Status
Not open for further replies.

cweb255

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
✟624.00
Faith
Atheist
I can't do it. I've done it. There is no God. I'm no longer a Christian. I do not believe that there is a God up there, or any God for that matter. Don't know if anyone cares or not, but here is my reasoning:

1: The God of the Tanakh seemed awfully violent and full of rage, destroying at whim even innocents. What kind of peaceful, loving God could do that?

2: Well, fine then, liberal theology here I come. The more I read, the more I realize that everything I was taught is a lie. Evolution exists without a doubt. The Bible is far from inerrant. The non-canonical texts show a definite split with Christianity.

3: Plate tectonics, 99% species dieout, and the vast empitness of the universe all show that life is meaningless.

4: Occam's razor.

Good night, Christians.

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
cweb255 said:
Probably not, unless you want to. I'm pretty resolute. Plus, you're a Calvinist. Our theology would never match.
Perhaps not. But maybe we could have a good discussion about the discernment of truth. Methods. Eternity. Faith. That sort of thing. Yes, I'd be very pleased to discuss with you, whether or not you agree with me.

Upvote 0
P

Paul_Wright_luvr

Alone again again alone
Patiently waiting by the phone
Hoping that you will call me home
The pain inside my love denied
Hopes and dreams swallowed by pride
Everything I need it lies in you

‘Cause I'm broken
I know I need you now
‘Cause deep inside I'm broken
You see the way I live
I know I know your heart is broken
When I turn away
I need to be broken
Take the pain away

I question why you chose to die
When you knew your truth I would deny
You look at me
The tears begin to fall
And all in all faith is blind
But I fail time after time
Daily in my sin I take your life

All the hate deep inside
Slowly covering my eyes
All these things I hide
Away from you again
All this fear holding me
My heart is cold and I believe
Nothing's gonna change
Until I'm broken

~Broken By 12 Stones

PM me if u wanna talk about anything

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
cweb255 said:
1: The God of the Tanakh seemed awfully violent and full of rage, destroying at whim even innocents. What kind of peaceful, loving God could do that?

2: Well, fine then, liberal theology here I come. The more I read, the more I realize that everything I was taught is a lie. Evolution exists without a doubt. The Bible is far from inerrant. The non-canonical texts show a definite split with Christianity.

3: Plate tectonics, 99% species dieout, and the vast empitness of the universe all show that life is meaningless.

4: Occam's razor.

Good night, Christians.
1) What kind of peaceful, loving God could let His people be controlled by Satan's forces? He was faithful to those faithful to Him.

2) Evolution exists without a doubt? If though evolution is NOT a contradiction of the Bible, have you read into YEC evidences by chance?

3) How does this prove that?

4) Occam's Razor actually shows that God creating the universe is much simpler than the billions of things that would happen, according to science, to create the universe out of nothing, much less form matter, stars, planets, and eventually, some type of life.

I would reconsider your ideas. They may seem right to you, but always get a second opinion. These are certainly very common reasons people have for leaving God, esp #1. However, I can get you some further materials on them if you like, as they have certainly been explained and whatnot :)

Upvote 0

BlessedVegan

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2004
SC
✟59,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree that evolution and all that is true..but science and Christianity are not mutually exclusive. Why wouldn't God use a force like that to build the world? I don't have too much to say...I just want to mention one thing. In my opinion, something had to have started the Big Bang. Sure there were molecules floating around...but why would they have been there for eternity and with no outside force, suddenly collide and cause the Big Bang? There had to be an outside force at work, ie God. This makes sense to me, anyway, and I hope it makes sense to you. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Upvote 0

cweb255

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
✟624.00
Faith
Atheist
But if the Big Bang were true, as some theistic evolutionists maintain, then doesn't that point to God as not a very good designer? Either that, or we're not unique.

And no, the Big Bang (current model) isn't a bunch of molecules colliding, it was an infinitely dense infinitely small matter becoming too dense under gravity and exploding.

I do not accept that current model. I have my own theories, but that is for another topic another debate.

So if BB is true, than we evolved, right? What makes us so special?

Add it all up and apply Occam's Razor and you have yourself an atheist.

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
cweb255 said:
I can't do it. I've done it. There is no God. I'm no longer a Christian. I do not believe that there is a God up there, or any God for that matter. Don't know if anyone cares or not, but here is my reasoning:
That is to say you were a Christian (until recently). Why did you become a Christian? What were your reasons to become a Christian? What made you believe that there is a God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BlessedVegan

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2004
SC
✟59,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Why does it make God not a good designer? He came up with an incredibly complex system for us to evolve. Why does it matter if poof he popped us here on earth, or if he used evolution as the mechanism? Evolution is a great process, and it's complexity is amazing as well. It was God's choice as to how to create us..I don't think it really matters. But it certainly doesn't mean there is no God. We're special b/c God created us in his image. But once again..us being special has zero to do with the existance of God. We just want to be "special" for our own reasons.
PS..I'm sorry I have a real basic understanding of science at that level. But either way, it still required someone to "start it".

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
cweb255 said:
But if we're not special, what's the point of even interacting with us? Why did he favor the Jews in the beginning? Why send his son if he didn't care?

Your thoughts totally destroy Christianity, as I have already found out.

NB - I grew up with Christianity.
The poster did say that we are special (because God created us in His image). All the poster said that being special or not has nothing to do with the existance of God.

You are looking for proof for your theory, that's fine. But don't adjust facts, in this case quotes, to proof your theory.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
cweb255 said:
But if the Big Bang were true, as some theistic evolutionists maintain, then doesn't that point to God as not a very good designer? Either that, or we're not unique.

And no, the Big Bang (current model) isn't a bunch of molecules colliding, it was an infinitely dense infinitely small matter becoming too dense under gravity and exploding.

I do not accept that current model. I have my own theories, but that is for another topic another debate.

So if BB is true, than we evolved, right? What makes us so special?

Add it all up and apply Occam's Razor and you have yourself an atheist.
I ask again:

Where did the particle come from?

What caused evolution. The statisical chances are far less than impossible. They actually come closer to the numbers for statistically impossible, squared.

Use Occam's Razor and something had to have stepped in to cause this.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
cweb255 said:
But if we're not special, what's the point of even interacting with us? Why did he favor the Jews in the beginning? Why send his son if he didn't care?

We are all special. He favored Jews because they originally followed Him. He sent His Son because He DOES care :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlessedVegan

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2004
SC
✟59,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have no idea how what I said destroys Christianity? You might want to think first about if you believe in God at all, then about if you believe in the Christian idea of God. It sounds like you are upset over this idea you have that you are not special. Are you sure you aren't just bothered by that, and maybe are not liking God, as opposed to not believing God exists? Have you read any of the evidence in favor of the existance of God? Maybe CAse for a Creator, or something like that. I mean if you are going to make a big step like this you should try to be as informed as possible. I mean you could still not believe, but at least you would have seen all sides.

Upvote 0

TheOriginalWhitehorse

Sep 1, 2003
Visit site
✟18,532.00
Faith
Calvinist
cweb255 said:

God interacts with us because He is kind; He chose the Jews because He is sovereign. He is a mix of love, justice, vengeance and mercy. In short, He is beautiful. He interacts because with us...because He can.

And that's what makes Him so different from man.

Upvote 0

carmi

Nov 1, 2004
✟16,723.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
BlessedVegan said:
I have no idea how what I said destroys Christianity?
You did not say anything that destroys Christianity. Cweb understood the exact opposite to what you were saying. In other words, Cweb turned your words around 180 degree. This can happen, in reading one overlooks a word or does not get the meaning immediately.

But don't worry - you did not say anything wrong. I already pointed out to him that he got your quote wrong. Maybe he was not in here to read.

Upvote 0

cweb255

Sep 22, 2004
Visit site
✟624.00
Faith
Atheist
No, you're right, I misread your statement. I thought you said there was nothing special. Mea culpa.

But if evolution is true, than how did he create us in his own image?

As for statistics, right now it is raining. What's the odds of a raindrop hitting my head? Think of all the trillions (if not more) of raindrops that were falling at the moment, and think about the time I was outside (about 20 seconds). What's the statistics that any one raindrop would hit my head?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.