Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whether in the lower, middle, or upper school, we all associate the cooler, shorter days with the return of many good things. Fall feels scholastic as the leaves begin to litter the campus and the boys toss footballs on the field. In the classroom, we return to memorizing poetry for the Bard Competition at the Festival Days. We memorize poetry for all kinds of great reasons, which we’ve defended in the past. This article seeks rather to celebrate and share the great poems of Fall that we’ve committed to memory and performed.

I asked our entire Faculty to share the autumnal poems they love, focusing particularly on those poems they have either memorized themselves or that they encourage the boys to memorize. In the list below, I’ll add a few thoughts the faculty passed along or that I noticed as I read them myself. While these submissions came in from teachers across our Lower, Middle, and Upper Schools, most of these poems can be taught and reviewed at any age.

Some are familiar, I’m sure, but fall is the season for remembering. Hopefully, some are new and you notice them for the first time, and come back to them in future falls when seeking wisdom in this season.

Continued below.
https://heightsforum.org/article/fall-poems-to-memorize/