Los Angeles
✟7,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been smoking for several years but now my life is such, that I let faith in the soul. Now I understand how strong this addiction and how much it harms my body, mind, and soul. The researches show that smoking addiction is one of the strongest forms of addiction in the world. According to the CDC, cigarettes are as addictive as heroin or cocaine. And now I try to quit and wondering how faith can help me. I found a lot of informative and well-written articles one of them describe how to listen to your soul and be stronger than this bad habit, how strong and posiitive faith can be( if maybe you are interested, it placed on one site- VapingDaily). But now I am really interested in someone's mind or life experience connected with this question. Because it's always easy to write about some problems, but when you overcome these difficulties by yourself, your view can be changed.

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
This isn't the same, but, maybe related. I used to have a drinking problem back when I was a student at Tech. My Christian counselor (Dr. Adrian Hickmon) didn't call me an alcoholic, but a heavy drinker. It took a commitment to Jesus and the power of the Holy Spirit to set me free. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since 1997 (and I didn't even need to go to AA). Jesus does deliver. I shall be praying for you. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have been smoking for several years but now my life is such, that I let faith in the soul. Now I understand how strong this addiction and how much it harms my body, mind, and soul. The researches show that smoking addiction is one of the strongest forms of addiction in the world. According to the CDC, cigarettes are as addictive as heroin or cocaine. And now I try to quit and wondering how faith can help me. I found a lot of informative and well-written articles one of them describe how to listen to your soul and be stronger than this bad habit, how strong and posiitive faith can be( if maybe you are interested, it placed on one site- VapingDaily). But now I am really interested in someone's mind or life experience connected with this question. Because it's always easy to write about some problems, but when you overcome these difficulties by yourself, your view can be changed.
I got really ticked off at the addiction (rather than sympathizing with it), and then I was able to drop it like the blood-sucking, life destroying, filthy rotten and great enemy that it is. Smoking is not our friend.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟688,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I smoked for 32 years, and then I was saved.

When I was saved the Holy Spirit convicted me of sin, specifically that smoking was a sin and i needed to stop.

The Bible backed up that conviction. Being addicted to cigarettes is indeed a sin.

In John 8:34-36 Jesus Said:

"Jesus replied, "Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

This is a powerful statement, speaking not only to being a slave to sin but also in the freedom we find through Christ. We have indeed been set free from the bondage of sin - we have but to believe.

I quit smoking, and used sticky notes with bible verses on them pasted all over the house as encouragement, and John 8:36 is one of the ones I used.

God won't give us anything that we can't handle, and there is nothing wrong with using any of the various quitting smoking aids on the market today, vaping included, to get through the initial withdrawals (I used vaping to get through with drawals and to step down from the nicotine before quitting vaping) and get on the road to being a nonsmoker.

I was able to quit smoking successfully... I had tried my whole life to quit periodically and nothing I had ever tried was successful. This last time Christ set me free, and I am free indeed..

Upvote 0

Haydee

Sep 29, 2018
QLD
✟14,801.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private

I was a smoker for years! It’s enslaving and controlling. I knew in my spirit it was bad for me and as a Believer I shouldn't be doing it as the body is a temple of Christ. I didn't know how to quit. Over the years I prayed about it, not all the time, just when it was playing on my mind. I really wanted to stop, but I just kept smoking as it is an addiction. Anyway, I got to a point where the Holy Spirit really started convicting me to give it up. I could not ignore it any longer. He basically kept at me until I listened :)
Cigarettes are incredibly addictive. And from someone who has experienced this and come out the other end through Faith, Hope and Love; quitting is possible without any aid whatsoever except Jesus! I stayed away from NRT’s as they can be addictive also. Though some people do get through quitting with the help of NRT’s. They are called nicotine replacement therapy here, like the gum and patches. You can do this through Faith, but you have to want it. I suggest you press into the Word of God and start a prayer life to get you through, that’s a good start. What also helped me was printing out all the health benefits that quitting gives your body.

I’m so thankful that door is finally closed.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I smoked for years and quitting was the hardest thing I ever faced. Many failures. But I've been free for several decades now. There is a learning curve in figuring out the tricks you pull on yourself that lead you back into it each time (rationalization for starting again). And not falling for them again. But in the end, I found if you can harness the power of love, you can beat any addiction, doing it for someone else for their sake.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It takes a strong conviction/desire to stop. I have a close family member who use to smoke many packs a day (whole packs). Then He came into the church, believed the message, and never smoked again after that....this was decades ago. I also know of a heavy drug addict to use to come to my church as a child.....heavy drub addict...living in abandon buildings....doing anything for the next hit..... He came into our church a few times....believed the message, and quite drugs without the need of rehab......that was about 30 years ago.....today he is one of the most powerful preachers I know.

On another note, I know of one, without church, who was told be a doctor that if he smoked one more cigarette, he would die......he, too, never smoked again after.

When the conviction is strong enough, the habit will disappear.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
God's promises are the weapons of our warfare and you can take your pack of smokes and write on a piece of paper I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me on one side. And on the other put But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts.
And if you stand on these promises and pull out the pack you just say no and cry out to God to strengthen you as you are reaping what you have sown so there will be that withdrawal effect but God is faithful to deliver you.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Smoking is a strong addiction but if I can give it up, so can you. I smoked for 20 years and I've now been smoke-free for 13 years.

After being away from church for along time, I went back in 2004. Having been convicted about smoking, I tried to quit in the fall of '04, but being around another smoker, I only held out for 3 months and started smoking again.

Come summer of '05, I tried again. This time I was successful. I was a 2 pack/day smoker. I smoked my last cigarette on August 5, 2005. By the Grace of God, haven't had a puff since.

How'd I do it? I used Smoke Away, that I got from Walmart, and prayer, lots and lots of prayer. I know that God had more to do with my success than the Smoke Away did. If it weren't for Him I would still be smoking. You've got to include Him in your plan to quit.

What can you expect? The first month was really difficult. The constant craving was always there. And when one of your normal smoking situations/times (after eating, driving, etc) comes along doesn't make it any easier.

After the first month, the cravings finally started slacking off. It became easier. Between then and 6 months, cravings become less and less. From 6 months to 12 months, all cravings were gone but I'd still find myself thinking 'this is a good time for a cig' or reaching over to grab them and they're not there. It took about 1.5 years before I no longer had any thought of smoking whatsoever.

But really, you just have to make it through the first 30 days. That's the hard part. Lean on God. Pray without ceasing. You can do it!

Reactions: Minrice
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

philadelphos

Sydney
Jun 20, 2019
Sydney
✟45,144.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

The Levitical Diet has no tobacco, nicotine, toxin, carconogen, or anything detrimental to health. Understand this, and you'll quit more than smoking. http://www.british-israel.us/315.html; more here British-Israel.us - home

This is not 'food laws' per se, but biblical health and hygiene.

Also, poverty, to live in austerity, where Marlboro doesn't fit on a grocery bill. 'To be content with food and raiment', not food, raiment, and tobacco.

Also, occupation. I think smoking has a lot to do with 'passing time' and boredom. But if you're mind is actively reading, thinking about problems, solving problems, etc, you'll find that time passes naturally and you'll accomplish more.

Having said the above, then understanding that your body is the temple of the Lord, to glorify him in all things.

I used to chain smoke several packets a day. I haven't had a cigarette for 10 years since realising the above, prayerfully and consciously. -- God works within you. He renews your mind, and dwells in your heart.

My skin is clear, my health is prime, everything works, and I don't get sick.

However, I have always adored the scent of Tobacco and some of the pipe tobacco blends are delectable, delicious, so occasionally I indulge in a pipe or cigar, usually in Winter having worked a long day, and wanting a treat, but it's honestly quite dirty, my mouth gets tarred up, my teeth get dirty, my sinus get clogged, and I notice my sleep gets impaired. It takes more mouth wash and brushing to remove. -- So now I just sniff the jar and close it ! Maybe hold a pipe every now and then to help me think, but that's about it !

Upvote 0