Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, all! I am wanting to further improve my spiritual life by spending more time worshipping God with song, and I am most at peace with calming/relaxed music, as it helps me to also be able to pray, and vent my needs and feelings in prayer to God, and also perhaps let my emotions out when I need to as well. I am looking for both vocal and instrumental music (sometimes instrumental music is made by some Christian artists who have melodies appear in their minds, likely from God, and they dedicate their song even if instrumental to Him) and I would love to hear you guys' opinions on your favorites.

I have a few as well, to give some examples on the types of things I like in worship music, and sometimes I just use instrumental calming music even if it is not Christian, but sing to the Lord while I listen or just silently pray in my mind.

Behold My Servant
Porcelain (Air Studios 2013)
Beauty of Grace
Come Thou Fount

I understand that we can worship both silently (in our hearts) and vocally in song, but I also want your opinions, is it okay to sing/worship Him in song while listening to a non-Christian but instrumental song in the background? I suppose we can worship Him while doing all things, but I would like to hear your opinions about that too. This composer, in particular, Mattia Cupelli.. even though I am not aware if he is a Christian or not, his music makes me feel very connected to my spiritual thoughts as well as thinking deeply about what I need to talk to the Lord about. Maybe some of this music might also help you to think about your needs from Him?

In Quel Sorriso

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Instrumental:

Phil Keaggy:
Master and the Musician
Wind in the Wheat
Beyond Nature
Lights of Madrid

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Hi, all! I am wanting to further improve my spiritual life by spending more time worshipping God with song, and I am most at peace with calming/relaxed music, as it helps me to also be able to pray, and vent my needs and feelings in prayer to God, and also perhaps let my emotions out when I need to as well. I am looking for both vocal and instrumental music (sometimes instrumental music is made by some Christian artists who have melodies appear in their minds, likely from God, and they dedicate their song even if instrumental to Him) and I would love to hear you guys' opinions on your favorites.

I have a few as well, to give some examples on the types of things I like in worship music, and sometimes I just use instrumental calming music even if it is not Christian, but sing to the Lord while I listen or just silently pray in my mind.

Behold My Servant
Beauty of Grace
Come Thou Fount

I understand that we can worship both silently (in our hearts) and vocally in song, but I also want your opinions, is it okay to sing/worship Him in song while listening to a non-Christian but instrumental song in the background? I suppose we can worship Him while doing all things, but I would like to hear your opinions about that too. This composer, in particular, Mattia Cupelli.. even though I am not aware if he is a Christian or not, his music makes me feel very connected to my spiritual thoughts as well as thinking deeply about what I need to talk to the Lord about. Maybe some of this music might also help you to think about your needs from Him?

In Quel Sorriso

Even if something is not per se "Christian-labeled", it can certainly inspire us and draw our thoughts in the most unusual ways of pondering the beauty and exquisiteness and purity and holiness of our God that only the Holy Spirit can interpret. I've done so with Lisa Gerrard singing the theme song for the movie "Gladiator".

This is beautiful, by the way. Thank you for sharing it.

• Friendly
Reactions: JessicaMS
Upvote 0

JessicaMS

Feb 14, 2018
Harahan
✟16,543.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Even if something is not per se "Christian-labeled", it can certainly inspire us and draw our thoughts in the most unusual ways of pondering the beauty and exquisiteness and purity and holiness of our God that only the Holy Spirit can interpret. I've done so with Lisa Gerrard singing the theme song for the movie "Gladiator".

This is beautiful, by the way. Thank you for sharing it.
Thank you for your reply, Brinny. I appreciate your thoughts! And I definitely agree, music such as that often makes me think of heavenly things too, even if not the intention. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for your reply, Brinny. I appreciate your thoughts! And I definitely agree, music such as that often makes me think of heavenly things too, even if not the intention. :)

This one brought me to tears.

Again, one of those times that words cannot express or suffice what was happening in my heart and soul....

Exquisite.

Thank you again.

• Friendly
Reactions: JessicaMS
Upvote 0

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Wedding music (for the bride of Christ)

this video is somehow explaining the love of our Father in heaven who sacrificed His own Son Jesus to save us, the train speaks about the world which has violated the RED LIGHT (SIN) and people are going to destruction and death without they realize it.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Behold My Servant
Beauty of Grace
Come Thou Fount

In Quel Sorriso
Acoustic guitar and piano classics like Amazing Grace seem to calm me down. God bless :).

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Behold My Servant
Beauty of Grace
Come Thou Fount

In Quel Sorriso

My context is more "gospel music", but I have previously enjoyed "contemporary christian music". I recently heard "What a Wonderful Name" on youtube, and was impressed with its beauty and serenity. Give it a listen if you like ...

Reactions: Monad_Wisdom
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monad_Wisdom

Mar 25, 2018
London
✟8,960.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For relaxing music I usually listen to such examples as the following...

Although some of Josquins' works was secular in nature.

Also, Gregorian chants I find very relaxing...

As for music used in worship/prayer to God. I think first of all music in general if it is secular I think we have to ask ourselves what is the message the composer is trying to convey and/or does this music promote or glorify sin in any way shape or form. If the answer to all of these is a positive message and that the music does not promote of glorify sin then secular music is ok, in my opinion. Although, as a recent convert to Jesus and although I collected music from all over the world at one time or another, I have been at least trying to stay clear of secular music as best as I can.

With regards to prayer, I pray in silence. I think the issue that I could have with instrumental music playing while in prayer is that it could distract me, influence my emotions and ultimately lead to (or perceived at least) lack of connection to God because of it. However, for anyone else I think it is individual and thus subjective in the answer to this question. Each to their own :)

God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.