Fasting certain things?

J.A.I

. Galatians 6:10 .
Jan 28, 2004
✟10,903.00
Faith
Christian
Well, I believe fasting is ANYTHING that may hinder you from seeing and hearing God clearly. With me, that is televison, secular music, and the computer... and food as well. And THAT is Biblical. While Biblical fasting is mainly mentioned with foods, it is Biblical to remove anything that may keep you from clearly seeing God.

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
Fasting from certain things is Biblical in that God tells us to remove anything that causes us to sin (Somewhere between Matthew 5 and Matthew 7).

In regards to fasting from certain foods that started in about 300AD in the Catholic church to symbolize Jesus fasting for 40 days. This practice was adopted by our current Christian churches and is still practiced in the catholic church (It is formally refered to as Lent, which is the season between Ash Wednesday through Good Friday)

Upvote 0

JulesM

UK Female
May 18, 2004
Brighton UK
✟15,638.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Fasting from certain things is Biblical in that God tells us to remove anything that causes us to sin (Somewhere between Matthew 5 and Matthew 7).
I agree. Its not always food. For instance my brother found he was spending more time on his playstation that being with God, and whenever he had a quiet moment, he'd play his PS. He also used it to make him feel better.

He fasted from it for a month.

A friend of mine is distracting me from focusing solely on God (cos I'm starting to fancy him) so I'm going to fast from him (no contact at all) for a while.

Make sure God knows what you're doing. And pray lots!

Upvote 0

MysticSmurf

MouseGurl
Apr 13, 2004
Oklahoma
✟7,981.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
I have been wondering this for a long time...

You see we've been having a lot of family problems lately and my parents are going through a seperation and it's been kinda hard for my brother and I. Well I was talking to my Godfather about it and he said to look into fasting and I was wondering why he suggested fasting? is it maybe to see God's purpose for this seperation?

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TugOwar said:
Thanks for the answer. I would respectfully request Scripture to back up this position.

c.f. Genesis where we did not eat meat prior to the fall and the death that it brought to the world..

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In regards to fasting from certain foods that started in about 300AD in the Catholic church to symbolize Jesus fasting for 40 days. This practice was adopted by our current Christian churches and is still practiced in the catholic church (It is formally refered to as Lent, which is the season between Ash Wednesday through Good Friday)

Fasting existed prior to that in the Church (which BTW is simply The Church and not specifically Catholic or Orthodox, a distinction which did not become prominent until 1054), the Apostles fast for instance is in commemoration of the fast that is evidenced in Acts.

Act 13:1-3 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul. (2) As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. (3) And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

The original purpose of the Lenten fast was to prepare those to be newly illumined (brought into the Church through Baptism/Chrismation). The time before Holy Pascha was spent in instruction, fasting, and prayer. Over time this disipline was extended to the entire Church and not just the catechumenate.

There are many fasts practiced within the Orthodox Church in addition to Great Lent (which starts Clean Monday in the Orthodox Church rather than Wednesday which has no special significance). There is a 40 day Nativity fast, the Apostles fast (variable length but most of June this year). and the fast of the Dormition of the Theotokos (2 weeks in September). In addition we fast most Wednesdays and Fridays in commemoration of the betrayal and Crucifixion of our Lord. All in all we fast for approximately 1/2 the year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 6:16 starts out with Jesus saying "Moreover, when you fast..."

Priests always remind us to not just fast from certain foods but also from our sins/passions. They often quote these words from St. John Chrysostom:

"Do you fast?
Give me proof of it by your works.
If you see a poor man, take pity on him.
If you see a friend being honored, do not envy him.
Do not let only your mouth fast, but also the eye,
and the ear, and the feet, and the hands, and
all the members of our bodies.
Let the hands fast, by being free of avarice.
Let the feet fast, by ceasing to run after sin.
Let the eyes fast, by disciplining them not to glare at that which is sinful.
Let the ear fast by not listening to evil talk and gossip.
Let the mouth fast from foul words and unjust criticism.
For what good is it if we abstain from birds and fishes, but bite and devour
our brothers?"

Upvote 0