G4m

Veteran
Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
✟1,981.00
Faith
Seeker
cactusj said:
What do ya'll think the falling away is?

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
Here's the word:

646 apostasia {ap-os-tas-ee'-ah}

feminine of the same as 647; TDNT - 1:513,88; n f
AV - to forsake + 575 1, falling away 1; 2
1) a falling away, defection, apostasy

And the only two usages I found:

Acts 21:21 And they are informed of thee, that thou teachest all the Jews which are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.

2Thessalonians 2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

Upvote 0

RonBa

Jul 27, 2004
✟337.00
Faith
Protestant
cactusj said:

2 Thessalonians 2:3
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
This verse gives us a few questions

Who is the man of sin?

Who or what is the son of perdition?

Upvote 0

RonBa

Jul 27, 2004
✟337.00
Faith
Protestant
vinsight4u said:
The man of sin will be the ac.

Nebuchadnezzar

beast was

Daniel 11:21
"He will be succeeded by a contemptible person who has not been given the honor of royalty. He will invade the kingdom when its people feel secure, and he will seize it through intrigue."

Tell me who is it?

Nebuchadnezzar was a beast but is not the beast as this is future.

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Anti-Fear said:
Maybe it means that there is going to be a time when everyone will suddenly see the results of their sins manifest themselves in population and the world.
Are we talking both Believers and Unbelievers or just unbelievers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
The falling away is definitely the apostacy however whether this is a post-rapture apostacy or the apostacy of the church (i.e. pre-raptue) itself I am not 100% sure although I would lean toward the former in this case however it is most definitely the apostacy of Christendom.

For the Darbyite view point go to---http://www.christnotes.org/commenta...+2&Version=DRBY

We need remember that Second thessalonians was written in response to the false notion that their persecutions were those of the Day of the LORD.

This is Scofield's take:
2:3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

for that day

The order of events is:

(1) The working of the mystery of lawlessness under divine restraint which had already begun in the apostle's time 2 Thessalonians 2:7

(2) the apostasy of the professing church 2 Thessalonians 1:3; Luke 18:8; 2 Timothy 3:1-8.

(3) the removal of that which restrains the mystery of lawlessness 2 Thessalonians 2:6,7. The restrainer is a person--"he," and since a "mystery" always implies a supernatural element (See Scofield "Matthew 13:11") this Person can be none other than the Holy Spirit in the church, to be "taken out of the way" ; 2 Thessalonians 2:7; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17.

(4) the manifestation of the lawless one 2 Thessalonians 2:8-10; Daniel 7:8; 9:27; Matthew 24:15; Revelation 13:2-10

(5) the coming of Christ in glory and the destruction of the lawless one 2 Thessalonians 2:8; Revelation 19:11-21 (6) the day of Jehovah 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12; Isaiah 2:12

Upvote 0

SPALATIN

Lifetime friend of Dr. Luther
May 5, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana
✟13,351.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since I believe that we are Saint and Sinner coexisting in the same person I would say that we all have the ability and potential to be the "son of perdition" based on our sinful condition. Our Saint condition which is where we have been chosen by him and are heirs by adoption we nix the potential for evil by submission to the Holy Spirit's guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iosias

Senior Contributor
Jul 18, 2004
✟9,648.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
SLStrohkirch said:
Since I believe that we are Saint and Sinner coexisting in the same person I would say that we all have the ability and potential to be the "son of perdition" based on our sinful condition. Our Saint condition which is where we have been chosen by him and are heirs by adoption we nix the potential for evil by submission to the Holy Spirit's guidance.
It is times like these that I am reminded why I hold a consistent grammatical-historical method of Biblical interpretation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.