Father Joseph Ratzinger's prophetic words from 1970 are starting to come true...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,479.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
“From the crisis of today the Church of tomorrow will emerge—a Church that has lost much.”

From the crisis of today the Church of tomorrow will emerge—a Church that has lost much. It will become small and will have to start afresh more or less from the beginning. It will no longer be able to inhabit many of the edifices it built in its palmy days. As the number of its adherents diminishes, so will it lose many of its social privileges. In contrast to an earlier age, it will be seen much more as a voluntary society, entered only by free decision. As a small society it will make much bigger demands on the initiative of its individual members. Undoubtedly it will discover new forms of ministry, and will ordain to the priesthood approved Christians who pursue some profession. In many smaller congregations or in self-contained social groups, pastoral care will normally be provided in this fashion. Alongside this, the full-time ministry of the priesthood will be indispensable as formerly.

Continued-
Father Joseph Ratzinger's prophetic words from 1970 are starting to come true...

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,138.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Interesting statements. Like this one:

As a small society it will make much bigger demands on the initiative of its individual members. Undoubtedly it will discover new forms of ministry, and will ordain to the priesthood approved Christians who pursue some profession

I thought the gender-neutral language in this was very interesting...

And this:

The process will be all the more arduous, for sectarian narrow-mindedness as well as pompous self-will will have to be shed. (…).

Obviously, we're not there, because sectarian narrow-mindedness is stronger than ever.

But he's wrong so far. The Church is bigger than ever, having evangelized the third world. But in doing so they have stopped dialoguing with the first and second worlds, and for that reason they are closing buildings and becoming poor.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Interesting statements. Like this one:

I thought the gender-neutral language in this was very interesting...

And this:

Obviously, we're not there, because sectarian narrow-mindedness is stronger than ever.

But he's wrong so far. The Church is bigger than ever, having evangelized the third world. But in doing so they have stopped dialoguing with the first and second worlds, and for that reason they are closing buildings and becoming poor.
Just so you know - there are women who do many duties to help priests now - and they are called lay ecclesiastical ministers. They are not ordained priests.... for in case this is where you think the Church is heading. It isnt. Wanted to point that out before wheels start turning in here.

I know - that's what i am studying besides my certificate for MA.

;)

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟275,937.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Church is bigger than ever, having evangelized the third world. But in doing so they have stopped dialoguing with the first and second worlds, and for that reason they are closing buildings and becoming poor.

If "dialogue with" means in practical terms "compromise with", then I say good; let's become poor.

What will it profit us if we gain the entire world and lose our own souls?

Upvote 0