Fasting for something/someone

ImHisServant

Let Everything That Has Breath Praise The Lord!!
Jun 21, 2005
Florida
Visit site
✟18,039.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Pyrogenesis

Weapons Grade
Feb 7, 2005
Snells Beach
✟1,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
From what I can gather, fasting is employed to cause Gods face to turn towards you, or to make your prayers more powerful. It's essentially a physical signal of your devotion to God and what you're praying for. When Esther had to plead for the life of all the Jewish people, she asked them to fast and pray for her (Esther 4:16), and Jesus fasted for 40 days and nights while seeking God in the wilderness.

I think that fasting for the healing of your boyfriend is perfectly acceptable in the eyes of God. I'm fasting Coke for a year while my friends are on a mission trip in Malaysia (I used to be addicted to it; sometimes I'd drink over a gallon a day). Maybe wierd to some people, but God get's it :)

Reactions: BeachBlonde
Upvote 0

ren_leung

Jun 11, 2005
Australia
Visit site
✟7,660.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
thanx for the biblical reply; i needed it as well =)

im on a missions trip in HongKong. iv only been Christian for a year... so i really needed God's guidance, and His supernatural touch on my loved ones' heart.

i decided 2 fast on food, telling myself that 'im doing this 2 show God and myself how dedicated i m', so that my prayer for my loved ones wud b more effective.
i believed this is wat God set in my heart.

i felt a little challenged bcoz i felt it wasnt the rite motive 2 fast.
but this biblical example has given me peace.

thanx!
GBU!

Upvote 0

crazeepraze

Anointed to Serve!
Jul 28, 2005
DC
✟15,639.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Jesus said in Mark 9:29, that some things only come by fasting & prayer. So in my opinion, I think fasting IS biblical. Just be sure to fast AND pray!

Pyrogenesis makes an EXCELLENT point in making reference to the fact that FOOD isn't the only thing we should fast from. As long as it's sacrificial, then God understands our hearts! I personally did a cell phone/ television fast for 90 days....

God Bless will bless you! ;)

Upvote 0

BeachBlonde

The Hug Reaper is here!
Feb 24, 2005
Idaho
✟18,224.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pyro you get my rep for that post.Well said,and this I firmly believe in(even as a lutheran)here.Bless you Sparrow for denying yourself something for the needs of someone else.God will turn His eyes towards you,have no doubt.How is your boyfriend???

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eden2760

Veteran
May 4, 2005
Seoul, South Korea
✟16,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would like to say something as well:

You'll notice that throughout the bible that fasting is .... encouraged, implied. It's mentioned quite a bit. But never is it commanded. Jesus did say "When you fast..." as he expected us to. But he never said "You will fast" or "You must fast".

Before you get the wrong idea... I'm All for fasting. But my point is this:

Be extra careful to guard your heart, and watch your motives. There's nothing you can do to make God love you any more. There's nothing you can do to make him love you any less. Fast to seek God's face, be it for intimacy, or a need of yourself or someone else.

The last thing I can say in conjunction with this: The reason I mentioned it never being a command.... Remember: Fasting is not a work. Jesus never intended fasting to be a "work". SO don't make it one. God bless you all :)

Upvote 0