Faith thats Focused

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the word FAITH mean to you?

The dictionary suggests several options:-

1. A strong unshakeable belief in something especially without proof.

2. Specific systems of religious beliefs as the Jews have.

3. A conviction of the truth of certain doctrines of religion.

4. A complete confidence or trust in a person or remedy for something.

5. Loyalty to a cause.

(All these definitions are true but faith as God sees it is complete trust in Him, His actions and promises.)

I feel the key word here is COMPLETE, not partial or only in agreement with certain issues.

Basically there must be no compromise. Jesus was always talking about faith. Young children are very trusting. My three-year-old son when asked to jump from a height into my arms did so time and again without fear or thought of being hurt if I should drop him. He had simple child like trust; complete faith in me to catch him. Jesus in Matthew 18: 1-5 talks about us needing to be like children in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore our faith should not be complicated. If we start compromising our faith we will not be allowing the Lord to act or move as He otherwise would.

A well known passage of scripture is found in Matthew 14:22-32, where Jesus walks on water. Peter was determined to walk out of the boat across the water to Jesus. As he kept his eyes focused on Him everything was well but as soon as he saw the wind and waves his fear took over and he began to sink. He cried out to the Lord to save him and he reached out his hand and caught him. He was rebuked for having little faith. We must keep our focus on Jesus and not be distracted or swayed by the things around us.

There are other examples of little faith such as in Matthew 17:14-21 where the disciples were unable to heal an epileptic boy. This story does introduce a well known saying regarding a measure of faith when Jesus says clearly that if we have little faith as a mustard seed then we can move mountains. The word mountains, I feel implies circumstances in our lives that would seem impossible to change under normal conditions..

Are there examples of great Faith?

Yes, in Matthew 15: 21-28 there is an amazing account of a Cananite women who cries out to Jesus to heal her daughter of demon possession. At first Jesus seems quite emphatic that He was only sent to the lost sheep of Israel and this did not include her.

Jesus rebukes her with these words “it is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to their dogs”. This seems harsh from one so loving. However she came up with a good answer and Jesus said to her “ women you have great faith your request is granted” Persistence paid off and likewise we must not give up on our faith. So we have seen that it is necessary to have simple child-like faith, keeping our focus on Jesus and be persistent.

Are there any other things we can learn about Faith?

In John 12: 42-44 it talks about the Jews and with many among the leaders who believed but because of the Pharisees would not confess their faith for fear of being put out of the synagogue. It says that they loved praise from men more than praise from God.

We must be careful not to fall into this trap. In my experience people are often very concerned about their image and how they come over with other people. So we must not compromise our faith to please men. If the Holy Spirit is directing us to act in a certain way we should be obedient and not fear what men might say. Sometimes letting go is very hard.

In the Old Testament 2 Samuel 6: 14-22 King David dances before the Lord disrobing in the sight of the slave girls. When challenged for his actions by Michal, daughter of Saul he replies “I will become even more undignified than this, and I will be humiliated in my own eyes”. He danced with all his might because he could not contain his joy in the Lord.

Finally how does our Faith grow?

I feel that all the aspects mentioned so far are pointers as to how we should be considering our faith. We have seen that we do not need very much faith in “Mustard seed” terms to do great things for the Lord. We must resist the evil one and reject the worlds thinking to tempt us to doubt the truth. The Holy Spirit dwelling in us will convict us of these dangers.

Scripture reminds us that “All things are possible only believe”. If we put our faith to the test, trusting completely in the Lord, then He will show us by the power of the Spirit that mountains can be moved. If we are expectant our faith will grow as we see God honouring our obedience and trust in Him.

Status
Not open for further replies.