Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A thread for resources on the practice of fasting from a Reformed perspective.

"Fasting is clearly a private and voluntary practice; we should no more prescribe it than we do times of private prayer and Bible reading. Our Lord made clear that all such pious activity should be done in secret.

Still the fact that fasting is a private practice does not mean that the Christian community should say nothing about it. The church urges us to pray steadfastly, to read God's Word regularly, and to give generously. It should urge members to fast also, informing them how it may be done so as to contribute to their spiritual growth.

Lent has been a traditional time of fasting. By fasting during this special season of the church year, we humble ourselves as a remembrance of how Jesus humbled himself while on earth. We remind ourselves to observe the priorities our Lord displayed as he walked the way of obedience to the deadly cross." Fasting: Guidelines for Reformed Christians | Reformed Worship

"Fasting is also used in the Scriptures, along side prayers to seek God’s guidance. In Acts chapter 14, verse 23, Paul and Barnabas, we are told, before they appointed elders, prayed and fasted. Why? Because they recognized that that appointment was of the utmost importance. Who would be the elders of God’s people? Who would be their shepherds? This, they needed the guidance of the Holy Spirit for. And so they prayed and they fasted before those elders were appointed, because they knew how significant it was that God’s guidance be gained. David Brainard, the great missionary, also practiced the pattern of fasting and praying when he needed guidance. In his journal on Monday, April 19, 1742, he recorded this: “I set apart this day for fasting and prayer to God for His grace especially to prepare me for the work of ministry, to give me divine aid and direction in my preparation for that great work. And in His own time to send me into the harvest.” Brainard was preparing to decide whether he should go to the fields of missions. He fasted and he prayed and tells us what he experienced on that day of prayer and fasting: “I felt the power of intercession precious immortal souls, for the advancement of the kingdom of my dear Lord and Savior and the world and with all a most sweet resignation and even consolation and joy in the thoughts of suffering hardships and distresses and even death itself in the promotion of the Gospel. My soul was drawn out very much for the world, for multitude of souls. I think that I have more enlargement for sinners than for the children of God, though I felt as if I could spend my life in cries in prayer for both. I enjoyed great sweetness in communion with my dear Savior. I think that I never in my life felt an entire windiness from this world and so much resigned to God in everything. Prayer and fasting before we seek God for guidance.”" True Religion, Part 4: Fasting | Reformed Theological Seminary

"Calvin defines fasting as follows: “we do not understand it simply as restraint and
abstemiousness in food, but as something else. Throughout its course, the life of the godly
indeed ought to be tempered with frugality and sobriety, so that as far as possible it bears some resemblance to a fast. But, in addition, there is another sort of fasting, temporary in character, when we withdraw something from the normal regimen of living, either for one day or for a definite time, and pledge ourselves to a tighter and more severe restraint in diet than ordinarily. This consists in three things: in time, in quality of foods, and in smallness of quantity” (4.12.18). Basically, for Calvin this means, for certain periods of time, to avoid delicacies and eat more sparingly, “only for need, not also for pleasure.”" https://www.presbyterianmission.org...sting_in_the_bible_and_reformed_tradition.pdf

John Calvin on Fasting:

15. A holy and lawful fast has three ends in view. We use it either to mortify and subdue the flesh, that it may not wanton, or to prepare the better for prayer and holy meditation; or to give evidence of humbling ourselves before God, when we would confess our guilt before him. The first end is not very often regarded in public fasting, because all have not the same bodily constitution, nor the same state of health, and hence it is more applicable to private fasting. The second end is common to both, for this preparation for prayer is requisite for the whole Church, as well as for each individual member. The same thing may be said of the third. For it sometimes happens that God smites a nation with war or pestilence, or some kind of calamity. In this common chastisement it behooves the whole people to plead guilty, and confess their guilt. Should the hand of the Lord strike any one in private, then the same thing is to be done by himself alone, or by his family. The thing, indeed, is properly a feeling of the mind. But when the mind is effected as it ought, it cannot but give vent to itself in external manifestation, especially when it tends to the common edification, that all, by openly confessing their sin, may render praise to the divine justice, and by their example mutually encourage each other.

16. Hence fasting, as it is a sign of humiliation, has a more frequent use in public than among private individuals, although as we have said, it is common to both. In regard, then, to the discipline of which we now treat, whenever supplication is to be made to God on any important occasion, it is befitting to appoint a period for fasting and prayer. Thus when the Christians of Antioch laid hands on Barnabas and Paul, that they might the better recommend their ministry, which was of so great importance, they joined fasting and prayer (Acts 13:3). Thus these two apostles afterwards, when they appointed ministers to churches, were wont to use prayer and fasting (Acts 14:23). In general, the only object which they had in fasting was to render themselves more alert and disencumbered for prayer. We certainly experience that after a full meal the mind does not so rise toward God as to be borne along by an earnest and fervent longing for prayer, and perseverance in prayer. In this sense is to be understood the saying of Luke concerning Anna, that she “served God with fastings and prayers, night and day” (Luke 2:37). For he does not place the worship of God in fasting, but intimates that in this way the holy woman trained herself to assiduity in prayer. Such was the fast of Nehemiah, when with more intense zeal he prayed to God for the deliverance of his people (Neh. 1:4). For this reason Paul says, that married believers do well to abstain for a season (1 Cor. 7:5), that they may have greater freedom for prayer and fasting, when by joining prayer to fasting, by way of help, he reminds us it is of no importance in itself, save in so far as it refers to this end. Again, when in the same place he enjoins spouses to render due benevolence to each other, it is clear that he is not referring to daily prayer, but prayers which require more than ordinary attention.

Jean Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion, IV, xii, 15.

Please add to this thread or feel free to disagree with the material already posted.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

"Fasting is clearly a private and voluntary practice; we should no more prescribe it than we do times of private prayer and Bible reading. Our Lord made clear that all such pious activity should be done in secret.

Still the fact that fasting is a private practice does not mean that the Christian community should say nothing about it. The church urges us to pray steadfastly, to read God's Word regularly, and to give generously. It should urge members to fast also, informing them how it may be done so as to contribute to their spiritual growth.

Lent has been a traditional time of fasting. By fasting during this special season of the church year, we humble ourselves as a remembrance of how Jesus humbled himself while on earth. We remind ourselves to observe the priorities our Lord displayed as he walked the way of obedience to the deadly cross." Fasting: Guidelines for Reformed Christians | Reformed Worship

"Fasting is also used in the Scriptures, along side prayers to seek God’s guidance. In Acts chapter 14, verse 23, Paul and Barnabas, we are told, before they appointed elders, prayed and fasted. Why? Because they recognized that that appointment was of the utmost importance. Who would be the elders of God’s people? Who would be their shepherds? This, they needed the guidance of the Holy Spirit for. And so they prayed and they fasted before those elders were appointed, because they knew how significant it was that God’s guidance be gained. David Brainard, the great missionary, also practiced the pattern of fasting and praying when he needed guidance. In his journal on Monday, April 19, 1742, he recorded this: “I set apart this day for fasting and prayer to God for His grace especially to prepare me for the work of ministry, to give me divine aid and direction in my preparation for that great work. And in His own time to send me into the harvest.” Brainard was preparing to decide whether he should go to the fields of missions. He fasted and he prayed and tells us what he experienced on that day of prayer and fasting: “I felt the power of intercession precious immortal souls, for the advancement of the kingdom of my dear Lord and Savior and the world and with all a most sweet resignation and even consolation and joy in the thoughts of suffering hardships and distresses and even death itself in the promotion of the Gospel. My soul was drawn out very much for the world, for multitude of souls. I think that I have more enlargement for sinners than for the children of God, though I felt as if I could spend my life in cries in prayer for both. I enjoyed great sweetness in communion with my dear Savior. I think that I never in my life felt an entire windiness from this world and so much resigned to God in everything. Prayer and fasting before we seek God for guidance.”" True Religion, Part 4: Fasting | Reformed Theological Seminary

"Calvin defines fasting as follows: “we do not understand it simply as restraint and
abstemiousness in food, but as something else. Throughout its course, the life of the godly
indeed ought to be tempered with frugality and sobriety, so that as far as possible it bears some resemblance to a fast. But, in addition, there is another sort of fasting, temporary in character, when we withdraw something from the normal regimen of living, either for one day or for a definite time, and pledge ourselves to a tighter and more severe restraint in diet than ordinarily. This consists in three things: in time, in quality of foods, and in smallness of quantity” (4.12.18). Basically, for Calvin this means, for certain periods of time, to avoid delicacies and eat more sparingly, “only for need, not also for pleasure.”" https://www.presbyterianmission.org...sting_in_the_bible_and_reformed_tradition.pdf

John Calvin on Fasting:

15. A holy and lawful fast has three ends in view. We use it either to mortify and subdue the flesh, that it may not wanton, or to prepare the better for prayer and holy meditation; or to give evidence of humbling ourselves before God, when we would confess our guilt before him. The first end is not very often regarded in public fasting, because all have not the same bodily constitution, nor the same state of health, and hence it is more applicable to private fasting. The second end is common to both, for this preparation for prayer is requisite for the whole Church, as well as for each individual member. The same thing may be said of the third. For it sometimes happens that God smites a nation with war or pestilence, or some kind of calamity. In this common chastisement it behooves the whole people to plead guilty, and confess their guilt. Should the hand of the Lord strike any one in private, then the same thing is to be done by himself alone, or by his family. The thing, indeed, is properly a feeling of the mind. But when the mind is effected as it ought, it cannot but give vent to itself in external manifestation, especially when it tends to the common edification, that all, by openly confessing their sin, may render praise to the divine justice, and by their example mutually encourage each other.

16. Hence fasting, as it is a sign of humiliation, has a more frequent use in public than among private individuals, although as we have said, it is common to both. In regard, then, to the discipline of which we now treat, whenever supplication is to be made to God on any important occasion, it is befitting to appoint a period for fasting and prayer. Thus when the Christians of Antioch laid hands on Barnabas and Paul, that they might the better recommend their ministry, which was of so great importance, they joined fasting and prayer (Acts 13:3). Thus these two apostles afterwards, when they appointed ministers to churches, were wont to use prayer and fasting (Acts 14:23). In general, the only object which they had in fasting was to render themselves more alert and disencumbered for prayer. We certainly experience that after a full meal the mind does not so rise toward God as to be borne along by an earnest and fervent longing for prayer, and perseverance in prayer. In this sense is to be understood the saying of Luke concerning Anna, that she “served God with fastings and prayers, night and day” (Luke 2:37). For he does not place the worship of God in fasting, but intimates that in this way the holy woman trained herself to assiduity in prayer. Such was the fast of Nehemiah, when with more intense zeal he prayed to God for the deliverance of his people (Neh. 1:4). For this reason Paul says, that married believers do well to abstain for a season (1 Cor. 7:5), that they may have greater freedom for prayer and fasting, when by joining prayer to fasting, by way of help, he reminds us it is of no importance in itself, save in so far as it refers to this end. Again, when in the same place he enjoins spouses to render due benevolence to each other, it is clear that he is not referring to daily prayer, but prayers which require more than ordinary attention.

Please add to this thread or feel free to disagree with the material already posted.

Yours in the Lord,
I believe that fasting is a very healthy thing to do for both Spiritual and physical health. I knew little to nothing about fasting when God The Father Called me and Put me in a fast. That was the beginning of my illumination and rebirth. God’s Will be done.

jm

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak."

So the flesh is inextricably connected to the spirit. Fasting strengthens the flesh and so mitigates it's downward pull on the spirit.

Reactions: JM
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Ash Wednesday tomorrow.
maxresdefault.jpg

The ash is a lovely tree, but I don't see the significance.

• Haha
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
John Knox fasted and prayed,

“Give me Scotland or I die!”

Knox fasted so often that it is said Queen Mary feared his prayers more than all the armies of Scotland.

Knox on:

WHAT FASTING AND ALMS-DEEDS ARE, WITH PRAYER

And albeit to fervent prayer are joined fasting, watching, and alms-deeds, yet none of them are the cause that God does accept our prayers; but they are spurs which suffer us not to vary, but make us more able to continue in prayer, which the mercy of God does accept. But here it may be objected, that David prays, “Keep my life, O Lord, for I am holy. O Lord, save my soul, for I am innocent; and suffer me not to be consumed” (Ps. 86:2). Also Hezekiah, “Remember, Lord, I beseech thee, that I have walked righteously before thee, and that I have wrought that which is good in thy sight” (2 Kings 20:3). These words are not spoken of men glorious, neither yet trusting in their own works. But herein they testify themselves to be the sons of God, by regeneration; to whom he promises always to be merciful, and at all times to hear their prayers.

The cause of their boldness was Jesus Christ. And so their words spring from a wonted, constant, and fervent faith, surely believing that, as God of his infinite mercy had called them to his knowledge, not suffering them to walk after their own natural wickedness, but partly had taught them to conform themselves to his holy law; and that for the promised Seed’s sake; so might he not leave them destitute of comfort, consolation, and defence in so great and extreme necessity. And so they allege not their justice to glory thereof, or to put trust therein, but to strengthen and confirm them in God’s promises.

And this consolation I would wish all Christians in their prayers: a testimony of a good conscience to assure them of God’s promises. But to obtain what they ask must only depend upon him, all opinion and thought of our own justice being laid aside. And moreover David, in the words above, compares himself with King Saul, and with the rest of his enemies, who wrongfully persecuted him; desiring of God that they prevail not against him, as [though] he would say, “Unjustly do they persecute me, and, therefore, according to my innocence defend me.” For otherwise he confesses himself most grievously to have offended God, as in the preceding places he clearly testifies. (end quote)

May you celebrate Lent by feasting on the word and sacrament.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

PS: Before commenting read Yes and No: Lent and the Reformed Faith Today

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"Why the fast? In the first place, it was due to the desperate situation in which the people found themselves and their need to show their dependence on God’s kindness. Going without food put the people in a state of helplessness that helped them understand how they had to rely on His grace in every situation. This fast further aided them to implore the Lord for help with all their hearts. This is not to say that their fasting guaranteed God would respond favorably, for fasting is not done in hopes of binding the Lord to a certain course of action. John Piper explains: “[Fasting] is not first offered to God that we might be paid back because of it. It is first given by God that we might benefit from it and that he might be glorified through it” (A Hunger for God, p. 177). Fasting reminds us of our creatureliness and moves us to learn better what it means to depend on our Creator, thereby glorifying His name."

The Role of Fasting

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
FASTING
by Archibald Alexander

Yesterday a pious young minister called upon me, and said he wished I would write a short article on the duty of fasting. He observed, that among Christians of our day he feared this duty was much neglected.

I referred him to a valuable discourse of the late venerable Doctor Miller on that subject, published some years ago--which he said he had not seen. I told him that I was not in favor of periodic fasts once a week or once a month; that there were times when we ought not to fast--as our blessed Savior said to the disciples of John, in answer to their question, "Why do we and the Pharisees often fast, but your disciples fast not? Can the children of the bridechamber mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the Bridegroom shall be taken away from them, then shall they fast."

Yet soon after our conversion he determined to fast one day in the week; but after practicing this for some time, he found that it was degenerating into a formal observance, and he gave up the practice. He remarked that it was evident from one declaration of our Lord, that there were cases of obstinate evils from which deliverance was not obtained, without adding fasting to our prayers. The reference was to Matt. 17:21: "Howbeit, this kind goes not out but by prayer and fasting."

Fasting has made a part of all religions, true and false, and is much practiced among the heathen, the Jews, the Mohammedans, the Romanists, and the oriental Christians. And because the practice has been turned to superstition, Protestants have too much neglected this duty. But eminently devout men in all ages have found fasting an auxiliary to devotion and to the mortification of sin.

Some professors neglect it altogether, under the false notion that literal fasting is not enjoined, but only penitence and abstaining from sin. There are, however, degrees of fasting, both as to the time of abstinence from food, and whether the abstinence be total or partial. The Ninevites, when brought to repentance by the preaching of Jonah, tasted neither bread nor water for three whole days. This was a severe fast. Daniel fasted for three full weeks; but this was not a total abstinence, for he says, "I ate no pleasant bread, neither came meat nor wine in my mouth." And Peter's fast, when he saw the vision of the sheet let down, was only until three o'clock.

External fasting, without corresponding internal penitence and humiliation, is hypocrisy--and such fasting is severely reproved by the prophet. "'Why have we fasted, and you see it not? Why have we humbled ourselves, and you take no knowledge of it?' Behold, in the day of your fast you seek your own pleasure, and oppress all your workers. Behold, you fast only to quarrel and to fight and to hit with a wicked fist. Fasting like yours this day will not make your voice to be heard on high. Is such the fast that I choose, a day for a person to humble himself? Is it to bow down his head like a reed, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? Will you call this a fast, and a day acceptable to the Lord?" (Isaiah 58:3-5) "Even now--this is the LORD's declaration--turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, weeping, and mourning. Tear your hearts, not just your clothes, and return to the LORD your God. For He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger, rich in faithful love, and He relents from sending disaster." (Joel 2:12-13)

And our Lord warns us against ostentation in our fasting: "Whenever you fast, don't be sad-faced like the hypocrites. For they make their faces unattractive so their fasting is obvious to people. I assure you: They've got their reward! But when you fast, put oil on your head, and wash your face, so that you don't show your fasting to people but to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. (Matthew 6:16-18)

One special occasion on which the apostles and their companions were accustomed to fast, was when ministers were to be ordained and sent forth. Thus we read in Acts 13:2, "As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away." And again, chapter 14:23, "And when they had ordained elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord." Is this practice now followed by those who ordain? As fasting renders some people sick, so that it hinders their devotion, such should adopt partial abstinence; for the Lord will have mercy, and not sacrifice.

One end of fasting, is that we may "afflict our souls."

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

John Calvin on Fasting:

Yours in the Lord,

jm
I admit not reading all of your post. In my life, I was called to a fast Spiritually. I knew little to nothing about it but entered into none the less. On the 3rd day of that fast my eyes were opened and that was just the beginning about 30 years ago.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I admit not reading all of your post. In my life, I was called to a fast Spiritually. I knew little to nothing about it but entered into none the less. On the 3rd day of that fast my eyes were opened and that was just the beginning about 30 years ago.

Years ago I was inspired to give up my bad habits (coffee and beer) and to fast. I began with one day fasts culminating in a three day fast during which I suffered greatly. Medicines taken years before were expunged, very painfully through my sinuses. When I broke the fast I was literally a new person. It was truly a 'miracle'. I have enjoyed very good health since and still do one day fasts almost every week. It makes the Sabbath rest even more effective.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Years ago I was inspired to give up my bad habits (coffee and beer) and to fast. I began with one day fasts culminating in a three day fast during which I suffered greatly. Medicines taken years before were expunged, very painfully through my sinuses. When I broke the fast I was literally a new person. It was truly a 'miracle'. I have enjoyed very good health since and still do one day fasts almost every week. It makes the Sabbath rest even more effective.
I believe that fasting is great for body and soul. The fast I was called into would have lasted a long time had it been up to me. My wife was concerned hence making me eat. The biggest reason I want to fast and live in The Way is Spiritual. Your testimony prayerfully will cause others to fast and seek.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I believe that fasting is great for body and soul. The fast I was called into would have lasted a long time had it been up to me. My wife was concerned hence making me eat. The biggest reason I want to fast and live in The Way is Spiritual. Your testimony prayerfully will cause others to fast and seek.

Fasting not only purifies your body but it unclutters your mind. Your thoughts and attitudes rise to a higher level, thus even fasting for health purposes yields spiritual rewards.

My favorite information resource has been "The Miracle of Fasting" by the late Paul C. Bragg, which I believe is still in print. It has been called "the bible of health" by many in the health culture community. His writing style is quite dated but is very inspirational and informative.

Last edited:
Upvote 0