Kentucky
✟1,327.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Having been in a few worship bands and secular bands, I've noticed that a lot of "Christian" music just doesn't do it for me, lyric-wise. I've also noticed that I'm a huge fan of "story" songs. I realized one day that there is a "Christian" song from a secular artist that, frankly, brings tears to my eyes. There are actually three of them that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed that some of the most powerful "Christian" songs come from those that are Christians performing in the secular community - and if you could post the song that is special to you.

BTW, the first song on my list is this one:

Reactions: seekingmuch
Apr 22, 2018
North Florida
✟9,630.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I heard this before, its funny because I never listen to that genre of music. There are some good Christian artists out there with great lyrics, most of them don't get picked up by a major record label though. Here's a song that fits what your looking for with Stormzy, Ed Sheeran, and Wretch 32.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
There are actually quite a number of songs with Christian-oriented (or at least inspirational) that come to mind by mainstream artists. Some of the artists happen to be Christians who just don't feel that every song they record has to be about God. Other artists, while not necessarily embracing the Christian faith, are willing to record a few songs here and there that deal with a lot of subject matter regarding God and anything of a Biblical nature. Some of these artists have been known to use music to present deep questions they have on the topic. At any rate, there are a few that come to my mind when this type of topic is brought up.

Off the top of my head, here are a few favorites of mine.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure that everyone has heard of You Light Up My Life by Debby Boone. Now I realize that some may think of this song as nothing more than the shallow "fluff" we always hear, but I have heard that Debby meant this to be a Christian song (and my guess is that she may not have even anticipated at the time of recording it how popular and timeless it would become). And I agree it works as a Christian (or at least inspirational) song in that it can sang straight to God as a prayer from the heart. I am also well aware that some here will strongly disagree as it does not mention God or Jesus explicitly and therefore we can "make it refer to anything or anybody" (a mate, a good friend, a parent, or maybe even a pet), and while this might be true in many cases, it stands that God falls into the range of whom the song can be addressed to, and therefore, for certain individuals, it is Christian. And even if that weren't the case, it is still a beautiful and decent song, and songs need not be "Christian" all of the time to move us emotionally and reach our hearts. As long as it doesn't go against Biblical principles, God can work through it. Just my thoughts.

But this is a sharing thread, not a debate thread, so here it is.

Upvote 0

bill5

Jul 30, 2011
✟63,199.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
um, a song about love in general is not specifically a "Christian" song. Other beliefs are big on love too yknow. :)

Anyway...

I can't believe no one has mentioned Bob Dylan's "Slow Train Coming," which was a fine album yet widely panned by his anti-Christian loser "fans" of the day.

Also it might be a reach but James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" might fit here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ivan57

Feb 1, 2018
California
✟26,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The song can be open ended, but I’ve always found “End of Heartache” by Killswitch Engage to have a personal meaning to me in regards to my faith. It takes about the pain and misery of being without someone and wanting to bridge the division between the speaker and them. The background voice “Seek Me” “Call Me” in the chorus makes me think of how God reaches out to us when we wander or go off the right track, and the misery of being without Him.

Upvote 0

SilvaMay

Self-doubting mess
Aug 15, 2016
Slovakia
✟24,316.00
Country
Slovakia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Some of them may not be literally christian, but they definitely have at least christian vibe.

That lyrics: Don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear. The trouble—it might drag you down. If you get lost, you can always be found. Just know you're not alone 'Cause I'm gonna make this place your home.

For times of temptation and sin (or darkness generally)

Upvote 0

SilvaMay

Self-doubting mess
Aug 15, 2016
Slovakia
✟24,316.00
Country
Slovakia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Guess that this is obvious. These are generaly known for having a christian message.

This may for someone be a bit depressing one, but it definitely has a christian vibe.

About trying to live without God, after we've experienced life with Him.

Thank you very much for creating this thread.

Upvote 0

seekingmuch

Mar 14, 2018
PANAMA CITY
✟42,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Unless you are listening to Motley Crue sing about the devil, why limit yourself to just Christian music? I find most of it boring. I'd stay away from Rob Zombie since he worships the devil, too.

Right now, I'm jamming and writing a novel listening to Marilyn Manson's No Reflection, Disposable Teens and Sweet Dreams. Most of his stuff is too weird for me. LOL I love Def Leppard (but their hits are mostly sexual innuendos), AC/DC, Whitesnake, Queen, Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga (she's got a beautiful voice), pop music (all kinds from Swift to Gomez to Carly Rae Jepsen). If it is catchy, I probably have listened to it. Lzzy Hale is awesome.

Reactions: daffers234
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.