Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Dear fellow believers,
I am trying to make sense out of the verse that says our faith can move mountains....some reputable sources say that we need to ask the Lord to increase our faith - others say we just need faith as small as a mustard seed.

I am not a charismatic nor a proponent of Word of Faith teaching but I am trying to apply this verse to my own situation where I am seeking healing for someone.

I am open to hearing people's thoughts provided they are based on scripture because scripture does interpret scripture after all.

Also, perhaps other people's testimonies of how the Lord moved mountains in their lives.

Looking forward to your replies with great anticipation!

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dear fellow believers,
I am trying to make sense out of the verse that says our faith can move mountains....some reputable sources say that we need to ask the Lord to increase our faith - others say we just need faith as small as a mustard seed.

I am not a charismatic nor a proponent of Word of Faith teaching but I am trying to apply this verse to my own situation where I am seeking healing for someone.

I am open to hearing people's thoughts provided they are based on scripture because scripture does interpret scripture after all.

Also, perhaps other people's testimonies of how the Lord moved mountains in their lives.

Ask God for the prayer that comes from Him, and that prayer is answered 100% of the time and can be miraculous. It only takes a mustard seed of faith to ask God for the correct prayers.
More here on another post: 3 minutes ago#9

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm actually writing a book on the Matt 17 version of mountain moving faith. I believe that this scripture's core meaning is a bit different than others about mountains. Here the mountain isn't removed, it's moved. Therefore I believe the mountain in this case is not a reference to obstacles as in other similar references, but instead it is a reference to the mountain of trans-configuration which immediately precedes this. And that itself is an extension of Matt 16 (on this rock I will build my church....) It is ultimately about being a carrier of God's glory (being a light/positive example) wherever we go, which Paul later expands upon in 2 Cor 3.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟950,809.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I believe in healing and have been healed from two incurable ailments and other discomforts. I asked for healing for one condition and prayed about it several times. The Lord confirmed my healing and there’s no medical evidence it ever existed. I’ve been going to the same practice and hospital for 25 years. They’ve validated the same.

In the second, I was told to pray against the spirit of infirmity one month prior to falling ill. I received care and a diagnosis. Physical therapy was assigned but I never completed it. By the third session I was released. I had 5 more to go. The physician confirmed my recovery and wished me well. That was a year ago.

I have immense faith. But I hasten to suggest that isn’t the result of gifting in addition to belief in God. I never doubt Him or question what He asks of me. I trust its for my betterment. When I pray I expect His will is done. I never worry or think He’s holding back or doubt His love or my position.

I never think about this and I’m glad you asked. I prayed for the gift of faith when I came to Christ and later on as well. This is the definition:

FAITH: 1 Cor. 12:8-10 - to be firmly persuaded of God's power and promises to accomplish His will and purpose and to display such a confidence in Him and His Word that circumstances and obstacles do not shake that conviction.

Oftentimes I use Paul’s words. I’m convinced and that surety never wanes. If I’m feeling off about a situation its me; never Him. I know the problem resides within me. In my mind, heart, or flesh.

You’ve blessed me with this question. I can see the impact in my walk and life and its amazing to behold. Thank you for that.

If you’re seeking healing ask for it. But also ask for faith as well. You’ll need it to stand firm in your prayers and not be shaken by the time or how He answers. He will respond.

Faith enables you to embrace His will joyfully no matter what. He’s gifted me richly. But this is the one that’s made the greatest difference. Above all others. It is my hope your prayers are granted.

Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dear fellow believers,

I have been part of healing that worked and I fasted and prayed for three days for the healing.

Upvote 0

Ernest S

Aug 31, 2019
London
✟7,711.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear fellow believers,

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God.

It is not therefore "your faith" nor do you have to have a lot of it - in that sense it can even be the smallest, the size of a mustard seed, the smallest seed then in common use - because it is what God says and what God is going to do.

if God shows you something, then that is true and will be. The important thing therefore is to hear God, have Him reveal or show you, have Him speak to you, have Him with you in your life or circumstances so that you can rest upon Him. it is His work not yours and He would have you walk in it.

If I may put it colloquially, if you are following Him and you encounter or He brings an impossible mountain into your circumstances then He will lead you through that even perhaps to remove it. You are to hear Him in the matter and seek His will. You may have to pursue Him in this and wait upon Him.

You see the vital thing here is that the emphasis is upon Him and not yourself?

Upvote 0

shadowhunter

+collaboratively study, ~ debate, -fight.
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2008
✟60,940.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Hebrew word for 'water' is מים mayim. In Hebrew, words derive their meaning from the combined metaphor of the letters. In this case the first mem מ represets the Father, and the second mem ם represents the son.

Jesus told the woman at Sychar, at the well, that though she worshiped on the mountain, she would worship in Spirit and Truth. And the Father is Spirit, the Son is the Truth. She would move the mountain to the waters.

The saying means, that if you have faith of the mustard seed.... I guess we have to know what that is. Jesus is the seed of the woman in Genesis who had a bruised heel. He is the least of all the seed because he served us all on the cross. 'Mustard' in Greek sounds like 'bruised by anger' in Hebrew. Jesus is the bruised seed of the woman. And if you have faith of/in Christ, your worship will be in Spirit and Truth rather than man-made ritual.

Upvote 0

Eha

Jan 6, 2020
Tallinn
✟30,373.00
Country
Estonia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear fellow believers,

Hello!
Healing in my life is normal and have to tell you, it was each time different - sometimes immediate, sometimes i had to "stay in faith" for some time.
As i just follow direct leading from Heavenly Father through Holy Spirit , i have no "formula" ready to work.
But i may share, what means "faith small, as mustard seed" - it is not, how much you believe - you believe or not - that simple. It is about time - as Heavenly Father told me - it is about time - mustard seed = blink of eye.
Stay in faith - as Heavenly Father told me - pray, and wait, until you see/feel/or just know, your's pray is answered - but, stay in faith meanwhile, that means - don't allow yourself to doubt, be afraid or scare with some thoughts - just each time say to yourself, when feel worried - i have prayed and believe, what ever happens now, is the best for me and Heavenly Father will take care of it.
Heavenly Father told me in the end - don't be worry! faith don't worry!, Don't allow yourself be scared - faith doesn't afraid. Don't even think about it (i know - it was almost impossible for me even now, sometimes, but it IS possible - if you focus) because with 1 problem can deal at time just one - Me or you!

James 1
6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord

If you don't hear God clearly yet - just pray and stay in faith. And i think, believe, that you already got (yes - GOT) that answer, even if don't see/feel or know it yet, just for a second.. it's not so hard too.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WebersHome

Site Supporter
May 7, 2017
Oregon
✟368,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt 17:20-21 . . Truly I say to you: if you have faith as a mustard seed, you shall say to this mountain "Move from here to there" and it shall move; and nothing shall be impossible to you.

Luke 17:6 . . And the Lord said: If you had faith like a mustard seed, you would say to this mulberry tree, "Be uprooted and be planted in the sea" and it would obey you

If you are unable to move mountains and/or uproot trees with your voice, then I'd have to say that you don't have the kind of faith that the Lord is talking about; you probably have a faith of some kind or another; but not that one.
_

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
others say we just need faith as small as a mustard seed.
In Hebrew the Yod is the least or the smallest of all letters. This is like our apostrophe today used to join two words together. We join two worlds together. The Yod represents the point where Heaven and Earth meet, where the natural and supernatural become one. A Yod can be little more then a dot when the pen first makes contact with the paper. So all letters contain a Yod or a point of contact where they first begin. All great manuscripts begin with a Yod when the pen first makes contact with the paper. We see a Yod with the big bang when the universe contracted or crunched & then began to expand. This represents the infinity of God being crunched or contracted and this creates a finite world. The Yod is a little that holds a lot. This is the first letter of God's name. So the Yod represents God the Father. If we ask where would an infinite God put a finite world - the answer is in the Yod where all of infinity is reduced to the least of reality. This is represented by the atom. Very small but if you split just ONE atom the explosion is very big. We also see this in fractals represented in the Mandelbrot Set. Although this is a loop it does go on for an infinity. Everything contains the Yod, a point of contact or a beginning. A seed or a point where things begin to expand and grow. Where ideas take root and grow. Before a seed can take root they first have to sprout. So the Mustard seed being the least of all seeds represent the beginning of what we would consider to be the greatest. "Which indeed is the least of all seeds: but when it is grown, it is the greatest among herbs, and becometh a tree, so that the birds of the air come and lodge in the branches thereof." (Matthew 13:32)

Last edited:
Upvote 0