jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Father says little Honduran girl on Time cover was not taken from mother

Thank goodness, that little girl wasn't separated, however, it does show again the media must report facts and not give into sensationalism when it's for important things like this, because it gives Trump more ammo at them. I agree Trump's policies stink, but on the other hand resorting to not fully reporting the facts is really going to bite them.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Thank goodness, that little girl wasn't separated, however, it does show again the media must report facts and not give into sensationalism when it's for important things like this, because it gives Trump more ammo at them. I agree Trump's policies stink, but on the other hand resorting to not fully reporting the facts is really going to bite them.

The Time cover doesn't say that she was. Does the story specifically say the girl on the cover was?

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Time cover doesn't say that she was. Does the story specifically say the girl on the cover was?

It implies that she was. Claiming otherwise takes significant amounts of denial or dishonesty given what the debate has been about for days (children separated from parents).

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It implies that she was. Claiming otherwise takes significant amounts of denial or dishonesty given what the debate has been about for days (children separated from parents).
No it doesn't, it takes an unbiased eye and understanding of symbolism. You even said the magic word, children.

Upvote 0

jazzflower92

Jul 31, 2013
✟59,085.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No it doesn't, it takes an unbiased eye and understanding of symbolism. You even said the magic word, children.

She was being used as a symbol of Trump's usual stupidity. The media needs to be more careful of how it reports things.

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Yes, you are right, a single child standing crying with Trump looking down on her, all whilst THE discussion is children separated from parents, have nothing to do with each other. It's just my imagination.

Not. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
6 hours south of the Golden Dome of the University
✟510,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Appealing to pity does achieve the intended consequence of obscuring peoples' ability to look at a situation logically and rationally.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the media had access to these children maybe they could have pictured a child that was actually separated from her mother. But they don't.

• Winner
Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right, a single child standing crying with Trump looking down on her, all whilst THE discussion is children separated from parents, have nothing to do with each other. It's just my imagination.

Not. :rolleyes:
You said the magic word again, children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
She was being used as a symbol of Trump's usual stupidity. The media needs to be more careful of how it reports things.
They should have included a footnote that explain the photo.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟510,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

She wasn't a symbol of Trump's stupidity. She was a symbol of pity. She was an object used for the express purpose of inducing people to formulate an opinion about the zero tolerance policy on the basis of emotion, pity, as opposed to facts, logical analysis of those facts, and rational thought.

Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
She wasn't a symbol of Trump's stupidity. She was a symbol of pity. She was an object used for the express purpose of inducing people to formulate an opinion about the zero tolerance policy on the basis of emotion, pity, as opposed to facts, logical analysis of those facts, and rational thought.
I'm sure almost everyone had an opinion already, so I doubt that's the intention of the cover.
Would rational thought lead to a different opinion?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Appealing to pity does achieve the intended consequence of obscuring peoples' ability to look at a situation logically and rationally.
Did you ever take a Marketing class? It's all about perception. It isn't anything new for news outlets use it in times of war, or charities to raise donations, etc..
Politicians use it. The whole of Trump's campaign was targeted on people's emotions, mostly anger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟510,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did you ever take a Marketing class? It's all about perception. It isn't anything new for news outlets use it in times of war, or charities to raise donations, etc..
Politicians use it. The whole of Trump's campaign was targeted on people's emotions, mostly anger.

I do not disagree with what you've said but I can still not favor attempts to appeal to pity at the expense of rationally, logically, thinking about the subject matter, and logically analyzing the situation, the facts themselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I do not disagree with what you've said but I can still not favor attempts to appeal to pity at the expense of rationally, logically, thinking about the subject matter, and logically analyzing the situation, the facts themselves.
I agree, but it is up to the individual to do the research and attempt to sort it out. Too many people blame others for their lack of knowledge.

Upvote 0

NotreDame

Domer
Site Supporter
Jan 24, 2008
✟510,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sure almost everyone had an opinion already, so I doubt that's the intention of the cover.
Would rational thought lead to a different opinion?

I do not know how many people had already formulated an opinion when the photo was revealed.

However, appealing to pity isn't applicable to only those people yet to formulate an opinion. Appealing to pity is as equally applicable to people already with an opinion and the appeal to pity seeks to have them alter, modify, or abandon their opinion.

Would rational thought lead to a different opinion

It is rationally plausible that rational thought, free from pity, can lead someone to conclude the zero tolerance policy is acceptable. The photo of the girl is an appeal to pity, an attempt to elicit a particular point of view about the zero tolerance policy based on emotion, specifically the heartache one would experience in seeing the photo and based on the heartache, come to the conclusion of the injustice of the zero tolerance policy.

It is effective, as I personally know of some people who altered their opinion after seeing the photo, or listening to purported sounds of kids crying at a detention center.

When I maintained my opinion, in spite of the photos emotional appeal to me, since I am a father, and those individuals appealing to my pity on a personal level asking me to place myself at the border with my kids like the girl and mom in the photo, I was proclaimed to be non-human but a Vulcan.

So, yes, the photo is an appeal to pity applicable to those yet to form an opinion and for those who have already formed an opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I do not know how many people had already formulated an opinion when the photo was revealed.

However, appealing to pity isn't applicable to only those people yet to formulate an opinion. Appealing to pity is as equally applicable to people already with an opinion and the appeal to pity seeks to have them alter, modify, or abandon their opinion.

It is rationally plausible that rational thought, free from pity, can lead someone to conclude the zero tolerance policy is acceptable. The photo of the girl is an appeal to pity, an attempt to elicit a particular point of view about the zero tolerance policy based on emotion, specifically the heartache one would experience in seeing the photo and based on the heartache, come to the conclusion of the injustice of the zero tolerance policy.

It is effective, as I personally know of some people who altered their opinion after seeing the photo, or listening to purported sounds of kids crying at a detention center.

When I maintained my opinion, in spite of the photos emotional appeal to me, since I am a father, and those individuals appealing to my pity on a personal level asking me to place myself at the border with my kids like the girl and mom in the photo, I was proclaimed to be non-human but a Vulcan.

So, yes, the photo is an appeal to pity applicable to those yet to form an opinion and for those who have already formed an opinion.
No, it seeks to sell magazines.

Upvote 0