Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello brothers and sisters, I wanted to start this thread on fasting. It is a discipline that is talked about much in scripture, but rarely one that is performed amongst modern Christians (at least in my experience); when reading about the effects and benefits in scripture, it is a reasonable conclusion that every Christian ought to fast in order to walk in the Spirit.

Now, I know that there are many Christians on here from different walks and paths, some liberal, some conservative; but nevertheless, the necessity of fasting for a Christian is clear. So, in your experience, how has fasting been for you? How long did you fast, and what did it accomplish for you? Why did you fast in the first place?

Secondly, should Christians fast from the standpoint of being obedient to God, or simply to help to equip ourselves for a more spiritual walk?

Should one fast food altogether, should one fast both food and drink. How long should a Christian fast, and how often?

Any feedback is appreciated.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In our tradition, fasting (if it's done with food, which isn't appropriate for everyone) means abstention from certain types of food on certain days, and usually portion control as well.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In our tradition, fasting (if it's done with food, which isn't appropriate for everyone) means abstention from certain types of food on certain days, and usually portion control as well.
Yeah, it would depend on the individual's health.

• Agree
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello brothers and sisters, I wanted to start this thread on fasting. It is a discipline that is talked about much in scripture, but rarely one that is performed amongst modern Christians (at least in my experience); when reading about the effects and benefits in scripture, it is a reasonable conclusion that every Christian ought to fast in order to walk in the Spirit.

Now, I know that there are many Christians on here from different walks and paths, some liberal, some conservative; but nevertheless, the necessity of fasting for a Christian is clear. So, in your experience, how has fasting been for you? How long did you fast, and what did it accomplish for you? Why did you fast in the first place?

Secondly, should Christians fast from the standpoint of being obedient to God, or simply to help to equip ourselves for a more spiritual walk?

Should one fast food altogether, should one fast both food and drink. How long should a Christian fast, and how often?

In addition to what Archer mentioned I'd just add that there's a wealth of information out there regarding Orthodoxy, and fasting. They are a group of modern Christians who still actively fast. I'd rather not talk too much about my personal experiences as it may come across as if I'm being prideful, and that's certainly not the intent with fasting. Though if you look into what I've suggested above it should answer a lot of your questions.

I'd just add that it's advised to only fast under the care, and guidance of a Spiritual Father, or priest.

I hope this helps. God be with you.

Upvote 0

Call me Nic

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2017
✟481,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What about abstaining from food altogether as Christ did in the wilderness?

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about abstaining from food altogether as Christ did in the wilderness?
Generally, we abstain from food from the night before up through when we receive (or would receive) Communion on Sunday morning. But otherwise, major abstention from food entirely is not practiced, as far as I know.

• Informative
Reactions: Call me Nic
Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Generally, we abstain from food from the night before up through when we receive (or would receive) Communion on Sunday morning. But otherwise, major abstention from food entirely is not practiced, as far as I know.
Traditionally, Holy Friday is a fast of total abstinence. Holy Thursday’s meal is the last main meal prior to St Basil’s liturgy on Holy Saturday. In practice, strict abstinence is somewhat relaxed.

• Informative
Reactions: archer75
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,202.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've fasted a great deal and used to fast each week on Friday. It depends on the situation. I've participated in 24 hour fasts with the church and 3 day fasts at home. I don't eat food. I'll have water and coffee or tea to give me a buffer so I don't get headaches. I use multi-day fasts for serious issues and weekly fast for problems that may take longer to break or alleviate spiritual impediments.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
In Orthodoxy, fasting varies between persons (some are medically not able to fast as strictly) and for different purposes (some times - especially leading right up to the Crucifixion and burial, are stricter), and where one is practicing the discipline (in monasteries is generally stricter, etc.).

Whole books can be (and have been) written on it.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Worth a separate post IMO - fasting can be a WONDERFUL tool for putting down the flesh and at the same time drawing closer to God.

It is rarely done in isolation in Orthodoxy though. What I mean is that it is intentionally paired with increased prayer, especially, and usually more Scripture and/or other spiritual reading, as well as giving to the poor, etc. Many take the money (or food) they would be using and instead give it to feed the poor. Noticing our own hunger reminds us to think of those who have less to eat. It also reminds us of our own weakness and dependence upon God, etc.

It is not generally meant to be the kind of fast that causes one to be more open to delusion (in other traditions I've been suggested to go completely without food and sometimes water for extended periods, remain awake for days at a time, etc.). While there can be a type of benefit if these total abstention fasts are properly done, there can be a greater danger of increasing in pride (which is also something we must guard against in Orthodox fasting - that's the reason we have a spiritual director). Extreme deprivation of the body can also lead to delusion, and that is something we must be careful to avoid, especially in spiritual matters. Multiple-day sleep deprivation is a prime example of that risk.

Vigils (extended periods of prayer and/or worship without sleep) are also practiced in Orthodoxy sometimes, but they generally may last through a night and then the person gets a little sleep the next day.

Whether fasting from food, sleep, or whatever, part of the goal is always to keep enough strength that one stays in their rational mind and has enough strength to keep up with worship, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jdwbs

Jan 24, 2019
Nashville
✟15,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think fasting has the potential to be a great way to draw closer to God. The problem is we as individuals can be to focused on the hardship it represents for us. As with anything, we need to have the right heart about us. Here is what I found the Bible says about fasting .

Last edited:
Upvote 0

geodub

Jan 28, 2019
Memphis
Visit site
✟16,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are several types and length of times I've heard about. An old friend of mine once told me it was about developing a deeper relationship with the Lord. He told me about the sacrifice involved and putting Him first.

I have tried many different types and times and not always been successful. But I can say in each experience there was always a moment when the Lord gave me something valuable. I really feel it's all about relationship.

Upvote 0

Danayah

Feb 16, 2019
Caribbeans
✟9,237.00
Country
Jamaica
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Fasting I have never due under the leadership of Christ, unfortunately but I have practiced multiple times as alternative healing method.

How?
Water only fasting: which I do often for 24hrs, sometimes 2days and a maximum of 7 days which I completed once.
Dry fasting (no food or water): which I have done for 18-24hrs.
Juice feasting (no solids.. Also called a fast, though it isn't in truth): which I have done for 13-15 days.

I have felt spiritual effects of fasting even during my days of atheist belief. In future I will continue to fast but now with awareness and purpose plus prayer.

Dry fasting I would like to do for 2-3 days with prayer, followed immediately by 7-21 days of water fasting for the purpose of humbling myself, allowing for the receipt if the holy spirit and the release of fleshly desires.

Hoping for the revival of this topic as I believe that combined with prayer and meditation on the Word... this is a mighty weapon against the devil and his agents.

Reactions: James R.
Upvote 0

James R.

May 5, 2018
Los Angeles
✟16,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Our Lord Jesus Christ died for us all and he didn't hold back so why should we? I say one should hold back from ALL food except water. I mean you can always lie to yourself and just "fast" from some types of food resulting in you over eating on a different food just to say you "fasted". The real problem is that many of us brothers and sisters don't really look into our Bible for answers and simply go off by what a pastor, priest or spiritual guide tells us what's fine and acceptable. Diabetic, sick, elderly and children are excluded. I'm typing from my phone so pasting every bible verse related to fasting is quite a hassle.

Upvote 0

carp614

Apr 21, 2016
Home
✟29,620.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm trying to fast this year for the first time. I'm 44 and I've basically never before tried to restrict my diet in any meaningful way. Here's what I'm doing and how it is going:
I'm following Daniel fast general guidelines as laid out by my pastor for 40 days. I have some specific goals for personal spiritual growth particularly around prayer and my role as spiritual leader in my home and marriage. Also praying for our church to prosper and for our building plan.

It has been very difficult for me to stick to the dietary restrictions, in fact I have failed more than once in the last 20 or so days. It has gotten harder as time has passed. Initially I had some headaches, fatigue, and grumpiness. All of that improved within a week or so. Get-togethers are my biggest challenge. Each time I fail I rededicate myself to continuing this discipline. It has been fascinating and frustrating to discover how weak my will is.

It has been a fruitful experience spiritually. I have been much more mindful of my need for Jesus. My inability to stick to even a mildly restricted diet (honestly all I've done is cut out a bunch of foods I normally eat. I haven't tried to restrict my portions. I'll try that next time) has been a constant reminder of my brokenness and my desperate need for the Lord.

Some really terrible stuff has happened during this time. A couple of my friends have committed suicide in the last few weeks. This has obviously impacted my goals for the fast as I switched gears to ask for God's mercy and provision for the families involved. I did find myself better able to weather the stress of it all and provide more comfort than I would have before the fast, because before the fast I would have gone straight into using my own strength to fix it instead of leaning on God.

So overall it has been difficult and I have struggled to maintain the dietary restrictions, but the experience has been spiritually fruitful. I can't say if I will do this again next year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums