✟16,816.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
http://rinkworks.com/fnovel/

What do you think? What score did you get?

I got a 1. It says at the beginning "Answering "yes" to any one question results in failure and means that the prospective novel should be abandoned at once", so I guess I fail. I think this would be a good quiz to go by if you could answer say, seven before you failed (although that may be me just trying to get off the hook;) )

Kokopelli

Stoic seeker of the truth
Dec 11, 2003
the arm pit of the world
✟16,447.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
http://rinkworks.com/fnovel/

What do you think? What score did you get?

I got a 1. It says at the beginning "Answering "yes" to any one question results in failure and means that the prospective novel should be abandoned at once", so I guess I fail. I think this would be a good quiz to go by if you could answer say, seven before you failed (although that may be me just trying to get off the hook;) )

I really do not write fantasy anymore, though the stuff I did write many years ago, passed. However, I ran my dystopic/sci-fi through the questions that applied to it, and it passed.

Upvote 0

Paladin Dave

The Beauty's Beast
Aug 30, 2004
Undisclosed
✟42,915.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My girlfriend's and my collaborative passed. We DO have Elves, but they're a bit closer to Dryads than the usual Tolkienesque elves. Other than that, the creatures are all of our own creation. I'm a bit self-conscious about the fact that our main characters meet in the beginning and fall in love part of the way through, but that'll be more of a "Umm... I know you'll surely hate me for saying this, but I can't hide my feelings any longer. I lo--" "WAIT! Before you say any more, let me say this; for it is YOU who are likely to hate ME! I'm so sorry, but... I love you!" "...I was... just about to say that." "Oh, really? Wow... that's.... awkward. Convenient, but awkward." "Yeah. Wow. What do we do now?" Er... roughly.

Ok, so we modelled our MC's after ourselves. But HA, they're still significantly different, AND the test didn't say anything about that!:p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Here are some of the questions and my answers to them:
37. Do any of your characters have names longer than three syllables?
Do surnames count? Because I have a character named Alek Dyachenko....
46. Do inns in your book exist solely so your main characters can have brawls?
My world contains hotels, and if people had brawls in them, the Front Desk Guy would kick them out.
47. Do you think you know how feudalism worked but really don't?
That described me for a while, but after I did some research and learned more about feudalism, I decided I didn't want to use a medieval setting in my book. Life back then was nasty, brutish and short. Besides, 1930s Europe was far more interesting.
58. Does anybody in your novel ever stab anybody with a scimitar?
No, but somebody toys with the idea of stabbing someone with a letter opener.
74. Is your book basically a rip-off of The Lord of the Rings?
My original idea was, but now it's not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Doubtless

my life is entr'acte...
Feb 21, 2007
Ask me again in twenty minutes.
✟8,066.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Seriously, since when did Tokien and Lewis invent three-syllable (I think I slaughtered that word) names?!?! Ever heard of Frederic?!

That was a good list of what I'm sure you could find any day in the CF anti-guide, but it seemed like someone probably just got finished reading Eragon and was still fuming while they wrote that. ;)

Anyways, though, I passed all the ones that made sense (meaning, yes, two MCs in my book have names longer than two sylables (still slaughtering it! :p)). There was one, though...About magical artifacts that can save the world. But, it's not really the artifact that saves the world. And, seriously, since when did Tolkien or Lewis invent that?! Apparently, the guy who wrote that has never heard of mythology. Or, maybe I just don't like it when people insult my writing...:D

~ Doubtless

Upvote 0

Tariel

Reader-Writer-Editor
Apr 25, 2005
✟68,827.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seriously, since when did Tokien and Lewis invent three-syllable (I think I slaughtered that word) names?!?! Ever heard of Frederic?!

That was a good list of what I'm sure you could find any day in the CF anti-guide, but it seemed like someone probably just got finished reading Eragon and was still fuming while they wrote that. ;)

Anyways, though, I passed all the ones that made sense (meaning, yes, two MCs in my book have names longer than two sylables (still slaughtering it! :p)). There was one, though...About magical artifacts that can save the world. But, it's not really the artifact that saves the world. And, seriously, since when did Tolkien or Lewis invent that?! Apparently, the guy who wrote that has never heard of mythology. Or, maybe I just don't like it when people insult my writing...:D

~ Doubtless
Nobody ever SAID that Tolkien and Lewis invented the stuff. It's simply a list of common cliches in fantasy writing. Pretty much any inexperienced kid who wants to write fantasy is going to start with quite a few of these things in her novel, because they're the things that we believe good fantasy should have based on what we've read. As we get older and begin to put more faith in our own inventions, we don't need cliches anymore. Whether it was Lewis, Tolkien, or people who lived thousands of years ago who invented it, some things have been done before. Repeatedly. That's all the test is trying to get you to see.

Oh, and go re-read the syllable question, "Do any of your main characters have names longer than three syllables?" In case you forgot what "longer than" means, you only have a problem if your characters names contain four or more syllables.

Upvote 0

Lessien

It's what I do that defines me
Nov 14, 2004
You never know....
✟31,090.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Nobody ever SAID that Tolkien and Lewis invented the stuff. It's simply a list of common cliches in fantasy writing. Pretty much any inexperienced kid who wants to write fantasy is going to start with quite a few of these things in her novel, because they're the things that we believe good fantasy should have based on what we've read. As we get older and begin to put more faith in our own inventions, we don't need cliches anymore. Whether it was Lewis, Tolkien, or people who lived thousands of years ago who invented it, some things have been done before. Repeatedly. That's all the test is trying to get you to see.

Oh, and go re-read the syllable question, "Do any of your main characters have names longer than three syllables?" In case you forgot what "longer than" means, you only have a problem if your characters names contain four or more syllables.

Exactly. It's taking common cliches of fantasy and putting them in a test to see if you're using your own inventions or if you're falling back on those cliches. That's all. And if you feel like it's insulting your work....well, don't take this the wrong way, but it's probably because you're relying too much on the common cliches of fantasy. Have a little faith in your own imagination!

Upvote 0