• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Fauci: Early COVID-19 vaccines will only prevent symptoms, not block the virus

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by Johnboy53, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Johnboy53

Johnboy53 Looking For Interesting News.

+2,562
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,236
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    That seems bogus to me. I have never heard of a vaccine that only deals with symptoms. (Are there any medical doctors on CF that can confirm that expectation?)

I've always heard that vaccines "pre-train" the immune system to fight the virus before it appears, where there would be a learning curve, otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  3. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,495
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    They are doing the best they can. Since people that get COVID-19. Can get it again in a few months. After they got it. We're basically screwed.

4. sesquiterpene

sesquiterpene Active Member

+321
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    This is poor reporting. A vaccine that only prevents symptoms is the minimum that would be deemed acceptable, but no one is designing such a vaccine - it doesn't seem possible to do that. Everyone is hoping that their vaccine will impede transmission of the disease. It seems likely that a vaccine that prevents symptoms will also prevent transmission.

5. Mayzoo

Mayzoo Well-Known Member

+865
    Christian
    Private
    Asymptomatic =/= non-contagious

6. sesquiterpene

sesquiterpene Active Member

+321
    United States
    Agnostic
    Private
    Surely, but these most likely will correlate well in clinical trials.

7. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+16,629
    United States
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    I do think it's poor reporting. Fauci's statement is

“What I would settle for, and all of my colleagues would settle for, is the primary endpoint to prevent clinically recognizable disease,” he said.

The secondary endpoint is to 'block the virus', which I take to mean to stop the pandemic by eliminating the spread of the virus in a community.

8. OddityCrisis

OddityCrisis New Member

+23
    United States
    Other Religion
    Engaged
    Doesn't matter to me. I won't be getting any of them.

9. Xenophon

Xenophon Well-Known Member

+565
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    So we should kill all humans or all organic so that the world is absolutely hygienic. Because getting the numbers down is the most important thing and once everything is dead, there will be no more COVID cases and the world will be saved. -- Efficiency and progress are ours once more.

10. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 this statement is not true Supporter

+12,706
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Vaccines are never 100 percent effective. It's possible to become infected but asymptomatic and transmit the Coronavirus, despite being vaccinated. Wearing masks may still be necessary if we are going to be serious about stopping the transmission of the virus.

11. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+940
    Christian
    Married
    This is true.

But if any of these vaccines are as effective as the measles vaccine the second injection could prevent infection.

As fast as these vaccines are coming out the two year long study needed to find out if they prevent infection won't be completed.
    And those who received the placebo will likely become vaccinated as well.

12. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 this statement is not true Supporter

+12,706
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    I certainly think they are necessary to end the pandemic, but they are just one piece in a larger puzzle.

13. JohnDB

JohnDB Regular Member

+940
    Christian
    Married
    Maybe...
    Maybe not.

The data from the trials is not published yet. Everything is still in double blindedness.

We still will need therapies and antiviral medications.
    We still will need better and cheaper vaccines.
    These ones that are the front runners are more like 2nd and 3rd generation vaccines due to the work already done on SARS and MERS. Same blueprints used for making these.

It's not just America that needs these vaccines...it's our trading partners as well.

Should have enough vaccines to reach the whole world with some sort of vaccine by June/July. Maybe as late as September.