Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the equation for salvation is that we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith without a system of works alone. But after we are saved by God's grace, I believe "works of faith" is the next step or stage in the salvation process. This is not "Works Alone Salvationism" that Paul was fighting against, but it is merely one's faith being shown as being genuine in the fact that they abide in Christ.

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟181,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I believe the equation for salvation is that we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith without a system of works alone. But after we are saved by God's grace, I believe "works of faith" is the next step or stage in the salvation process. This is not "Works Alone Salvationism" that Paul was fighting against, but it is merely one's faith being shown as being genuine in the fact that they abide in Christ.
The Baptist Catechism on repentance:

Q: 94. What is repentance unto life?
A: Repentance unto life is a saving grace, whereby a sinner, out of a true sense of his sin, and apprehension of the mercy of God in Christ, does, with grief and hatred of his sin, turn from it unto God, with full purpose of, and endeavor after, new obedience. (Acts of the Apostles 2:37; Joel 2:13; Jeremiah 31:18-19; 2 Corinthians 7:10-11; Romans 6:18)

This is a change of heart which is also the essence of faith. Therefore, since both require a change of heart toward God, I do not believe that true faith and repentance can be considered independent of each other.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
We may call it "the next step in the salvation process, " but the persons salvation is not dependent upon the works performed. These are merely the natural consequence of having Faith.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes. The evidence of salvation by grace (the unmerited favour of God) is that the believer will go on to doing the commands of Christ, thereby showing that his life is no longer his own do what what he likes, but Jesus Christ is His Lord and whatever He says, he will do it.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if it would be more accurate to write (faith) = (works) = salvation. I agree with you that faith is rec'd without any works but genuine faith is established by works.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,915,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason, if this is what you believe, that what we do as Christians (good works, obedience, holy living, etc.) is the 'result' of our coming to saving faith in Christ, and that (as St. Paul says) we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus ~for~ good works, shouldn't the formula look like this instead:

Faith = Salvation + Works​

The formula you used in the title shows that our works are necessary for salvation.

Thanks!

--David

Romans 11
6 If it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

step_by_step

Supporter
Oct 21, 2018
United States
✟90,690.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm in agreement that faith is the first part of our salvation, as the Bible talks multiple times about how we are saved by faith and not by the works of our own hands. This is followed by the infamous "faith without works is dead", meaning that our next "step" is to work for Christ. But as someone else says, I don't think is necessarily a step as much as it is something that just follows a strong, real relationship with Christ. Though I was raised in a Christian family, I've only recently come to really know God and since then, I've been shocked by how much I want to do. I want to work for him, want to spread the good news far and wide and fight the good fight. This is a natural response to a relationship with Christ and I don't think it should be approached as a step.

But I do agree with you for the most part! ;)

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if it would be more accurate to write (faith) = (works) = salvation. I agree with you that faith is rec'd without any works but genuine faith is established by works.
Well, that's what James says, sort-off. Actually, James says that we should show our faith by our works. In the context, he says that genuine religion (i.e. faith) is to be unspotted by the world and to help widows and orphans. So, his definition of "works" has nothing to do with observing the Ten Commandments or the Mosaic Law to prove one's faith; instead, it is keeping away from worldly influences and doing good to needy people. Basically, we show our faith by being loving, joyful, peaceable, gentle, kind, patient, good, faithful, and self controlled. By having those characteristics we actually fulfill all the requirements of the Law, and are fully demonstrating genuine godly faith.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's what James says, sort-off. Actually, James says that we should show our faith by our works. In the context, he says that genuine religion (i.e. faith) is to be unspotted by the world and to help widows and orphans. So, his definition of "works" has nothing to do with observing the Ten Commandments or the Mosaic Law to prove one's faith; instead, it is keeping away from worldly influences and doing good to needy people. Basically, we show our faith by being loving, joyful, peaceable, gentle, kind, patient, good, faithful, and self controlled. By having those characteristics we actually fulfill all the requirements of the Law, and are fully demonstrating genuine godly faith.
Jesus fulfilled the Law; he did not abolish it. The Ten Commandments are obviously still applicable today since we are not to bear false witness, steal, covet, etc. It is still the moral law that we obey. These are works of obedience to God that is never condemned, either in the OT or NT. Rituals, blood sacrifice are done away with via the atonement.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Jason, if this is what you believe, that what we do as Christians (good works, obedience, holy living, etc.) is the 'result' of our coming to saving faith in Christ, and that (as St. Paul says) we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus ~for~ good works, shouldn't the formula look like this instead:

Faith = Salvation + Works​

The formula you used in the title shows that our works are necessary for salvation.

Thanks!

--David

Romans 11
6 If it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

I believe Paul was referring to "Works Alone Salvationism" that did not include God's grace. Paul fought against this heresy because Paul and the apostles spoke out against "Circumcision Salvationism."

To check out the verses in regards to the heresy of "Circumcision Salvationism," click on the following spoiler button:

The False Heresy of Circumcision Salvationism:

The Jerusalem Council:

1. Acts of the Apostles 15:1 says, “And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved.”

2. Acts of the Apostles 15:5 says, But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.”
3. Acts of the Apostles 15:24 says, “Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, Ye must be circumcised, and keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment:”​

Paul:

1. Galatians 2:3 says, “But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:”

2. Galatians 5:2 says, “Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.”

3. Galatians 5:6 says, “For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.”

4. Galatians 6:15 (NLT) says, “It doesn't matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.”

5. 1 Corinthians 7:18-19 says, 18 For instance, a man who was circumcised before he became a believer should not try to reverse it. And the man who was uncircumcised when he became a believer should not be circumcised now. (NLT) 19 “Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but what matters is the keeping of the commandments of God.” (NASB)

6. Romans 2:28-29 says, “For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh: But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.”

7. Romans 3:1 says, “What advantage then hath the Jew? or what profit is there of circumcision?”

8. Romans 4:9-12 says, ”9 “Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: 12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.”

9. Acts of the Apostles 21:21 says, “And they are informed of you, that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children, neither to walk after the customs.”
The Bible says works of faith play a part in our salvation after we are saved by God's grace through faith.

Click on the following spoiler button to check out the verses.

After we are saved by God's grace,
God’s works (done through us) are also required as a part of the Salvation Process:

(Here are a List of Verses):

“Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only." (James 2:24).

"Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.” (James 2:17-18).

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

"If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, "(1 Timothy 6:3-4).

"...God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble." (James 4:6).

"What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Romans 6:1-2).

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him." (Hebrews 5:9).

"Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

“This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. (Galatians 5:16).

“That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit (Romans 8:4).

"If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha." (1 Corinthians 16:22).

"If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15).

“If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.” (John 15:10).

And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life? He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.” (Luke 10:25-28).

“...if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.” (Matthew 19:17-19).

"And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:38).

”If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life for my sake shall find it. For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? (Matthew 16:24-26).

"...No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62).

“Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.” (Matthew 5:8).

"Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls." (James 1:21).

"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

”And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city. For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.” (Revelation 22:12-15).

"For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved." (John 3:20).

“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

"...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments." (Matthew 19:17).

“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.” (Philippians 2:12).

“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;” (Titus 2:11-12).

“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).

”Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matthew 25:34-40).

“Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.” (Matthew 25:41-46).

”His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.” (Matthew 25:21).

”And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.” (Matthew 25:30).

”Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation [i.e. as the people of Israel did when they rebelled against him in the desert.”] (Hebrews 3:12-15) (Note: The explanation on verse 15 in brackets is taken from the Living Bible Translation (TLB)).

”Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)” (Hebrews 3:10-11).

”Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. (Hebrews 4:11).

“In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.” (1 John 3:10).

“He that is of God heareth God's words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God” (John 8:47).

Salvation is not an automatic thing of us doing good works or holiness as if we were mindless puppets once we are saved by God's grace through faith. The Bible says we have to endure to the end as a part of salvation and that we have to keep ourselves in the love of God, etc.

To check out the verses on this, click on the following spoiler button:

We need to endure in our faith to continue to be saved:

"But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;" Hebrews 3:13-14.

"Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him." James 1:12.

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. Matthew 24:13.

"...be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life." Revelation 2:10.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God." Revelation 2:7.

"He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death." Revelation 2:11.

"He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels." Revelation 3:5.

"Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." Jude 1:21.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm in agreement that faith is the first part of our salvation, as the Bible talks multiple times about how we are saved by faith and not by the works of our own hands. This is followed by the infamous "faith without works is dead", meaning that our next "step" is to work for Christ. But as someone else says, I don't think is necessarily a step as much as it is something that just follows a strong, real relationship with Christ. Though I was raised in a Christian family, I've only recently come to really know God and since then, I've been shocked by how much I want to do. I want to work for him, want to spread the good news far and wide and fight the good fight. This is a natural response to a relationship with Christ and I don't think it should be approached as a step.

But I do agree with you for the most part! ;)
However, not all believers respond "naturally" as you do. Each believer now has the choice whether to continue in sin or continue in repentance of sin. To choose to sow to the Spirit, or to choose to sow to the flesh. Those that choose to engage in a lifestyle of habitual sin will not receive eternal life but instead reap spiritual death according to Romans 8:13.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I see works of faith as a part of one's faith or a progression of it, too.

So you can say that, as well and be correct.

Works of Faith is an outpouring of one's faith in Christ for salvation.

But because we are told or commanded to do good works, I see it as something we have to add to our faith in Christ, too. In other words, both equations would be correct - IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: Oldmantook
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I see works of faith as a part of one's faith or a progression of it, too.

So you can say that, as well and be correct.

Works of Faith is an outpouring of one's faith in Christ for salvation.

But because we are told or commanded to do good works, I see it as something we have to add to our faith in Christ, too. In other words, both equations would be correct - IMO.
It is unfortunate that the term "works" has such a negative connotation in Christendom. One must define one's terms which does not often happen, thus "works" has acquired a bad reputation. That would be news to Jesus as he judges the churches by their works; or lack thereof.

Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Very good! Awesome conclusion! Yay! God bless you, friend!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CodyFaith

Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟158,564.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Nope, saved eternally the moment of salvation, works come afterwards and the works will be judged whether they are good or bad and rewards will be given. Believers do good for the sake of good, love for the sake of love, are free from fear unless they chain themselves, free from all condemnation on God's part, etc.

John 5:24
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Will not come into condemnation, passed from death to life. One time act. Has everlasting life.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
John 5:24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Nope, saved eternally the moment of salvation, works come afterwards and the works will be judged whether they are good or bad and rewards will be given. Believers do good for the sake of good, love for the sake of love, are free from fear unless they chain themselves, free from all condemnation on God's part, etc.

Will not come into condemnation, passed from death to life. One time act. Has everlasting life.

Well, the very verse you quote says otherwise to what you said.

The word "heareth" is in reference to obedience. So it is saying he that obeys my word and believes on Him (the Son) has everlasting life.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It is unfortunate that the term "works" has such a negative connotation in Christendom. One must define one's terms which does not often happen, thus "works" has acquired a bad reputation. That would be news to Jesus as he judges the churches by their works; or lack thereof.

Even belief in Jesus is regarded as both a command (1 John 3:23), and as a work (See John 6:28-29). But from Paul's perspective of language, he is referring to works as "Works Alone Salvationism" (That does not include God's grace through faith). So it depends on what perspective one is looking at it.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, the very verse you quote says otherwise to what you said.

The word "heareth" is in reference to obedience. So it is saying he that obeys my word and believes on Him (the Son) has everlasting life.
Moreover, in the KJV words ending with "th" indicate present tense verb/participles in the Greek. Thus one must continue hearing and believing. If one ceases to obey and/or believe, eternal life is no longer assured of so this verse does not exclusively reference a past moment of belief when one initially trusted in Jesus Christ for one's salvation. Salvation requires ongoing faith.

Reactions: sungaunga
Upvote 0