dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I think I raised this question a time or two in the past, but i would like to bring it up again as I still struggle with this.

It comes from Francis Schaeffers writtings were he contrasts biblical faith, with modern faith, which he says is faith turned inward, and he attributes the rise of this to Soren Kierkegarrd. I wasn't very familiar with Kierkegarrd or his writtings so I am not sure were he writes about faith.

Schaeffer seems to have come to a rational certitude regarding the truth of God's existence, God's being there, based on things such as the bible completing the picture, and that a Personal God explains why people are verbalising beings.

This is were I struggle however - I can't see how one can have faith that is not in faith in some manner. To me one begins by believing that God is really there. To me that is an act of mental faith as it were, a kind of acknowledgement in my head as it were of God's existence. But then this would be faith in my own mental conception of 'God'. I don't know if this is faith or not?

Last edited:

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think I raised this question a time or two in the past, but i would like to bring it up again as I still struggle with this.

It comes from Francis Schaeffers writtings were he contrasts biblical faith, with modern faith, which he says is faith turned inward, and he attributes the rise of this to Soren Kierkegarrd. I wasn't very familiar with Kierkegarrd or his writtings so I am not sure were he writes about faith.

Schaeffer seems to have come to a rational certitude regarding the truth of God's existence, God's being there, based on things such as the bible completing the picture, and that a Personal God explains why people are verbalising beings.

This is were I struggle however - I can't see how one can have faith that is not in faith in some manner. To me one begins by believing that God is really there. To me that is an act of mental faith as it were, a kind of acknowledgement in my head as it were of God's existence. But then this would be faith in my own mental conception of 'God'. I don't know if this is faith or not?

I haven't read those, so just replying in general but ...

I think some of Christianity pushes what I would consider "faith in faith". To hear them explain salvation, one need only mentally/intellectually assent to God's existence. Sometimes the level of certitude is tied to "salvation".

The Scriptures, and historically Christianity, have taught no such thing. Indeed, even the demons believe and tremble. They not only know God exists, but they recognize Christ when He approached in human form, knew full well who He was (eternally speaking), and feared His power.

That doesn't mean they are "saved".

Faith is putting one's trust in God, and one will also try to keep His commanments, grow to love Him, have a relationship with Him, and be changed by the Holy Spirit. These things the demons do not do.

If we have faith only in our faith, then we need to examine ourselves closely to see if we are even IN the faith.

I don't have faith in my faith. I do HAVE faith, and thank God for that gift, and that He has nurtured it. But might it suffer in me, might I lose my certainty? I have to admit that could be possible, though it seems to me very unlikely. But God forbid, if it were to happen, I can only trust in Him to restore it, and to keep me in Him in the meantime. Any other focus is really faith in ourselves, in some sense, and that is not what can save me.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@dms1972, no one can blame you for confusion. All kinds of things are said about salvation. The idea that you just need to agree with John 3:16 and you are saved is asserted in various ways.

A very reasonably response to:

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
(John 3:16, 1984 NIV)

is: Ok, so how do I believe?

Faith in faith is a real thing, and it is very bad. It is the objectification of trusting Jesus as if that's what we need, rather than trusting Jesus. It is an effective way to halt a person's spiritual growth because it can make a person think everything is fine when it is not.

A practical approach to avoid this is to talk about Jesus, who he is, and what he does. Get people's thoughts off faith and get them on the Lord himself. Believing what is said and written about Jesus (especially God's own words) is where faith in Jesus comes from, not from "trying" to believe. Talking about faith in God is valuable, but not in a direct sense for salvation.

For those that have learned that they must believe to be saved, but have recognized that knowing they must believe is not the same as actually believing, the path they need to be on, that leads to God granting genuine faith, is to be obedient to everything God commanded. The purging ourselves of sinning is difficult and painful, because that is the nature of sin. The power of a person's sinful nature doesn't want to give up its slave.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
in all honesty i don't think i am a believer. i think i went into rationalism, or humanism when I was young, then pretended to believe perhaps because in a christian family, but really i was still rationalistic or humanistic, and so I have often felt a kind of contradiction in myself. Not really sure what my worldview is now.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Heb. 11: 1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.

3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

4 By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.”For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. By his faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that is in keeping with faith.

All mature adults are gifted with some degree of faith, but the individual has to place his/her faith in God to allow God to help them.

Remember: God is doing all He can to help you to accept His charity, but giving you “knowledge” of His existence will not make you humble to the point of accepting pure charity.

There is a huge problem with “knowledge” since it tends to “puff up” those that have it. Also “knowledge” is something the individual can obtain and thus become more self-reliant, when the need of the individual is to be humble and accepting of God’s help (charity).

Some people in the OT had direct “knowledge” of God’s existence (like those that walked through the Red Sea), but that did not help them to be humble.

God has given all mature adults the ability to express faith in somethings or some people.

If salvation was dependent on some other factor than “faith” such as knowledge, ancestry, physical strength, good looks, courage, or some kind of achievement, God would not be fair/just.

Directing the little faith (we all have) toward a benevolent Creator is something the lowliest mature adult on earth can do, so extending faith toward God existence is a humbling experience (and very easy to do). That little humility is all you need to be willing to humbly accept pure charity (something man find hard to do).

God is doing all He can to help you to accept His pure charity as charity (these gifts of charity are unbelievably huge). Since, Faith in God helps us in our acceptance of charity, God allows us to extend faith toward Him, but having faith in the existence of a benevolent Creator is made as easy as possible yet it is still not knowledge.

If you do not “need” to believe (trust) in a benevolent Creator than you can avoid putting your faith in a benevolent Creator. You can believe (trust) that the universe and life was a random result, since it would make no difference unless you had a real “need” to believe in a benevolent God.

Atheist may say “I do not believe anything”, but practically they act like; they “believe” the Christian God does not exist and for most of my discussions with them, do not want or like the Christian God, so they have reason not to believe.

You will find you are on a “need to know bases” and if it would “upset” you to know, so God will not upset you, since all He wants to do is help you.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

"Faith" is synonymous with "trust" and it does not make sense to trust someone to exist, so faith in God is not in regard to believing in His existence, but rather it is regard to trusting Him to keep His promises and trusting Him about how we should live. I would agree that we must first come to a rational certitude regarding the truth of God's existence before we can have faith in Him.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,008.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

To acknowledge God's existence is the essence and beginning of faith, because faith is the "knowledge of God" which was lost for us at the Fall. It is to respond to the Word, His revelation which the church proclaims, to believe in God and His promises.

"And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him." Heb 11:6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

I would liken the difference as being between believing I am saved versus believing that Christ has saved me.

Sure, the second leads to the first. But the first, alone, has no foundation. I think that's what Schaeffer was getting at.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have read both Schaeffer and read some of Kierkegarrd.

I just don't understand Schaeffer's issue with Kierkegarrd. I mean I could just defer to Schaeffer. Kierkegarrd is not the easiest to understand to be sure, but he seems to be a christian.

One or two others have issues with Schaeffer also, for instance Greg Bahnsen.

www.reformed.org/webfiles/antithesis/index.html?mainframe=/webfiles/antithesis/v1n3/ant_v1n3_schaeffer.html

Schaeffer's whole thought seems to be based around the concept of truth, or having a right conception of truth: Truth is antithetical, not dialectical he says.

I don't know if anyone here has read any of these writers to know what i am talking about?

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
"Faith" is synonymous with "trust" and it does not make sense to trust someone to exist, so faith in God is not in regard to believing in His existence, but rather it is regard to trusting Him to keep His promises and trusting Him about how we should live. I would agree that we must first come to a rational certitude regarding the truth of God's existence before we can have faith in Him.

Thanks for your comment.

If I may pursue things a little further. To trust God, one must believe there is a God. And thats were I am stuck. I would say I had some idea of God earlier in my life but drifted, and then I evaluated the differrnt views, atheistic evolution versus theism and both seemed to me equal in terms of logic, following from their staring points. The atheist wasn't saying anything that didn't follow from his starting point, neither was the christian. Evaluating them in this way did not help me decide which starting point. Both seemed convincing. Was my method wrong?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your comment.

If I may pursue things a little further. To trust God, one must believe there is a God. And thats were I am stuck. I would say I had some idea of God earlier in my life but drifted, and then I evaluated the differrnt views, atheistic evolution versus theism and both seemed to me equal in terms of logic, following from their staring points. The atheist wasn't saying anything that didn't follow from his starting point, neither was the christian. Evaluating them in this way did not help me decide which starting point. Both seemed convincing. Was my method wrong?

You're welcome. :)

I think both the belief that God exists and the belief that God does not exist both are part of worldviews that are difficult to believe. For example, someone who believes God does not exist is stuck with trying to explain how something came from nothing, how we got life from non-life, how we got order from chaos, and how we get the immaterial from physical matter. I find the position that the universe had a cause, that the cause must have certain properties, and noting that those properties correspond to our idea of God to be much more convincing than the answers given by those who believe God does not exist, especially when in light of the fact that naturalism, materialism, and evolution are incompatible beliefs.

If you accept naturalism, materialism, and evolution, then you can't think of your cognitive faculties as being reliable. Under evolution, our behavior is adaptive toward survival and reproduction, so the same goes for the neurology that causes our behavior. The neurology that causes our behavior also causes our beliefs, so what we believe makes no difference in regard to whether it is true as long as it increases our adaptability. So if you take a particular belief, then it is as likely to be true as false, which means that the probability that our cognitive faculties give us reliable information about what is true would be rather low. So anyone who believes naturalism, materialism, and evolution has good reason to doubt whether they or any other belief that is produced by their cognitive faculties is true.

Likewise, while I find it difficult to believe that Jesus rose from the dead, I find it even more difficult to believe that Christianity survived its inception without a resurrected Savior, but either way it involves believing that something next to impossible happened. There are many good reasons why Christianity should have died out along with all of the other Messianic startups after the death of the leader, any few of which would have been sufficient to ensure that it died out:

The Impossible Faith

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
thanks again.

I have one or two more questions.

Firstly regarding the difficulty of believing the resurrection. I know apologetics are more popular today. However I didn't really hear anything like that in church when I was young. We had no 'christianity explored' courses, small groups or that sort or thing. Basically it was mostly preaching. My dad was a missionary, not the sort that go to pre modern tribes, but in a modern city. I think occasionally there would be non christians coming to his services, presumably people he had met during visitation and invited. in any case I suppose people expressed a desire to become a christian, he would take them through some bible verses and pray with them.

My difficulty to be honest is that i think I often professed to believe before I actually was a believer.

I have spent a lot of time reading christian theology,trying to get an understanding of how one actually becomes a christian, I have read every sort, reformed, existentialist, neo orthodox, roman catholic, orthodox. Some are dead opposed to each other for instance SCHAEFFER versus KIERKEGARD / BARTH. Really its often reformed versus modern. i think I get what Schaefer is saying.
But I read some of kiekegarrd for myself, and he seemed ok to me he just had his way of explaining it. Some of his writting i just don't understand, but isn't it to a particular situation. He was speaking tompeople whombelieved themselves to be christian pretty much by birth.

I honestly don't know where i am at or what I want.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
thanks again.

I have one or two more questions.

You're welcome again, but I am not sure what your questions are.

Firstly regarding the difficulty of believing the resurrection. I know apologetics are more popular today. However I didn't really hear anything like that in church when I was young.

I think it is critically important to teach people not just what Christians believe, but why we believe it, and to be able to defend why we believe it. In 1 Peter 3:15, we are told to have be prepared to have a defence for the hope that is within us, so it saddens me when many churches do not teach apologetics. When children reach the point where they are no longer sheltered by their parents, they very likely run across people who will challenge what they believe, and if they are not taught a firm foundation about why their believe what they believe, then they likely will become lost, which is why many people lose their faith in college. Christianity has a long history of people struggling with the same doubts that we have a rich intellectual history to draw upon, but I am not sure that the average Christian has even heard of someone like Kierkegaard. Personally, I think C.S. Lewis is easier to understand, so I highly recommend all of his works, but specifically Mere Christianity:

http://www.samizdat.qc.ca/vc/pdfs/MereChristianity_CSL.pdf

My difficulty to be honest is that i think I often professed to believe before I actually was a believer.

I think that everyone who grows up as a Christian reaches some point where they need to examine why they believe what they believe, where it becomes their own faith rather than their parent's faith, so I think it is good that you are digging into these sorts of issues. You should find it comforting that many other people have gone through the same struggles that you are going through, so keep digging.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
thanks again for your reply.

I have Lewis's Mere Christianity, hes a good writer, but has a different approach apologetically from Francis Schaeffer.

I apologise for the length of this.

It may be just that I have read many conflicting views that
I am not sure who to listen to.

Maybe I am not even a christian yet, but the strange thing is I seem understand things as well as many christians.

Just to say a word about were I am coming from.

In the past I have been pretty far out in my thinking philosophically speaking. Then for a short while I tried to do Transcendental Meditation. That really was a bad move for me, because I had relied a lot on skepticism to keep myself from believing nonsense. I wasn't a total skeptic, as I didn't want to shut the door completely on the christian idea of God. But i noticed after trying to do TM that I had a much harder time rejecting as ridiculous, notions like the possibilty of levitation and what is called 'yogic flying' (something some TMers claim to be able to do). I also felt my whole idea of God had changed. I suppose my christian, or maybe modern western idea of myself was shrinking, and I felt then it had gone. Is there a way back from that?

A couple of things in your reply I would like to comment on. You speak of the need to know why one believes? I have seen books on this and yet there is something about the order here that bothers me. Surely one should know why one believes? Yet people often believe first then look for reasons. Perhaps they are told to believe the Bible. It is that way for people who have christian parents as with me (my dad passed away when I was still struggling somwhat with christian belief). We have been brought up hearing that the Bible is God's Word. So a minister often will say after reading from the Bible 'this is the Word of the Lord'. I am not disagreeing with them saying that. But I am not quite sure that I understand what people mean when they something is 'God's Word'

So that is the basis for some people believing.

The problems came for me when I started finding it difficult to believe the Bible. I am not sure why that was but I wonder was it by absorbing different presuppositions by osmosis or was it by disobedience. Probably disobedience then osmosis.

So what is the way into christianity?

It seems like for Francis Schaeffer one first has to accept there such things as absolutes.

There was a time when most people accepted this, whether christian or not, and people could discuss what was true and what was false.

According Schaeffer it was Hegel who changed all this, and introduced a different concept of truth, which relativised all positions.

Schaeffer writes: 'Truth in the sense of antithesis, is related to the idea of cause and effect. Cause and effect produces a chain reaction which goes straight on a horizontal line. With the coming of Hegel this changed.'

What Schaeffer means is that before Hegel when someone said 'This is true', people thought well if that is true then its opposite is false.

This isn't to say that everyone adopted Hegel's views.

But Hegel introduced the notion of synthesis. That is, one has a thesis and opposite it an antithesis, and rather than it being that if one is true then the other is false, Hegel said one resolves these in a synthesis,which then becomes amnew thesis and so the process repeats. I am not sure how he said one should go about that.

BTW if i am not explaining this right or if anyone who knows about this stuff thinks Schaeffer isn't quite correct, please feel free to chip in. I am kind of holding what Schaeffer says in abeyance (he may or may not be entirely correct) so to speak, as I am not well enough read to disagree

Ok then comes Kierkegard, and he says one cannot arrive at a synthesis by reason. Instead you acheive everything of importance by a leap of faith.

This Schaeffer says was not biblical faith, or that that it led to a concept of faith that was not Biblical, but modern.

It comes from Kierkegarrd's writing about Abraham and the 'sacrifice' of Issac, which God didn't allow to be consummated. Kierrgarrd says Abraham acted in faith without anything rational to base it on. And Schaeffer disagrees because he says "before Abraham was asked to do this he had much propositional revelation from God, he had seen God, God had fulfilled promises to him. In short, God's words at this time were in the context of Abraham's strong reasons for knowing that God both existed and was totally trustworthy."

Anyway it seems to me I just have conscious belief at times, but unconscious unbelief, and I don't know how to resolve that.

If you have read this far, thankyou, and if you have any thoughts on any of this please share.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Faith has to be focused on and centred in Christ to be the faith that God accepts. When Hebrews 11 lists the exploits of faith, the writer is saying that it is faith in Christ, not just faith in itself. Faith in a person, in a church, even in the Bible itself is not enough to save a person; but it has to be faith directly in Christ as the Son Of God and that He rose from the dead. It is that faith that releases the promises of God. Because the Father has placed all the affairs of the Church in the hands of Christ, then even faith in the Father or in the Holy Spirit is misdirected. If we direct our faith to either of them, they will respond, "What think ye of Christ?" It is our attitude to Christ that makes or breaks us.

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
When Hebrews 11 lists the exploits of faith, the writer is saying that it is faith in Christ, not just faith in itself. Faith in a person, in a church, even in the Bible itself is not enough to save a person; but it has to be faith directly in Christ as the Son Of God and that He rose from the dead. It is that faith that releases the promises of God. Because the Father has placed all the affairs of the Church in the hands of Christ, then even faith in the Father or in the Holy Spirit is misdirected. If we direct our faith to either of them, they will respond, "What think ye of Christ?" It is our attitude to Christ that makes or breaks us.

Ok but can a person not have faith in God, ie. that there is a Creator, but not yet be a christian?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟283,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
thanks again for your reply.

I have Lewis's Mere Christianity, hes a good writer, but has a different approach apologetically from Francis Schaeffer.

I apologise for the length of this.

It may be just that I have read many conflicting views that
I am not sure who to listen to.

Maybe I am not even a christian yet, but the strange thing is I seem understand things as well as many christians.

Cool, I'm glad that you have Mere Christianity. No need to apologize for length. There is much more information out there than we will ever have time to evaluate, so there is nothing wrong with having trouble discerning who to listen to.

Just to say a word about were I am coming from.

In the past I have been pretty far out in my thinking philosophically speaking. Then for a short while I tried to do Transcendental Meditation. That really was a bad move for me, because I had relied a lot on skepticism to keep myself from believing nonsense. I wasn't a total skeptic, as I didn't want to shut the door completely on the christian idea of God. But i noticed after trying to do TM that I had a much harder time rejecting as ridiculous, notions like the possibilty of levitation and what is called 'yogic flying' (something some TMers claim to be able to do). I also felt my whole idea of God had changed. I suppose my christian, or maybe modern western idea of myself was shrinking, and I felt then it had gone. Is there a way back from that?

I'm sorry, I don't have a lot of experience with TM, so I can't really comment.

A couple of things in your reply I would like to comment on. You speak of the need to know why one believes? I have seen books on this and yet there is something about the order here that bothers me. Surely one should know why one believes? Yet people often believe first then look for reasons. Perhaps they are told to believe the Bible. It is that way for people who have christian parents as with me (my dad passed away when I was still struggling somwhat with christian belief). We have been brought up hearing that the Bible is God's Word. So a minister often will say after reading from the Bible 'this is the Word of the Lord'. I am not disagreeing with them saying that.

So that is the basis for some people believing.

Technically, we all need a reason why to believe something before we form the belief, otherwise the belief would never be formed in the first place. However, while the reasons why we formed a belief appear good to us when we are forming the belief, they can often later appear to be not as good. For example, many people believe Christianity is true simply because that is what they were taught growing up and they trusted their parents, however when doubts later arise and they haven't been taught a firm foundation to fall back on, then it is easy for them to dismiss their belief. So we need to teach good reasons for why we believe that go deeper than because that is just what we were taught. For example, we need to teach how we can know that the Bible was accurately remembered until it was eventually, how we can know that what we have today matches what was originally written, how we can know that the Gospels are eyewitness accounts, and how we can know that we can trust the authors. After looking into this sorts of issues, we can either reinforce our belief or discover that we can not be as confident in the belief as we once thought.

I have been wrong about many things in the past and I very likely will be wrong about many things in the future, so the chances are pretty good that there are currently things that I hold to be true that I am wrong about, I just don't know which things they are. The only way to find other which of my beliefs are false is continue to diligently investigate their veracity. So I see learning as the process of taking in new true and false information, reinforcing true beliefs, and dismissing beliefs that we wrongly thought to be true. Naturally the problem comes when we wrongly reinforce a false belief or wrongly dismiss a true belief.

But I am not quite sure that I understand what people mean when they something is 'God's Word'

Basically God's instructions.

It seems like for Francis Schaeffer one first has to accept there such things as absolutes.

There was a time when most people accepted this, whether christian or not, and people could discuss what was true and what was false.

According Schaeffer it was Hegel who changed all this, and introduced a different concept of truth, which relativised all positions.

Schaeffer writes: 'Truth in the sense of antithesis, is related to the idea of cause and effect. Cause and effect produces a chain reaction which goes straight on a horizontal line. With the coming of Hegel this changed.'

What Schaeffer means is that before Hegel when someone said 'This is true', people thought well if that is true then its opposite is false.

This isn't to say that everyone adopted Hegel's views.

But Hegel introduced the notion of synthesis. That is, one has a thesis and opposite it an antithesis, and rather than it being that if one is true then the other is false, Hegel said one resolves these in a synthesis,which then becomes amnew thesis and so the process repeats. I am not sure how he said one should go about that.

BTW if i am not explaining this right or if anyone who knows about this stuff thinks Schaeffer isn't quite correct, please feel free to chip in. I am kind of holding what Schaeffer says in abeyance (he may or may not be entirely correct) so to speak, as I am not well enough read to disagree

Ok then comes Kierkegard, and he says one cannot arrive at a synthesis by reason. Instead you acheive everything of importance by a leap of faith.

This Schaeffer says was not biblical faith, or that that it led to a concept of faith that was not Biblical, but modern.

It comes from Kierkegarrd's writing about Abraham and the 'sacrifice' of Issac, which God didn't allow to be consummated. Kierrgarrd says Abraham acted in faith without anything rational to base it on. And Schaeffer disagrees because he says "before Abraham was asked to do this he had much propositional revelation from God, he had seen God, God had fulfilled promises to him. In short, God's words at this time were in the context of Abraham's strong reasons for knowing that God both existed and was totally trustworthy."

Anyway it seems to me I just have conscious belief at times, but unconscious unbelief, and I don't know how to resolve that.

If you have read this far, thankyou, and if you have any thoughts on any of this please share.

In the Bible, "faith" is synonymous with "trust". I've read Edward Feser's book on Aquinas, which I would recommend, but he has defined "faith" as "nothing less than the will to keep one's mind fixed precisely on what reason has discovered to it". So you can use reason to discover that someone is trustworthy, but we can't see the future, so we can't know for sure whether someone will be trustworthy in the future. So having faith in someone is demonstrating that we trust them by putting ourselves at risk if they turn out to not be untrustworthy, keeping our mind focused on the good reasons that we had for thinking that they will be trustworthy, and continuing to act like what they promised is a done deal even when it is starting to look like it might not be. So it is a leap of faith in that we are committing to something that will put us at risk, but it is a reasoned leap rather than a blind leap. There are truths in the Bible that are revealed by God that we can't deduce through reason alone, but we can nevertheless discover good reasons to trust that what the Bible reveals is true. So when we have doubts about whether Christianity is true, we have a firm foundation and can go back and review the good reasons we had for believing and can continue to keep our mind focused on those reasons.

Abraham did not get the level of faith that he had over night, but rather it grew through a long relationship with God, so I am in agreement with Schaeffer on this issue. It is no different than the faith that we have in a friend. Through our experience with them we have placed our trust in them and have continued to find them to be trustworthy, so we can have a much higher level of trust with our friend than with a stranger.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Ok but can a person not have faith in God, ie. that there is a Creator, but not yet be a christian?
Jesus said plainly: "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life and no one comes to the Father except by Me." This means that no one can be a Christian unless he totally believes that Jesus is the Son of God and that He rose from the dead. The Father has given all things at this time into the hands of Jesus His Son. Therefore He requires a person to direct His faith to Jesus Christ and to no one else during this day of grace. It will only when everything is fulfilled at the end of time that Jesus will give the Church and the Kingdom back to the Father.

So my answer is that a person can be religious while he believes in a creator, but not a Christian until he puts his entire faith in Jesus Christ. That is why the gate to salvation and eternity is narrow. It can come only through one Person, Jesus Christ. Religious people can go over the wall, but they will be shut out of the Celestial City if they get that far.

Upvote 0