New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious. What's your favorite discipleship pathway/route outside of reading Scripture and praying?

For example, I adore small groups and seeing children grow in childrens ministry.

My husband values small groups and one-on-one mentorships doing guy stuff.

Other examples might be:
women's groups
couples groups
parenting groups
counseling ministries..etc.

What works for you? And has your preference changed before? Or what hasn't worked for you? And why?

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None has worked for me. After my salvation, that is. Every teacher I've met, is not on my level of understanding (except maybe the Old Testament).
Well, maybe you could be an example for others? Or you weren't wired for discipleship ministry? Some are wired for outreach or academia. Discipleship is my bread and butter. Love it. But some groups I cannot relate to like most women's groups my age.

Outside from that, I was once in a big women's group. I want to say we started with 25 ladies. The leader had been pressured to organize the group and her organization as excellent. The problem was she ran everyone out by week 6-8 but me. I just couldn't leave her. She habitually brought most all conversation back to her struggles with her mother since childhood. I would like to think I helped her by listening even though she was the official leader.

Maybe you won't be the official leader in a group but don't discount your influence if you choose to hang around!

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well, maybe you could be an example for others? Or you weren't wired for discipleship ministry? Some are wired for outreach or academia. Discipleship is my bread and butter. Love it. But some groups I cannot relate to like most women's groups my age.
Yes, I'm trying to be. I'm trying to make disciples, but it's hard.

Maybe you won't be the official leader in a group but don't discount your influence if you choose to hang around!
Well, you're probably familiar with John 16:2 :

"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service." If you outshine the preacher you're very likely to be dismissed from the church.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I'm trying to be. I'm trying to make disciples, but it's hard.

Well, you're probably familiar with John 16:2 :

"They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service." If you outshine the preacher you're very likely to be dismissed from the church.
Ouch. Well, your shine is for Jesus. And we need our church leaders very much. Maybe avoid talking to church leaders for a time to not come off as a problem? I tend to hide from church leaders in children's ministry. They mostly leave me alone there. Or they used to. Blah.

Maybe duck and cover in a quiet group until you find a foothold of acceptance? Tone it down if possible? Practice empathy? People need people. Hold to an indomitable spirit but humbly so. If your gifting is what I think, it has its own weaknesses. You and Jesus got this! One Sunday at a time.

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ouch. Well, your shine is for Jesus.
That's true. They were all really impressed with me in the beginning. He (the preacher) was suggesting I'd become a preacher myself one day. I was only converted for like 2 months. But it didn't end well.

And we need our church leaders very much.
I don't know that. Imagine no churches, but everyone a Bible and internet. People might go seek things out for themselves. Now they're listening to a so-called expert. Creating a sense of false security. Believing like he does is good enough for most.
Maybe avoid talking to church leaders for a time to not come off as a problem? I tend to hide from church leaders in children's ministry. They mostly leave me alone there. Or they used to. Blah.
See, you have the same. Shut up or be gone. lol. They're wolves most of 'm.

The problem is, you're interfering with their flock if you speak out. And they can be offended when confronted. That's most humans by the way. Somebody might like my zeal but what if I confronted them with something they believe incorrectly, according to me. Then they might be offended a little. Truthdoers are better than that though.
Maybe duck and cover in a quiet group until you find a foothold of acceptance? Tone it down if possible? Practice empathy? People need people. Hold to an indomitable spirit but humbly so. If your gifting is what I think, it has its own weaknesses. You and Jesus got this! One Sunday at a time.
I think the time is ripe I had my own church to be honest. I would be the best preacher in town, by far. But, seminary etc lmao. Abiding in Christ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> seminary.

Forgive me God that I only used like 20 >s, to keep it readable.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's true. They were all really impressed with me in the beginning. He (the preacher) was suggesting I'd become a preacher myself one day. I was only converted for like 2 months. But it didn't end well.

I don't know that. Imagine no churches, but everyone a Bible and internet. People might go seek things out for themselves. Now they're listening to a so-called expert. Creating a sense of false security. Believing like he does is good enough for most.
See, you have the same. Shut up or be gone. lol. They're wolves most of 'm.

The problem is, you're interfering with their flock if you speak out. And they can be offended when confronted. That's most humans by the way. Somebody might like my zeal but what if I confronted them with something they believe incorrectly, according to me. Then they might be offended a little. Truthdoers are better than that though.

I think the time is ripe I had my own church to be honest. I would be the best preacher in town, by far. But, seminary etc lmao. Abiding in Christ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> seminary.

Forgive me God that I only used like 20 >s, to keep it readable.

Thanks for sharing. I get how ministry leaders are impressed at first. I've learned to wait for the fallout. Or hide from the get go. I rarely speak to church leaders aloud and when I do its only briefly about inconsequential things. Not kidding. They still find me though. I've learned to wait for that too.

They aren't wolves. They think we are. I don't blame them. A lot of us come off as untamed and arrogant. They have a flock to protect. We are wildcards not easily controlled. Truth's scapegoats sometimes. Punks other times, lol.

Forgive them. Learn to love them warts and all. They'll be more likely to reciprocate. Though not always (shudder, shudder, grimace, grimace.) Please let me encourage you to make sure you can function well in a small group before attempting to climb higher. See it as a test of your readiness.

Don't be too confident. Seminary can shave off some rough edges and promote humility if you let it. But sold out servants of God have a rough life. They say life is harder than you ever think it's going to be. I say double that for wholehearted servants of God. And then there is the extra accountability in Heaven thing for church leaders. No pressure!

I like the idea of humble house churches personally. There seems less need to control or be controlled. Discipleship gets real. Love gets emphasized...etc. All the best! :prayer::clap:

Upvote 0

Jord Simcha

Nov 30, 2019
Groningen
✟60,922.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for sharing. I get how ministry leaders are impressed at first. I've learned to wait for the fallout. Or hide from the get go. I rarely speak to church leaders aloud and when I do its only briefly about inconsequential things. Not kidding. They still find me though. I've learned to wait for that too.

They aren't wolves. They think we are. I don't blame them. A lot of us come off as untamed and arrogant. They have a flock to protect. We are wildcards not easily controlled. Truth's scapegoats sometimes. Punks other times, lol.

Forgive them. Learn to love them warts and all. They'll be more likely to reciprocate. Though not always (shudder, shudder, grimace, grimace.) Please let me encourage you to make sure you can function well in a small group before attempting to climb higher. See it as a test of your readiness.

Don't be too confident. Seminary can shave off some rough edges and promote humility if you let it. But sold out servants of God have a rough life. They say life is harder than you ever think it's going to be. I say double that for wholehearted servants of God. And then there is the extra accountability in Heaven thing for church leaders. No pressure!

I like the idea of humble house churches personally. There seems less need to control or be controlled. Discipleship gets real. Love gets emphasized...etc. All the best! :prayer::clap:
You're welcome, and thank you. :)

I really think they are wolves. Those that preach incorrectly that is. That's what the Word of God says they are. Wolves in sheep's clothing. Doesn't mean I don't forgive them or hate them, but I do pity them, not being able to find the Kingdom of God while it's required for their profession.

Can confidence be a fruit of the Spirit? I feel really strong in the Lord. Strengthened.
I disagree that servants of God have a rough life. I find things easy since I matured in the Lord. He makes it light.

I never heard of the term humble house church. All the best to you too.

Upvote 0

HappyHope

Jul 22, 2019
New Mexico
✟54,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It was nice chatting with you too. Perhaps your situation is different than I suggested. Wrongness does happens at church. Some church leaders seem to radiate with certain sins. By far, most seem to bow to the same God though. Praise the Lord.

People with the gift of prophecy are like church police I think. And often rejected.

Bible stories can get distorted accidentally. Interpretations can differ but it can get much much worse.

And just being present and quiet can bother people. It gets rough. One church I was sent to had an overhanging dark funk. I was told not to volunteer there. I didn’t understand. Their word were technically correct for the most part. Without speaking much to anyone, I was under attack from 4-5 church leaders before finally being allowed to leave. Usually I deal with one or two.

At a different church I was attacked by a couple of children's ministry leaders going after me through one of my children on big church screens no less. The Lord told me not to go to church that day. But I just had to watch online out of curiosity. They were also moms. I still want to vomit thinking about it. These people aren't always wolves. They make mistakes. And they know how to fight dirty.

I'm sorry if you have come across wolves. It's excellent to know you have a strong footing with the Lord. Hold to an unshakable and childlike faith. God is good! As far as a hard life, until we are broken a few times, we may not be as usable as the Lord needs us. Be blessed but be warned!

Last edited:
Upvote 0