Fast-Growing, Outer-Ring Suburbs Can Be Fertile Ground For Racism In Youth Sports

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Fast-Growing, Outer-Ring Suburbs Can Be Fertile Ground For Racism In Youth Sports
Recent studies have pointed out that white people’s fears — especially white, Christian male’s fears — of displacement and loss of status correlate much more to support of President Trump than presumed “economic anxiety” from rural voters. “It’s much more of a symbolic threat that people feel,’’ Diana C. Mutz, the author of the study and a political science and communications professor at the University of Pennsylvania, told The New York Times.

As an example of this, there have been a run of racist incidents involving youth athletes and high school sports fans in communities that are fast-growing, economically well-off, and very white.

It's been a popular argument to crow that economic anxiety is causing more racist behavior. However, as surveys of Trump supporters have found, they are not dominated by rural white voters, but often by well-off white voters in suburban areas. The result is we're seeing many stories of their children using racism at sporting events to attack other teams. There's also the odd use of invoking Trump's name to attack people, I remember the story of a guy screaming Trump's name at a Muslim family at the beach; he was quite happy doing it only to be in tears once he was getting mugshot taken.

• Informative
Reactions: Ringo84

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
There was a situation here a few years ago involving this. It was a Catholic grammar school that wanted to play basketball in the public league. They were able to get in. But the fallout was bad. They were subjected to racial slurs and the parish priest addressed the issue in the media. It was really heated for a long while and it nearly cost him his post. There was talk of sending him elsewhere. But he didn't back down. If memory serves they left at the end of the season.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,781.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Even over here in germany where racism is something that is kept very, very hidden in everyday live (even if it certainly exists in a lot of people), sports fans often view it as acceptable to openly display it in the contest of sports. You get this in soccer where, whenever an opposing team has a black player, the fans of the home team start making monkey noises and are throwing bananas onto the field.

It's a shamefull waste of bananas.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Even over here in germany where racism is something that is kept very, very hidden in everyday live (even if it certainly exists in a lot of people), sports fans often view it as acceptable to openly display it in the contest of sports. You get this in soccer where, whenever an opposing team has a black player, the fans of the home team start making monkey noises and are throwing bananas onto the field.

It's a shamefull waste of bananas.
Indeed.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,447.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

It's been a popular argument to crow that economic anxiety is causing more racist behavior. However, as surveys of Trump supporters have found, they are not dominated by rural white voters, but often by well-off white voters in suburban areas. The result is we're seeing many stories of their children using racism at sporting events to attack other teams. There's also the odd use of invoking Trump's name to attack people, I remember the story of a guy screaming Trump's name at a Muslim family at the beach; he was quite happy doing it only to be in tears once he was getting mugshot taken.

Most Trump supporters I know are not in positions to be affected economically by illegal immigration or other issues that some on the Left have brought up. It's all about the cultural symbolism of their increasing marginalization and nostalgia. America is no longer a WASP country.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

People often try to blame economic deprivation for bad behavior. There is no cause and effect relationship between poverty and immorality only a ready excuse for those disposed to behave badly or defend those behaving badly. Having grown up in an segregated economically poor area next to a segregated poor area of people of a mostly different skin tone than my own and those in my neighborhood , I was amazed at the attitudes about African Americans that I found in areas that were economically more well off and completely insulated from any form of direct contact with African Americans. I was left to wonder where they got their stereotypes from and why they were so far off the mark. My stereotypes, of course, I thought to be quite well founded. I have since become somewhat less sure of my own righteousness and also become amazed at the attitudes of many others about many others as over the years it seems to me that intolerance for others for a multiplicity of reasons has grown exponentially and rather than any attempt to deal with the problem using positive means or exam themselves, their group of associates and their attitudes towards others many people prefer to finger point or virtue signal.

Upvote 0