only has a couple of our local channels. To fix the local channel issue, we got a $10 digital antenna, off Amazon, and now we pick up all of the over-the-air channels in our area, for free.

We like the Sling TV, Hulu (not live) and Netflix combo. And since Tmobile now picks up most of our Netflix bill (we pay $3/month), our monthly cost is $40.99. Much better than our old cable bill that kept going up, up, and away. We watch these services through Roku.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2019
Hilton Head Island SC
✟16,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been using Roku for about 5 years and find it one of the best alternatives. If you are already paying for wifi service then you really don't need to pay for other content. There are thousands of channels (apps) available on the Roku and there are hundreds of churches that not only stream their live services but also have other content such as previous sermons, movies, etc. The Youtube channel on Roku is really nice also. Roku also is increasingly being used by churches to stream their services. In addition, if you don't already have this, get a digital converter for over the air tv. Most local broadcast stations have multiple sub-channels and usually carry a movie channel or two. I get 40+ channels free locally.

Upvote 0

Kayann246

May 26, 2018
Ann Arbor
✟11,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I guess it was about 1.5 years ago, when we cut the cord. We had both Netflix ($13.99/month) & Hulu ($5.99/month, not Live TV), for a little while before dropping cable, then added Direct TV Now, with their 60 channel plan, plus HBO, for about $55/month. We liked Direct TV Now's channel lineup, but the constant outages, plus the service's huge data consumption (were close to 1TB cap each month), drove us away from the service.

We went with Sling TV. We got the Sling Blue package, with the Lifestyle Extra add-on, so we're paying $30/month for about 60 channels. We no longer have HBO, which we're really not missing that much, and Sling only has a couple of our local channels. To fix the local channel issue, we got a $10 digital antenna, off Amazon, and now we pick up all of the over-the-air channels in our area, for free.

We like the Sling TV, Hulu (not live) and Netflix combo. And since Tmobile now picks up most of our Netflix bill (we pay $3/month), our monthly cost is $40.99. Much better than our old cable bill that kept going up, up, and away. We watch these services through Roku.

Sling TV uses less data than Direct TV Now? I have Comcast internet. Early last year they started a data cap. I didn't pay much attention but since I will be streaming I'm going to switch to another local provider that has unlimited data. Does Direct TV Now still experience lots of outrages?

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Sling TV uses less data than Direct TV Now? I have Comcast internet. Early last year they started a data cap. I didn't pay much attention but since I will be streaming I'm going to switch to another local provider that has unlimited data. Does Direct TV Now still experience lots of outrages?

If you're going to have unlimited data, then it doesn't really matter.

For us, Sling TV uses alot less data. First, Sling has 4 video quality/bandwidth usage options you can choose from, but Direct TV Now didn't have that capability. However, the biggest data usage reduction, with Sling TV, came from the fact that many of our shows are on the local networks, and since those networks are not on Sling TV, we're watching them over-the-air, through a digital antenna, so that's not using any data. Whereas, all of the locals are on Direct TV Now, so you're using data the whole time. While on Direct TV Now, we used close to 900GB per month, but with Sling TV, it's down to about 400GB per month.

I can't comment on current Direct TV Now outages, as we dropped them back in June, and signed up with Sling TV. However, looking at the Downdetector, it looks like things haven't changed~~~> www.downdetector.com/status/directv-now . Sling TV's chart looks much better~~~> www.downdetector.com/status/sling . Luckily, if you get Direct TV Now, and there are alot of outages, you're not on a contract, so you can cancel anytime.

Reactions: Kayann246
Upvote 0