Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Faith without obedience is no faith at all. Even the demons believe. Belief is required (Jn 3:16) but obedience is also required (Heb 5:9).

So you agree that faith and obedience are not really two separate things?

Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do you think they are so separate?

Well not being reformed I believe people have free will always. I can have faith and decide not to do something just as jonah

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
We should avoid coming to the conclusion that having faith is something that will lead us to obedience, sometimes we know that something is bad yet we decide to follow upon those desires. Sometimes we need prayer and fasting to look to strengthen our faith.

So faith does not necessarily lead us to obey? That's a strange view. Paul talked about the obedience of faith and said that whatever does not come from faith is sin. When Jesus rebuked his disciples it was because they were of little faith. They needed more faith.

I would say that when we disobey it's only because we disbelieve. One who does not obey does not, at least in that moment, believe. One who trusts God and believes the gospel obeys out of joy.

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think that Jonah was acting in faith when he ran from God's call?

As humans we don't always do what is the right thing yet Jonah never lost faith, not being reformed it is hard to understand calvinism. I don't even think like you do

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who was referring to someone who is genuinely saved "after they have recognized the wretched spiritual condition they were in " ? (as written, and as far as shown so far, most people NEVER realize that, or they simply usually don't care,and don't repent of that)

As written, which attitude leads to death,
and which attitude leads to life with Jesus ?
OR which attitude are you thinking ?

Hi Jeshuaslavejeff,

I think I'm getting off topic with this, but salvation itself is = being saved from our sins which are what separate us from having a relationship with God and render us eternally lost instead, which ultimately renders us the due wages of our sin, which is eternity in hell.

So I don't understand how someone can call themselves saved or think they are saved if they don't understand what they're being saved from. Perhaps therein lies the problem. But again, I think this might be getting too off-topic from the OP.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My contention is that we are saved by faith alone
This contention is not biblical.
But "faith", properly understood, is an active faith which works itself out in loving obedience.
Just as God gives us grace so we can have the faith necessary for salvation, He gives us grace to choose (as you put it) loving obedience. Without His grace we could not have the faith, or make the choices that please Him.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think I understand what you're saying - and it IS absolutely wrong to suggest to someone that's struggling with sin (especially if you're inferring something like an addiction) to "just have more faith", because that's an empty (and frustrating suggestion). However.....I DO believe that, at the root of that, there is some sort of faith in a lie over faith over Christ in all that (or....often it's a desire to numb the pain instead of dealing with the tremendous pain).

I still stand by the statement that faith leads to obedience (and "faith" isn't just one general thing - it's a series of things we believe that are true about God and our relationship to Him and others).
Yeah, I don't disagree that faith leads to obedience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
As humans we don't always do what is the right thing yet Jonah never lost faith, not being reformed it is hard to understand calvinism

So you think that Jonah's actions were the actions of a faithful man?

Isn't it obvious that Jonah was acting in unbelief when he ran from God? He did not believe that the Ninevites deserved mercy and did not want God to be merciful to them. He did not believe that it would be good for God to show them mercy. He didn't trust God's plan.

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Just as God gives us grace so we can have the faith necessary for salvation, He gives us grace to choose (as you put it) loving obedience. Without His grace we could not have the faith, or make the choices that please Him.
Exactly!

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Do you suppose that faith and obedience are distinct, unrelated things?

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you think that Jonah's actions were the actions of a faithful man?

Isn't it obvious that Jonah was acting in unbelief when he ran from God? He did not believe that the Ninevites deserved mercy and did not want God to be merciful to them. He did not believe that it would be good for God to show them mercy. He didn't trust God's plan.

Yes I do and let's leave it at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
So faith does not necessarily lead us to obey? That's a strange view. Paul talked about the obedience of faith and said that whatever does not come from faith is sin. When Jesus rebuked his disciples it was because they were of little faith. They needed more faith.

I would say that when we disobey it's only because we disbelieve. One who does not obey does not, at least in that moment, believe. One who trusts God and believes the gospel obeys out of joy.
Is faith something we have and then we don't? Or something we have but not use?

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,209.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you suppose that faith and obedience are distinct, unrelated things?
I suppose faith alone is not biblical. If you can show us otherwise, please do. Let's put this to bed before we explore whether faith and obedience are distinct and unrelated things. After all, I suspect the latter builds on the former.

Upvote 0