Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Africans before the arrival of Christianity were very religious people. When Christianity came, they embraced it with joy. Originally, Christianity promised personal salvation after death and everyone who came to Christ then was looking forward to life after death. The missionaries who brought the Gospel to Africa abandoned their families, the comfort of their homes, all the luxuries in their home countries and jeopardized their lives to reach Africans with the Gospel and love of Christ.

The first generation of Christians in Africa received the spirit of mission that was passed to them by the early missionaries. In 1857, the Rev. John Christopher Taylor — an Igbo slave who left Sierra Leone for Onitsha in Southeast Nigeria on a missionary journey made a clarion call to all African Christians to come together to ensure that the people of Nsugbe were saved: “Ye enlightened sons of Africa will you leave the 26,000 inhabitants of Nsugbe to perish for lack of bread of life? Ye sons of Africa in general whether born of Sierra Leone or West Indies here are tracks marked out for your usefulness.”

This call was made when the first missionaries arrived in Nigeria, when the biblical Gospel was first preached and believed. The Rev. John Christopher with other volunteers labored amid sufferings, persecutions, and frustrations to bring the people of Nsugbe to the saving knowledge of Christ. This trend of laboring to preach the whole Gospel lasted for centuries with the resultant discipleship of committed and dedicated Christians who denied themselves, carried their crosses, and followed Jesus.

Continued below.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Africans before the arrival of Christianity were very religious people. When Christianity came, they embraced it with joy. Originally, Christianity promised personal salvation after death and everyone who came to Christ then was looking forward to life after death. The missionaries who brought the Gospel to Africa abandoned their families, the comfort of their homes, all the luxuries in their home countries and jeopardized their lives to reach Africans with the Gospel and love of Christ.

The first generation of Christians in Africa received the spirit of mission that was passed to them by the early missionaries. In 1857, the Rev. John Christopher Taylor — an Igbo slave who left Sierra Leone for Onitsha in Southeast Nigeria on a missionary journey made a clarion call to all African Christians to come together to ensure that the people of Nsugbe were saved: “Ye enlightened sons of Africa will you leave the 26,000 inhabitants of Nsugbe to perish for lack of bread of life? Ye sons of Africa in general whether born of Sierra Leone or West Indies here are tracks marked out for your usefulness.”

This call was made when the first missionaries arrived in Nigeria, when the biblical Gospel was first preached and believed. The Rev. John Christopher with other volunteers labored amid sufferings, persecutions, and frustrations to bring the people of Nsugbe to the saving knowledge of Christ. This trend of laboring to preach the whole Gospel lasted for centuries with the resultant discipleship of committed and dedicated Christians who denied themselves, carried their crosses, and followed Jesus.

Continued below.
My experience was not Nigerian but Gambian. Almost everybody there was Muslim and the Christians were a tiny minority. The land was evangelized by Portuguese missionaries 500 years ago but the Portuguese left a long time ago. The Gambia then went through French and British colonial rule but somehow the Catholic Church abandoned the Gambia. In the past 70 years Irish priests came back and found that a whole lot of syncretism had gone on in the centuries pretty much without priests. They had to start remedial catechesis on things like 'There is ONE God and one God only'. A friend saw exactly the same thing in Sierra Leone. Except there, the local Christians were a bit more militant in resisting remedial catechesis and were known to administer beatings to priests who didn't agree with them. This was all way up-country and not the case in Banjul or in Freetown. And it was 30 years ago. The diocese of Banjul has been doing yeoman's service in the mean time even as the Irish priests have evaporated.

Muslims can not be mistaken for any sort of prosperity gospel, being a bit fatalistic. Probably why I liked them so much. And I never hung out enough in the capital city to ever see any prosperity gospel among the Anglicans or other kinds of Christians down there. Sounds like it is a crazy problem now in Nigeria. I wonder how far it extends.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟439,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Guys, what do you think about the Ethiopian Church's Canon? It has 81 books in the bible, which is 6 more compared to Catholics. Is that a Bible that is not valid? I am glad that my Bible has 73 books, not 81, but will not judge others for having 81 or 66.

Ethiopian Church canon:

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟318,252.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Guys, what do you think about the Ethiopian Church's Canon? It has 81 books in the bible, which is 6 more compared to Catholics. Is that a Bible that is not valid? I am glad that my Bible has 73 books, not 81, but will not judge others for having 81 or 66.

Ethiopian Church canon:

I read one of their canon books, the Book of Enoch. I found nothing wrong with it after an exhaustive study. It supplied some events in the Old Testament in far greater detail.

It even supplied intricate details about the galactic core, the supermassive black hole in it, the stars orbiting the black hole nearby, and the gaseous nebula /accretion disc around it. Details that were not known until the late 20th century.

Most importantly, it contained the core doctrines of Jesus the book of Enoch pre-dated Jesus. It brought other profound revelations as well concerning our universe.

As Jesus have implied to His disciples, the scriptures available in those times (including the Book of Enoch) would have been sufficient.

You might find it interesting or even shocking, Jesus did not give any instruction, command, no teaching to put together a new canon of scriptures (we now refer to as "The Bible").

What Jesus had promised to be the source of our truth is the "Spirit of Truth" which is a spirit obviously, not a physical thing and most ironically, we find it written in the Bible itself (John 16:13-15).

The Spirit will not just guide you on the Bible because the all of the Word of God cannot be contained in just one book, in fact, not even in a thousand books (John 21:25)

The Book of Enoch is a very interesting read. It described an almost alien pre-flood landscape with blood-thirsty giants wearing armor, women "Kung Fu" fighting or wielding "magic" or mastery of the elements (skills taught by the fallen angels) and Enoch traveling between worlds or galaxies.

It also hints the possibility of a "Matrix" like reality the "world" we know isn't real-real. But unlike the movie Matrix but more like as avatars that the real "us" are far greater beings.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟439,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read one of their canon books, the Book of Enoch. I found nothing wrong with it after an exhaustive study. It supplied some events in the Old Testament in far greater detail.

It even supplied intricate details about the galactic core, the supermassive black hole in it, the stars orbiting the black hole nearby, and the gaseous nebula /accretion disc around it. Details that were not known until the late 20th century.

Most importantly, it contained the core doctrines of Jesus the book of Enoch pre-dated Jesus. It brought other profound revelations as well concerning our universe.

As Jesus have implied to His disciples, the scriptures available in those times (including the Book of Enoch) would have been sufficient.

You might find it interesting or even shocking, Jesus did not give any instruction, command, no teaching to put together a new canon of scriptures (we now refer to as "The Bible").

What Jesus had promised to be the source of our truth is the "Spirit of Truth" which is a spirit obviously, not a physical thing and most ironically, we find it written in the Bible itself (John 16:13-15).

The Spirit will not just guide you on the Bible because the all of the Word of God cannot be contained in just one book, in fact, not even in a thousand books (John 21:25)

The Book of Enoch is a very interesting read. It described an almost alien pre-flood landscape with blood-thirsty giants wearing armor, women "Kung Fu" fighting or wielding "magic" or mastery of the elements (skills taught by the fallen angels) and Enoch traveling between worlds or galaxies.

It also hints the possibility of a "Matrix" like reality the "world" we know isn't real-real. But unlike the movie Matrix but more like as avatars that the real "us" are far greater beings.
I do not trust Enoch, and will not debate about this. We will know whether Enoch was real or not when we reach Heaven. But, for myself and most Christians, we do not believe that Enoch is canon.

Which verses talk about the galactic core? I do not trust this. Chapter and verse please.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,089,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I do not trust Enoch, and will not debate about this. We will know whether Enoch was real or not when we reach Heaven. But, for myself and most Christians, we do not believe that Enoch is canon.

Which verses talk about the galactic core? I do not trust this. Chapter and verse please.
Enoch is a good book. If it had been canonized in our canon I wouldn't have minded at all.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟439,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Enoch is a good book. If it had been canonized in our canon I wouldn't have minded at all.
I have watched a video about Enoch, and the book is truly well written. As it Enoch is not canonized, I do not apply it to my Christian faith as a Catholic.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟318,252.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

It's crazy good. Probably the best book I ever read.

The book is a mind-opener. It's the real "Matrix" thing.

I had a much stronger connection to the "real world" during Childhood. Jesus confirmed by saying "The Kingdom of Heaven belongs to the little ones".

The Book of Enoch reminded me of what I have forgotten. We all were as Adam was.

Upvote 0