Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL - so nu, where's your recipe?

b'Shalom {iPod touch w/CF app}

We had Borscht with or without flanken mostly. And rye bread. Tear off the crust of the rye. Get a clove of garlic. Everyone gets a piece of garlic. Put salt on a napkin, everyone gets a napkin with a pile of salt. Dip garlic in pile of salt then rub it on the rye crust. Spoon in one hand, rye crust in the other.

Sorry no recipes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LOL
kewl
I bet she's got a good one!

We don't do as my grandparents did and my parents don't either. When I was young I'm reminded of Borscht with or without flanken mostly. And rye bread. Tear off the crust of the rye. Get a clove of garlic. Everyone gets a piece of garlic. Put salt on a napkin, everyone gets a napkin with a pile of salt. Dip garlic in pile of salt then rub it on the rye crust. Spoon in one hand, rye crust in the other. The rye thing is a tradition brought over from Odessa.

Borscht isn't new I'm sure you've made it.

Sorry that's all I got.

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
mpossoff said:
We don't do as my grandparents did and my parents don't either. When I was young I'm reminded of Borscht with or without flanken mostly. And rye bread. Tear off the crust of the rye. Get a clove of garlic. Everyone gets a piece of garlic. Put salt on a napkin, everyone gets a napkin with a pile of salt. Dip garlic in pile of salt then rub it on the rye crust. Spoon in one hand, rye crust in the other. The rye thing is a tradition brought over from Odessa.

Borscht isn't new I'm sure you've made it.

Sorry that's all I got.

That's ok, I'm sure others have Cholent recipes :)

I like your family's tradition with the Borscht. But then I think garlic is second only to chocolate as a gift from G-d and proof He loves us! LOL

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Easy G (G²) said:
Fried Chicken...

Nah! LOL

Cholent - started before Shabbat - cooked very slowly - ready to eat and hot by the time lunch time of Shabbat arrives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nah! LOL

Cholent - started before Shabbat - cooked very slowly - ready to eat and hot by the time lunch time of Shabbat arrives.

There is such a thing as Kosher Fried Chicken...and it does take time/energy and patience

And with that being the case, as we've eaten it on Shabbat after fellowship with my Messianic congregation, I had a thought that I'd be content eating quail in the wilderness with the Israelites if that's all they had available...and some spices to shake things up if they got tired of eating bird all the time. Couldn't help but think that when I was eating today after fellowship with the chicken...thinking on all the folks in the South who grew up on yard bird and wondering "Wow, Jews really had NOTHING to be complaining about":)

-----Roast Quail with Lemon Sauce - Cooking Recipes - BeTheCook

Upvote 0

Messianic Jewboy

Senior Veteran
Dec 17, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
✟12,170.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Easy G (G²);60102005 said:
There is such a thing as Kosher Fried Chicken...and it does take time/energy and patience

And with that being the case, as we've eaten it on Shabbat after fellowship with my Messianic congregation, I had a thought that I'd be content eating quail in the wilderness with the Israelites if that's all they had available...and some spices to shake things up if they got tired of eating bird all the time. Couldn't help but think that when I was eating today after fellowship with the chicken...thinking on all the folks in the South who grew up on yard bird and wondering "Wow, Jews really had NOTHING to be complaining about":)

-----Roast Quail with Lemon Sauce - Cooking Recipes - BeTheCook

I was flicking through the channels one day last week and came upon a cooking show. It was a kosher restaurant/caterer located in the south. It was interesting because the caterer who were orthodox obviously did a lot of frying because they were from the south they said, almost everything is fried. One of the dishes they were making was kosher southern fried chicken which is popular they said. Their kosher menu was southern influenced. One food that looked good was corn bread with cut up/ grounded pastrami in it, fried. It was interesting to see a southern style kosher cooking and foods with southern vegetables and other southern favorites.

I think they said a lot of Jews also immigrated in the ports of Savannah. I'm used to where I'm located in the North East, Philly, New York etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I was flicking through the channels one day last week and came upon a cooking show. It was a kosher restaurant/caterer located in the south.
If you happen to remember the name of the show, I'd love to investigate sometime :)

It was interesting because the caterer who were orthodox obviously did a lot of frying because they were from the south they said, almost everything is fried.
Alot of things are indeed fried down in the good old South..
One of the dishes they were making was kosher southern fried chicken which is popular they said. Their kosher menu was southern influenced. One food that looked good was corn bread with cut up/ grounded pastrami in it, fried. It was interesting to see a southern style kosher cooking and foods with southern vegetables and other southern favorites.
Alot of dishes I grew up with in the South I never had any idea that they were truly kosher....and was a bit shocked at firsts since "Kosher" automatically seemed to suggest "not tasty"

The same happened when it came to foods I enjoyed from my West Indian heritage (Barbados, Jamaica, etc) as it concerns things like Jerk Chicken. For there are many Jewish Jamaicans that others are unaware of...and they do ALOT of Kosher Jerk Chicken ( here, here, here, here, here, etc). You can imagine how wild it'd be for others to see someone cooking chicken in the classic style on a big, smoky grill fashioned from a steel drum while seeing the guy with the tongs wearing a yarmulke and looking like typical member of the Jewish community in Crown Heights, unless you counted the T-shirt dyed in the black, green and yellow of the Jamaican flag and the apron stenciled with "Jerk Hall of Fame."
:)
I think they said a lot of Jews also immigrated in the ports of Savannah.
A good number went over..
I'm used to where I'm located in the North East, Philly, New York etc
If I had grown up North East, that would have been something. I'd be more for places like Washington D.C..

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I like your family's tradition with the Borscht. But then I think garlic is second only to chocolate as a gift from G-d and proof He loves us! LOL
Garlic above chocolate any day...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anisavta

Never Forget!
May 25, 2008
Too far away from Jerusalem
✟16,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
  • 3 onions, quartered
  • 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 pounds chuck roast, cut into large chunks
  • 1 cup dry kidney beans
  • 1 cup dried pinto beans
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 5 large potatoes, peeled and cut into thirds
  • boiling water to cover
  • 2 (1 ounce) packages dry onion and mushroom soup mix
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. In a large oven safe pot or roasting pan, saute onions in oil over medium heat.
  2. Add meat, and brown well on all sides.
  3. Mix in beans; stir continuously until the beans start to shrivel. Stir in the barley. Add potatoes, and add just enough boiling water to cover the meat and potatoes. Mix in dry soup mix and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer partially covered for 20 minutes on stove top.
  4. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
  5. Cover pot tightly, and place in preheated oven. Allow to cook overnight for at least 10 to 15 hours. Check periodically to make sure you have enough liquid to cover; add small amounts of water if needed. Do not stir; stirring will break up the chunks of potatoes.
This serves 8

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Have you ever tried Jerk Chicken Cholent Stew? Or simply Jerk Cholent? Takes a bit, but it's well worth it :) That is...if you like Island Spice. Putting chicken into it can shake things up, including bits/pieces of fried chicken into the stew...

Lemon Lamb Cholent is VERY excellent as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0