United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only things I can find are in relation to Lent:
"From the perspective of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, "giving something up for Lent" is entirely a matter of Christian freedom. It would be wrong, from our perspective, for the church to make some sort of "law" requiring its members to "give something up for Lent," since the Scriptures themselves do not require this.

If, on the other hand, a Christian wants to give something up for Lent as a way of remembering and personalizing the great sacrifice that Christ made on the cross for our sins, then that Christian is certainly free to do so — as long as he or she does not "judge" or "look down on" other Christians who do not choose to do this."

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you're interested in keeping a fasting rule, ask the Orthodox. They've been doing it since Jesus walked the earth.

The Fasting Rule of the Orthodox Church

It does seem quite complex, but keep in mind, the goal of fasting is to discipline our appetites and turn our focus away from earthly things to heavenly things.

Upvote 0

Silverback

Feb 13, 2019
South East
✟66,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
If you're interested in keeping a fasting rule, ask the Orthodox. They've been doing it since Jesus walked the earth.

The Fasting Rule of the Orthodox Church

It does seem quite complex, but keep in mind, the goal of fasting is to discipline our appetites and turn our focus away from earthly things to heavenly things.

I was stationed in Greece, Crete to be specific, fasting is not as popular with the Orthodox as one would think, at least outside of a monastic community. I new a whole lot of Greeks, who claimed to be Orthodox, and to the best of my knowledge none of them followed the fasting rules.

Western society trends are starting to take hold in most Orthodox nations. They have all become very secular, and church attendance is dropping by 5% per year in some places. Many Orthodox in Greece, anyway, can be found sniffing around any number of Pentecostal churches springing up throughout the country.

Upvote 0