• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Favorite Athonite Monastery

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by ☦Marius☦, Jan 6, 2019.

1. ☦Marius☦

☦Marius☦ Murican Supporter

+2,044
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    What is you guy's favorite Athonite monastery? And if you are a male, which would you be willing to spend your life in? Post favorite pictures and Icon's from it if you have them.

Also do you think there is a possibility of there being a future English speaking skete there?

My personal favorites are St. Panteleimon's, Vatopedi, and Simonopetra (Mosty because of the choir)

St. Panteleimon's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vatopedi
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Simonopetra
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,046
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Since I'm not male......I haven't really come up with a favorite Athonite monastery. Of course, I love the writings from the saints who either lived there or visited.

For a state-side monastery, I love St. Tikhon's. Vashon Monastery on the West Coast sounds great as well, though I've never gotten over there. I also love the streamed services from Holy Transfiguration monastery in Ellwood City. Someday I'd like to go on a pilgrimage there.

3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,226
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    never been to Mt Athos (yet), but I would love to see Little St Anne's where Elder Joseph the hesychast labored.

4. Jesus4Madrid

Jesus4Madrid Orthodox Christian

+729
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Simonopetra. I’ve heard visitors say that the monks there always look like they have just recently showered. Whatever. It’s one of the most beautiful spots on earth.

But there are so many others on Mt. Athos. I almost didn’t want to leave.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Jesus4Madrid

+729
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    upload_2019-1-7_2-45-8.jpeg

6. Jesus4Madrid

+729
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Before any trip to Mt. Athos, it is crucial to understand the Greek perspective of the world: upload_2019-1-7_2-54-1.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. ☦Marius☦

+2,044
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    "We"

I'll never forget when I was Chrismated and an old Greek woman came up to me, embraced me, and exclaimed "Now you are Greek!"

8. Ioustinos

Ioustinos Veteran

+156
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    I have only visited a few monasteries on Mt. Athos so my knowledge of which are my favorite are limited. However, if I had to choose today I would stay at Iveron.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Phronema

Phronema Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,139
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I have not visited any of them, though I hope to one day.

That said, I'd be happy with the monastery that wanted to welcome me in to their brotherhood. So, who ever I got along the best with, and of course was invited by.

I will say as a side note, I've seen a lot of great videos from the Elders at Vatopedi.

10. JasonV

JasonV Member

+82
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Esphigmenou is the only one I would visit.

11. Jesus4Madrid

+729
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    And you would thus miss out on a lot of beauty. I suspect that pretty much sums up your approach to Orthodoxy.

12. JasonV

JasonV Member

+82
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Thankfully your suspicions are, once again, groundless.

13. RobNJ

RobNJ So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish!

+3,253
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Imagine my surprise

14. ArmyMatt

+15,226
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    to be fair though, I think that's the only monastery he is in communion with.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  15. Jesus4Madrid

+729
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Oh, not at all. Because you have excommunicated yourself from the Church, you would be unable to approach the chalice at the monasteries mentioned by posters here. And hence you would miss out on a lot of beauty.

That is unfortunate, but the choice is yours. The Church will welcome you back.

16. ☦Marius☦

+2,044
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Wait what? Did I miss something?
    Edit: Never mind I found the controversy. I do sympathize with the monks as I strongly dislike the last several Ecumenical Patriarchs-

However there are better ways to handle things then becoming schismatics and throwing Molotov Cocktails at police officers.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  17. ArmyMatt

+15,226
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    yes, there are. many monks on Athos don't like what the EP has done.

18. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+7,749
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Not Mount Athos, but closely related. My wife and I have just been spending a few days at St Anthony's monastery in Arizona. Back to La La land tomorrow.
    It is simply amazing what Elder Ephraim has been able to establish here in the desert.
    Glory to God!

19. ArmyMatt

+15,226
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I love St Anthony's. one of my best Spring Breaks in college.

20. ☦Marius☦

+2,044
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Yes I've thought about trying to join the brotherhood there but I hear it is quite busy with pilgrims? something like 200 a week? Seems a little loud for my tastes.