Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes I've thought about trying to join the brotherhood there but I hear it is quite busy with pilgrims? something like 200 a week? Seems a little loud for my tastes.

not sure how much they get, but it is quiet there. being Athonite and strict, they do cultivate silence.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Not Mount Athos, but closely related. My wife and I have just been spending a few days at St Anthony's monastery in Arizona. Back to La La land tomorrow.
It is simply amazing what Elder Ephraim has been able to establish here in the desert.
Glory to God!

It's a beautiful monastery.

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

OrthodoxStruggler

Oct 29, 2018
Southeast
✟8,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Divorced
Esphigmenou is the only one I would visit.

Well, approach carefully lest you become the latest victim of their molotov cocktails!

esphigmenou_molotov.JPG

Molotov cocktail gets Esphigmenou abbot twenty years in jail

Upvote 0

RobNJ

So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!
Aug 22, 2004
✟166,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well since I'm not trying to evict the monks from their monastery, and insert my own in their stead, I don't think I'd have the same problem. ;)

Then again, if I violated my lease, my landlord would be within his rights to evict me. :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Good thing the Ecumenical Patriarch is the touchstone of Orthodoxy. What a poor landlord he would make otherwise.

whether or not the EP is good or bad is irrelevant. you don't justify bad behavior with more bad behavior.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
whether or not the EP is good or bad is irrelevant. you don't justify bad behavior with more bad behavior.

So following that same logic, the MP parishes in Ukraine should surrender to the "legal" church of the EP?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So following that same logic, the MP parishes in Ukraine should surrender to the "legal" church of the EP?

no...that doesn't even follow what I said, and does not make sense.

Met Onufry is the landlord. the EP can only make the claim over Ukraine if Met Onufry dies, retires, goes into schism, goes into heresy, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
no...that doesn't even follow what I said, and does not make sense.

Met Onufry is the landlord. the EP can only make the claim over Ukraine if Met Onufry dies, retires, goes into schism, goes into heresy, etc.

It does make sense, you just don't like it. Even by your own words, the EP is the landlord, because legal rights pass to him when Onufry dies, etc. The EP granted the churches to the MP, and revoked the grant. The MP has been evicted from Ukraine.

Onufry's resistance in Ukraine is the same as the monks of Esphigmenou. Yet you claim one is excusable, and the other is not?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It does make sense, you just don't like it. Even by your own words, the EP is the landlord, because legal rights pass to him when Onufry dies, etc. The EP granted the churches to the MP, and revoked the grant. The MP has been evicted from Ukraine.

Onufry's resistance in Ukraine is the same as the monks of Esphigmenou. Yet you claim one is excusable, and the other is not?

no, because Met Onufry was never under the EP, but only Moscow. the EP transferred Kiev to Moscow, so they can only claim Kiev when the canonical bishop dies.

that is not the same as breaking communion and refusing to leave the monastery. Met Onufry's resistance would be the same if he were ever under the EP. but since he never was, it's not.

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
no, because Met Onufry was never under the EP, but only Moscow. the EP transferred Kiev to Moscow, so they can only claim Kiev when the canonical bishop dies.

that is not the same as breaking communion and refusing to leave the monastery. Met Onufry's resistance would be the same if he were ever under the EP. but since he never was, it's not.

In the case of Ukraine, Moscow is under the EP. Using your analogy, the EP is the landlord, and the MP sublet. So my comparison stands.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the case of Ukraine, Moscow is under the EP. Using your analogy, the EP is the landlord, and the MP sublet. So my comparison stands.

Moscow is not under the EP in Ukraine. none of those bishops are a part of the EP's Synod or were consecrated by the EP. you are only showing ignorance here.

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

MP parishes aren't in schism and are fully recognized by the EP I'm not sure what the comparison is here. Moscow is not under the EP, neither is the Ukraine. This is hardly a comparison to a monastery on MT ATHOS which is directly under the EP.

Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Moscow is not under the EP in Ukraine. none of those bishops are a part of the EP's Synod or were consecrated by the EP. you are only showing ignorance here.

Whose synod the successor comes from isn't the issue, and not the case I made. If the EP can decide who rules in Ukraine without consulting the MP, then it is the EP who is the landlord. You can derail this all you want, but it's pretty darn clear that the EP holds the deed, and the MP just sublets to Ukraine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
MP parishes aren't in schism and are fully recognized by the EP I'm not sure what the comparison is here. Moscow is not under the EP, neither is the Ukraine. This is hardly a comparison to a monastery on MT ATHOS which is directly under the EP.

Have you been following the news at all since last Summer? They are in schism. They no longer commemorate each other as I understand. Or the MP no longer commemorates the EP at least. That is the definition of schism.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,180,783.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They still can't claim it as Moscow, not Constantinople will select the new bishop.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Whose synod the successor comes from isn't the issue, and not the case I made. If the EP can decide who rules in Ukraine without consulting the MP, then it is the EP who is the landlord. You can derail this all you want, but it's pretty darn clear that the EP holds the deed, and the MP just sublets to Ukraine.

except the EP cannot decide in the Ukraine. he isn't the landlord over Ukraine. no derailing at all. bringing up that the Synod is under Moscow is one reason why the EP isn't the landlord.

he is, however, the landlord over Mt Athos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They still can't claim it as Moscow, not Constantinople will select the new bishop.

I just meant if Moscow agreed that Ukraine should go under Constantinople (ie if the transfer was only temporary), that discussion would only happen after Met Onufry since he is a canonical bishop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JasonV

Nov 2, 2017
USA
Visit site
✟26,455.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
except the EP cannot decide in the Ukraine. he isn't the landlord over Ukraine. no derailing at all. bringing up that the Synod is under Moscow is one reason why the EP isn't the landlord.

So Onuphry dies, who gets to choose the new leader of the Ukrainian church? The MP or the EP?

he is, however, the landlord over Mt Athos.

If he were still Orthodox, sure.

Upvote 0