United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For many people who believe in God
Religion is good for them
But is the opposite can be said about faith be bad for you
I think of the saying too much anything isn't good but can the same be said about Christians and religion in general
Have ever been a case with one person took their faith so seriously that drove them mad like one example of this is radical Muslims or it could be any religion that is misinterpreted by people who killed in the name of God but that's extreme example but this is not what I'm not thinking about that person I'm reflecting on individual that lives everyday life day by day that is driven mad by believing in Jesus so much that becomes obsessed and delusional that shows on the surface
That becomes an issue
I'm using multiple examples of this
I often times think of a good friend from high school that every time I saw him he would always tell me I need Jesus in my life almost got to the point that got sick of being around him but at the time I was not in religion or Jesus finally I said enough of this and got your point well now we don't talk anymore this is one instance just one
Now when I look at religion I see something different in him that was not the effort that mattered it was a point he wanted to better me as a whole it's how he went about doing it but obviously he was not a trendsetter but when I look back at my life in those days I see the impact Jesus had on his life and a negative and positive way this is just one example of too much religion
Here is another example
Maybe even a hypothetical situation
Often times I'm doing something then all of a sudden you hear the doorbell rang only to answer it only find that is someone trying to sell you something obviously without pointing the finger we know about religion were talking about
But by having me invite them into my home and discussing the subject matter only to greatly regret ever doing so
For me it's obviously taking religion too far
For me that's not how Christianity should not be done maybe it's just my opinion
Meaning what's the point with going door by door trying the overkill your religion
It's clearly most people don't have the time such Notions after several months of them coming around on Monday I had to pretty much tell two ladies to get lost it was not very Christian of me but it was the only way to get rid of them is that the way Jesus would want it to be done
One final example I have this Uncle
This is much more deeper of a subject
He grew up as a Christian but by the time he reached age 24 he began coming up with several ideas about God and religion that many people found his ideas offensive he began making more of it then it should be he often said things that did not make sense to his friends and family where beginning to get concerned about his well being then all sudden something changed in him he took ten steps back and looked at his objectives in his life how he acts and how he behave change dramatically but not his religious beliefs instead of judging people he began helping them he became more self-aware of his environment
I see this person now he is much better off like this he is more able to go with the flow of things get along with others
By helping people instead of hindering them only benefits the group as a whole
My point is this have you ever come across a situation like this or have you something to add to my examples I described thoughts please?

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This reminds me of Ecclesiastes 7:16-17

16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself ?

17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

Mainly the part Be not righteous over much

Also maybe I read wrong but the point of going door to door is to spread the Gospel? I think people should be considerate enough to take no for an answer and the other bold enough to say no. Hope I helped

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,418.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Religion is not how Jesus saw it, i am sure. Too many denominations. Only true church is that which Jesus started...Catholic. Be it Orthodox or Roman or Eatern etc etc.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Religion is not how Jesus saw it, i am sure. Too many denominations. Only true church is that which Jesus started...Catholic. Be it Orthodox or Roman or Eatern etc etc.
Yeah, specially with the 300 gorillion of denominations.

• Agree
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Christianity is a religion, so saying too much religion is like saying too much Christianity.
Jesus did not tell people to ram religion down others throats ,as in any case it is sign that the person is obsessed and fearful ,not yet living in grace from the Holy Spirit . He said to the apostles to wipe the dust from their feet if there was no interest .
Example, and being a light on a hill ,will be more convincing .

• Agree
Reactions: AfterThought
Upvote 0

Dansiph

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2018
UK
✟120,394.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

16 Be not righteous over much; neither make thyself over wise: why shouldest thou destroy thyself ?

17 Be not over much wicked, neither be thou foolish: why shouldest thou die before thy time?

Also maybe I read wrong but the point of going door to door is to spread the Gospel? I think people should be considerate enough to take no for an answer and the other bold enough to say no. Hope I helped

BTW I did not mean that someone should say no to the gospel. I meant in a non religious way if they want to say no then say no. If that makes sense?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Jesus did not tell people to ram religion down others throats ,as in any case it is sign that the person is obsessed and fearful ,not yet living in grace from the Holy Spirit . He said to the apostles to wipe the dust from their feet if there was no interest .
Example, and being a light on a hill ,will be more convincing .
Evangelicals are the only Christian who do that. The rest prefer to live by example.

• Agree
Reactions: fat wee robin
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fat wee robin

Jan 12, 2015
✟47,420.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Organised Religion was absolutely neccessary ,at least until the advent of Universal communication, just as government still is .

I cant be bothered again, to explain what would have happened if we had acted as individuals all through the centuries with all our individual caprices ,ignorance ,and personal translations of what ? There was no written bible until 'religion' wrote one, there was no society such as we have in the West today .

There were no telephones , aeroplanes , internet .It would have been chaotic ,anarchic ,and there would have been no genuine progress of society unless there were churches, around which civilised society could develop .

As it is ,Chaos is gaining ground as churches disappear,and morality no longer exists ,only the individuals wants matter . You would not be sitting in front of a computer now, if there had been no organised religion .
I agree that in the present it is needed much less , as much of what the Church
was organised to take care of , has been accomplished ,and some of them
have even become apostate, and yet others do not listen to the the true christians their midst .

• Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,790.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I got one of those door-to-door types about a year ago. He wasn't satisfied initially when we told him we were Lutheran and went to church. It was a little annoying but we just told him we knew Jesus and he left us in peace.

I can't think of what is actually gained in door-to-door evangelism that is so pushy.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Talk is cheap.
Why not just live what you believe? People pay way more attention to our actions than words. If you are sure Jesus is in your heart, then just do what comes naturally. Help the poor and the weak. Help the sick. Feed the hungry. Respect other people. Meet the needs of those around you.
It isn't really all that hard.

Upvote 0