Fat Barbie ... or should we say plump ... or curvy?

patrick jane

MAD Bible Believer
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
St. Louis - Ephesians 2:6-8
Visit site
✟132,528.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it'd be cool to have a nerd Barbie. :satisfied:
I'm thinking they could have dozens of Barbies for all genres, styles and looks.

Reactions: Deidre32
Upvote 0

The Cadet

SO COOL
Apr 29, 2010
Munich
✟45,617.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Time ran an article on this which I found very interesting:

http://time.com/barbie-new-body-cover-story/

“Hello, I’m a fat person, fat, fat, fat,”

A 6-year-old girl giving voice for the first time to curvy Barbie sings in a testing room at Mattel’s headquarters. Her playmates erupt in laughter.

When an adult comes into the room and asks her if she sees a difference between the dolls’ bodies, she modifies her language. “This one’s a little chubbier,” she says. Girls in other sessions are similarly careful about labels. “She’s, well, you know,” says an 8-year-old as she uses her hands to gesture a curvier woman. A shy 7-year-old refuses to say the word fat to describe the doll, instead spelling it out, “F, a, t.”

“I don’t want to hurt her feelings,” she says a little desperately.

As always, Barbie acts as a Rorschach test for the girls who play with her—and the adults who evaluate her. It’s a testament to anti-bullying curriculums in elementary schools that none of the girls would use words like fat in front of an adult, which Barbie’s research team says wasn’t true even three years ago. Still, the girls learning the ways of political correctness do not as wholeheartedly embrace the new dolls as their moms.

“We see it a lot. The adult leaves the room and they undress the curvy Barbie and snicker a little bit,” says Tania Missad, who runs the research team for Mattel’s girls portfolio. “For me, it’s these moments where it just really sets in how important it is we do this. Over time I would love it if a girl wouldn’t snicker and just think of it as another beautiful doll.”​

Slate puts it in more stark terms:

These are kids who are barely out of kindergarten, and they already know that the thicker Barbie is the odd one out. Clearly, Barbie isn’t the only one indoctrinating young ones into the cult of super-thin perfection. Celebrity culture, which promotes skinny bodies just as handily as Barbie, already has a vice-like grip on little girls’ psyches​

Upvote 0

Lik3

Nov 21, 2011
South Carolina
✟94,571.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
fat%20Barbie.jpg

Triple chin is overkill IMO.

What plus sized or fat chick has three chins in reality? I agree. It is total overkill.

Reactions: patrick jane
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,059.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
L
From the OP article. Still looks very attractive.

Still?? I actually thought the curvy barbie looks better than the original...."Hails a taxicab and goes to the nearest Toys'r'us"......

Looks too real though, I'm actually worried these things might come alive at night! :o

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Still?? I actually thought the curvy barbie looks better than the original...."Hails a taxicab and goes to the nearest Toys'r'us"......

Looks too real though, I'm actually worried these things might come alive at night! :eek:
hyper-realistic-dolls-michael-zajkov-gif.gif

Upvote 0

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ok guys, here is how this works.

When someone post "Your Barbie is so fat..." someone else has to post "How fat is she?" Then comes the punchline. Such as:

"Your Barbie so fat!"

"How fat is she?"

"Your Barbie so fat, when Buzz Lightyear saw her he ran to infinity and beyond!"

Heh...

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If we want realism, why not a chunky Barbie with type II diabetes, on antidepressants who hooks up with a bunch of dudes, gets pregnant and has an abortion? (free PP sticker with every doll!)

LOL!

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,342,946.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Ok guys, here is how this works.

When someone post "Your Barbie is so fat..." someone else has to post "How fat is she?" Then comes the punchline. Such as:

"Your Barbie so fat!"

"How fat is she?"

"Your Barbie so fat, when Buzz Lightyear saw her he ran to infinity and beyond!"

Heh...

LOL!

Upvote 0