Father, how do I receive Holy Communion well?

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At the Last Supper Our Lord instituted the Eucharist and the priesthood so that we would have the incredible privilege of receiving his Sacred Body and Blood as food for the journey to heaven. What a tremendous gift!

Therefore, before we even consider approaching the sacred altar for Holy Communion, we should remind ourselves not so much of what we are receiving, but whom we are receiving. Holy Communion is all about relationship — our personal relationship with Jesus Christ, but also our varied relationships with others. In fact, the Latin word communio is a combination of the words “union” and “with”. Holy Communion is more than just about “me and Jesus,” but also an expression of “we and Jesus.”

To receive Holy Communion well, we ought to examine our heart regarding our relationship with Christ and our attitude toward our brothers and sisters. The Church offers many different examinations of conscience so that we can determine whether we are disposed to receive the Lord in Holy Communion.

We might ask ourselves the following questions: Have I been a “friend” to Jesus (Jn 15:14)? Am I guilty of grave, personal sin (Mt 15:18-19)? Have I seen Jesus in my least brothers and sisters (Mt 25:40)? Have I tried to love my enemies and those I find difficult to get along with (Lk 6:27)? Do I need to go to confession before I am ready to receive the Lord? Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord (1 Cor 11:27).

Continued below.
Father, how do I receive Holy Communion well? - Catholic East Texas

• Friendly
Reactions: WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟440,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
At the Last Supper Our Lord instituted the Eucharist and the priesthood so that we would have the incredible privilege of receiving his Sacred Body and Blood as food for the journey to heaven. What a tremendous gift!

Therefore, before we even consider approaching the sacred altar for Holy Communion, we should remind ourselves not so much of what we are receiving, but whom we are receiving. Holy Communion is all about relationship — our personal relationship with Jesus Christ, but also our varied relationships with others. In fact, the Latin word communio is a combination of the words “union” and “with”. Holy Communion is more than just about “me and Jesus,” but also an expression of “we and Jesus.”

To receive Holy Communion well, we ought to examine our heart regarding our relationship with Christ and our attitude toward our brothers and sisters. The Church offers many different examinations of conscience so that we can determine whether we are disposed to receive the Lord in Holy Communion.

We might ask ourselves the following questions: Have I been a “friend” to Jesus (Jn 15:14)? Am I guilty of grave, personal sin (Mt 15:18-19)? Have I seen Jesus in my least brothers and sisters (Mt 25:40)? Have I tried to love my enemies and those I find difficult to get along with (Lk 6:27)? Do I need to go to confession before I am ready to receive the Lord? Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord unworthily will have to answer for the body and blood of the Lord (1 Cor 11:27).

Continued below.
Father, how do I receive Holy Communion well? - Catholic East Texas
It's serious and can sometimes make me pause if I could or should go.
I'm unaware of grave sins... I reflect. But am I correct?
:scratch:

Upvote 0