Faith, and its place in spiritual rebirth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟424,761.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I came across Martin Luthers writing "Preface to Romans," which is on faith, and thought I would share it:

"Faith is a divine work in us, which transforms us, gives us a new birth out of God (John 1:13), slays the old Adam, makes us altogether different men in heart, affection, mind, and all powers, and brings with it the Holy Spirit. Oh, it is a living, energetic, active, mighty thing, this faith! It cannot but do good unceasingly. There is no question asked whether good works are to be done, but before the question is asked the works have been done, and there is a continuous doing of them. But any person not doing such works is without faith. He is groping in the dark, looking for faith and good works, and knows neither what faith is nor what good works are, although he indulges in a lot of twaddle and nonsense concerning faith and good works.

Faith is a living, daring confidence in the grace of God, of such assurance that it would risk a thousand deaths. This confidence and knowledge of divine grace makes a person happy, bold, and full of gladness in his relation to God and all creatures. The Holy Spirit is doing this in the believer. Hence it is that a person, without constraint, becomes willing and enthusiastic to do good to everybody, to serve every-body, to suffer all manner of afflictions, from love of God and to the praise of Him who has extended such grace to him. Accordingly, it is impossible to separate works from faith, just as impossible as it is to separate the power to burn and shine from fire. Accordingly, beware of your own false thoughts and of idle talkers, who pretend great wisdom for discerning faith and good works and yet are the greatest fools. Pray God that He may create faith in you; otherwise you will remain eternally without faith, no matter what you try to do or fabricate."

It had a reference about John Wesley's famous "Aldersgate Experience" of May 24, 1738. This was the day in 1783 that John Wesley was converted, while reading Martin Luther's preface to St Paul's Epistle to the Romans. It is called the Aldersgate Experience, after the street in London where it happened. It reminded me of what Jesus said about being "born again", so I thought I would share that, here is the story:

"Someone was reading Luther's "Preface to Romans," in which "the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ" is described, when suddenly Wesley felt his own heart "strangely warmed" by the assurance that God's love had been personally extended to him. His followers ever since have tirelessly recited the record of that moment, of spiritual rebirth, which Wesley certainly advocated, depends on undergoing a similar experience. Aldersgate was an event in the life of Wesley that became a central point in the religious consciousness of Methodism."

Status
Not open for further replies.