Favorite quotes from books

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
I know all of you guys have a favorite line or quote from books that just stays with you, so quote it!

:)

I have tons, I'll start with

"Oh, are you doing magic? Let's see it, then."
She sat down. Ron looked taken aback.
"Er-all right."
He cleared his throat.
"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow.
"
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone by J.K. Rowling

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When the soul of a man is born in this country there are nets flung at it to hold it back from flight. You talk to me of nationality, language, religion. I shall try to fly by those nets.
--A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man/James Joyce
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
"I will not be interrupted! Hear me in silence. My daughter and my nephew are formed for each other. They are descended, on the maternal side, from the same noble line; and on the father's, from respectable, honourable, and ancient, though untitled, families. Their fortune on both sides is splendid. They are destined for each other by the voice of every member of their respective houses; and what is to divide them? --the upstart pretensions of a young woman without family, connections, or fortunes! Is this to be endured? But it must not, shall not be! If you were sensible of your own good, you would not wish to quit the sphere in which you have been brought up."

"In marrying your nephew, I should not consider myself as quitting that sphere. Here is a gentleman; I am a gentleman's daughter; so far we are equal."

The argument between Lady Catherine and Elizabeth Bennett in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.
:)

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
[FONT=sans-serif, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular]Fish, I love you and respect you very much. But I will kill you dead before this day ends.

and also:

[/FONT][FONT=sans-serif, Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular]A man can be destroyed but not defeated.

Both from The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
[/FONT]

Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks. I'm glad you started this thread. I always seem to latch on to the offbeat ones. Like so:

I am a sick man… I am a spiteful man. I am an unpleasant man. I think my liver is diseased.
--Notes from Underground/Fyodor Dostoevsky

That's straight genius.:clap:

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
"About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was part of him -- and I didn't know how potent that part might be -- that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."
Twilight by Stephenie Meyers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
That was worse for Uncle Andrew than anything that had happened yet. Such a horrid, bloodthirsty din of hungry and angry brutes he had never heard in his life. Then, to his utter rage and horror, he saw the other three humans actually walking out into the open to meet the animals.

"The fools!" he said to himself. "Now those brutes will eat the rings along with the children and I'll never be able to get home again. What a selfish little boy that Digory is! And the others are just as bad. If they want to throw away their own lives, that's their business. But what about me? They don't seem to think of that. No one thinks of me?"
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

Upvote 0

JennyKatz

I'm a leaf on the wind. . .watch how I soar
Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He had noticed that events were cowards. They didn't occur singly. Instead, they would run in packs and leap out at him all at once. -Neil Gaiman, from Neverwhere

Also from Neil Gaiman, under the character list in his book Good Omens "Crawley, an angel who did not so much as fall as saunter vaguely downwards."

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife. -the well-known first line of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Upvote 0
A

abbiestract

...the dawn rises red...blood has been spilt in the night.-legolas greenleaf, the two towers, movie.

im glad you are here with me, sam, here at the end of all things.-frodo, rotk

im quite finished, sam, the rest is for you.-frodo

there taking the hobbits to isengard!-legolas

tell me where is gandalf, for i much desire to speak with him.-celeborn

the battle for helms deep is over...the battle for middle-earth has just begun.-gandalf

it is but a shadow of a thought that you love...i cannot give you what you seek-aragorn

ok...that is a few of the many,MANY quotes from lotr, and i say them daily.

Upvote 0

Athanasius7

Manalive
Mar 1, 2004
Hazard, Kentucky
Visit site
✟16,134.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh, man...too many quotes for me to know where to even begin (most of them by G.K. Chesterton :))

So I'll just quote one that I just quoted on my LiveJournal earlier today:

From his novel The Napoleon of Notting Hill (1904)

"I suppose," said Adam, turning on him with a fierce suddenness, "I suppose you fancy crucifixion was a serious affair?"

"Well, I..." began Auberon, "I admit I have generally thought it had its graver side."

"Then you are wrong," said Wayne, with incredible violence. "Crucifixion is comic. It is exquisitely diverting. It was an absurd and obscene kind of impaling reserved for people who were made to be laughed at...for slaves and provincials...for dentists and small tradesmen, as you would say. I have seen the grotesque gallows-shape, which the little Roman gutter-boys scribbled on walls as a vulgar joke, blazing on the pinnacles of the temples of the world. And shall I turn back?"

The King made no answer.

Adam went on, his voice ringing in the roof.

"This laughter with which men tyrannize is not the great power you think it. Peter was crucified, and crucified head downwards. What could be funnier than the idea of a respectable old Apostle upside down? What could be more in the style of your modern humour? But what was the good of it? Upside down or right side up, Peter was Peter to mankind. Upside down he still hangs over Europe, and millions move and breathe only in the life of his church."

Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
(these are random ones I had written down recently)

"What a happy woman I am living in a garden with books, babies, birds, and flowers, and plenty of leisure to enjoy them!"

-Elizabeth and Her German Garden, Elizabeth von Arnim

"Too many woman have been silenced in the name of niceness"

-Red, Terry Tempest Williams

"When in doubt, I resort to mildly conservative or British-sounding pronouncements."

-Middlesex, Jeffrey Eugenides

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,557.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
"Reader, I married him." from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

"The parties stood thus:

The two mothers, though each really convinced that her own son was the tallest, politely decided in favour of the other.

The two grandmothers, with not less partiality, but more sincerity, were equally earnest in support of their own descendant.

Lucy, who was hardly less anxious to please one parent than the other, thought the boys were both remarkably tall for their age, and could not conceive that there could be the smallest difference in the world between them; and Miss Steele, with yet greater address gave it, as fast as she could, in favour of each.

Elinor, having once delivered her opinion on William's side, by which she offended Mrs Ferrars and Fanny still more, did not see the necessity of enforcing it by any farther assertion; and Marianne, when called on for her's, offended them all, by declaring that she had no opinion to give, as she had bever thought about it."

From Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility.

Upvote 0

daydreamergurl15

Daughter of the King
Dec 11, 2003
✟15,656.00
Faith
Christian
"The crowd looked up at the gallery reserved for the Flemish ambassadors. It was empty and the door leading into it remained shut. They had been waiting since morning for three things: noon, the Flemish ambassadors and the play. Noon was the only one to arrive in time."
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo

Upvote 0