Visit site
✟1,712.00
Faith
Oneness
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I get really bad migraines when I don't eat for a while. This REALLY gets in the way of wanting to fast (sometimes I've had em bad enough where I had to go to the hospital and be injected with knock-out drugs). Does anyone else have this problem? How can I fast but avoid my migraines? :confused:

Beauty4Ashes

All that I need, is a song in my heart. . .
Feb 5, 2004
Visit site
✟28,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea I'd reccomend drinking juice and LOTS of water and taking your vitamins. But I'm not sure if that will prevent it. Migraines really are Not fun. But I'm glad your heart is in the right place. Either God will provide a way for you to be able to fast or will grow your fellowship in a different way. The fact that your desire is there to grow in this area shows where your heart is at and I think that is what's most important to God. I know I didn't really answer your question but that's my two cents. Hope I was a bit of help in some way.

Upvote 0

Imagine9718

Jesus Loves You
Jun 9, 2004
✟337.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think the best solution to this would be to pray about it. Im surprised noone had suggested that already (maybe you did, and i read over it - sorry if thats the case). Remember God can do anything! Migraines is just a (*counts letters*) 9 letter word to God. There is nothing he cant Fix.

Upvote 0
S

Smi1eWarrior

Imagine9718 said:
I think the best solution to this would be to pray about it. Im surprised noone had suggested that already (maybe you did, and i read over it - sorry if thats the case). Remember God can do anything! Migraines is just a (*counts letters*) 9 letter word to God. There is nothing he cant Fix.

Well Said! AMEN!

If its God's will, there is a way!

Mara!

Upvote 0

DIVAMOM

Jun 26, 2004
✟658.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have problems with shaking when I don't eat properly, the doc. said something about not enough protein. Anyway, the only fast I've ever been on was in October and it was about 28 hours in preparation for a mission trip. I did a juice fast the entire time and had candy on hand just in case, (like jolly ranchers) and didn't have any problems. SLAVA BOGU! (That's Praise God! in Russian). I'm not suggesting you do the same, but I would definitely pray about it and just know that if God can do it in someone else's life, He can definitely do it in yours!

Upvote 0

bnkessler

Jul 7, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟274.00
Faith
Christian
Not eating WILL give alot of people headaches. I have this problem. Even taking meds for it does not work. The fact that you have to go to the hospital because it gets so bad, tells me that you shouldn't fast. I know there is a big meaning behind fasting, but it seems as if you should do something else rather than subjecting your health and well-being for this. I'm sorry if this is unchristian advice. I'm not that great of a christian, I know. But really, I don't think you should be risking your health for this.

Love, Briana

Upvote 0
Hi-

I can't fast either without getting migraines- I'm hypoglycemic. So I fast in other ways- from some things I like to do- or from favorite foods- usually for a longer time period than someone would just fast from food. Like a week or so. I have even cut back on eating without totally fasting (I have to eat 5-6 times a day to keep my sugar on an even keel) like what others have suggested- sticking to juice of clear liquids like broths. That way you don't endanger your health while still seeking the heart of God. Again, if it's God's will that you fast- you won't get sick. He'll take care of you. I have done a one day fast - no food only water when an elder of the church was sick- our womens' group fasted and prayed for him. I felt led to fast with them even though I haven't been able to before and I had no problems. So I know when it's God's will, he'll take care of me. Continue to pray and seek His will. :prayer:

Upvote 0

Shannonkish

Proud member of the Loud Few
Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
✟13,463.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water when you fast... this will help a little bit. Also, remember that while fasting is very spiritual, it is also very physical. Your body is detoxifying itself while you are fasting... so there will be some minor pain involved.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yea , Folks who are prone to have blood sugar regulating problems , have a hard time fasting .

Try eating certain foods before you fast which will continue to break down slowly . Complex carbohydrates like whole grain pasta , oatmeal , with some protein , too . Avoid eating high sugar content food and drink , prior to fasting ( 24 hrs. ) and after a fast ( the 1st day or so - depending on how long the fast was .)

Brush your teeth , gums , and tongue , with something unsweet . I use tooth powder ( Myrrh powder & Baking Soda - 50-50 ), but a little Baking Soda will work , not too much , and be gentle , it's an abrasive ; and rinse well .

Don't try to go too long too soon .

Let your body adjust gradually .

Don't fast extendly very often , it takes time to rebuild .

When I was getting really bad headaches , quite some time ago .

My first thought was , " it's the devil trying to beat me down with pain ".

Then I noticed the more I thought this , the more it hurt !

So , I tried the opposite , I told myself that the pain in my head was the tip of The Lord's Sword , which He had heated in the Fire God Is . And it was inside my head burning out all those sinful connections , which my youth and folly had made .

This seemed to lessen the intensity of the pain ; cause the pain to go away sooner , and drastically reduce the number of headaches I get , from 1-2 a month to one , maybe every 6 months or a year .

Typically , I do not eat anything substancial until the evening .

In the morning , I take ( And I let these disolve in my mouth ) 1 500mg Vit C w/ Bioflavanoids at the same time as 1 Cal. Mag . Zinc ; a little later , 1 400 I U of Natural Vit. E with 1 200 IU Fish Oil ( Gel Caps ); then after a bit - 4 Alfalfa Tablets . And I drink lots of water , sometimes some juice , or Tea ( Reg. or Herbal ).& sometimes a piece of fruit .

Some days I'm very physically active , some days not so much ; it doesn't seem to make much difference .

Then when I eat , I eat till I'm good and full ; but since I haven't eaten in about 24 hours , my stomach has had some time to shrink ; so it doesn't take so much to feel full ... I call this the " GIVE YOUR GUT A BREAK " diet . But for me it's not really a diet, it's just the way I've been led to eat .

Oh and I'm not super strick about it , and I eat most all kinds of food .

( Mostly , what doesn't cost a real lot .)

Well now you know my secret : just think , in a couple of months when someone plagarizes this idea , you could get it for only $ 29.95 ... What a bargain !!!

The Lord has created me , and redeemed me , therefore my debt and my service are doubly unto Him .

May we Magnify His Holy Name !

wm

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

silentpoet

Contributor
Jun 1, 2004
Arkansas
✟15,957.00
Faith
Nazarene
Politics
US-Others
I had one this morning, it woke me up big time and kept me awake for 2-3 hours. I can usually sleep through a headache. I took 4 ibuprofen(total 800mg) and then tried a shower. Finally I took some watered down orange juice on ice(a favorite when I don't feel well) and eventually it went away. The headache hit at about the 24 hour mark. Now I am about at the 44 hour mark. I am not sure how far I am going to take it. Hopefully at leat 72 and maybe closer to 96 hours. I would like to do a 5 day fast, but I am not sure if it is for the right reasons.

I am going to get some orange juice when I get off here as I can feel the head ache coming back. One other thing I am doing is drinking some iced tea with splenda as my "meal". And yes plenty of water.

Upvote 0

wvmtnkid

Order of the Candle
May 29, 2002
West Virginia
Visit site
✟10,466.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have the same problem with fasting and migraines. I usually don't do very drawn out fasts, usually not over 18-24 hours and I drink water during the fast. That usually helps. After fasting, I usually take it easy eating us well.

As mentioned earlier, there are other ways you can fast. You can maybe try fasting from TV and during the hours you would have watched TV (or maybe another activity you do) you can devote to praying and bible study.

Upvote 0