✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
FAITH AND HEALING

Jeremiah 17:14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise.
Introduction to Bible Study

This author's intent is to carefully go through scripture and study passages related to healing and faith. Without faith we cannot be healed: the two interlocked. We see throughout the Gospels, Jesus claiming as you have believed, let it be done unto you; your faith has made you well; according to your faith be it unto you [Matt. 8:13; Matt. 9:22; Matt. 9:29] These are only three excerpts, more could be quoted, but that will be for a future in-depth study.

But as James writes: faith without works is dead, there are stipulations for healing in the Bible. Such as Exodus 23:25 And ye shall serve the LORD your God, and he shall bless thy bread, and thy water; and I will take sickness away from the midst of thee. Only if we serve the Lord, will He take away sickness from among us.

But despite out best understanding; our best faith and our devout servitude, some of us are still ill. This study is a corrective study to search for reasons why we may still be ill, but this study is also for encouragement since: whom the Lord loves, He chastens, and some health trials are so that we can grow in the Lord and become a fruitful bough.

John 15:2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. [8] Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

Pruning is painful, but it is beneficial to every branch. If we are being tried; if we are being purged, it is a reflection that we are spiritually alive and bearing some fruit. Those who do not bear fruit are spiritually dead; they are removed from the tree and cast away. The spiritually dead are like those who are physically dead: they know nothing. [Ecc. 9:5]

We will be exploring the various reasons for health trials, including, but not limited to:

• Sin [John 5:14; James 5:16]
  • Spiritual Warfare [Job 1:6-12; 1 Peter 5:8]
  • Chastisement [Hebrews 12:5-7]
  • Pruning [John 15:2, 8]
  • Time and Chance [Ecc. 9:11]

James 1:2-4 My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; [3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience. [4] But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.

So let us glorify God, by bearing much fruit and let us count it all joy.

NOTE

This is an open Bible study. Anyone who would like to take part in this study is welcome to teach; comment; question; provide anecdotal stories etc. But please do so respectfully without argument or vain debating, for, Blessed are the peacemakers.

Last edited:

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Without faith we cannot be healed:

Yes faith is neccesary to be healed, but the quantity or quality of that faith is never mentioned and in several accounts it was not the faith of the sick that Jesus commented on but the faith of the centurion and of the friends who brought thesick man.

James further removes faith from the sick when he asserts it is the prayers of the rightous man, the man who has annointed the sick that heals, not the faith of the sick.

It is the excuse of charlatans who say , " You were not healed because of Your lack of faith. "

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
James further removes faith from the sick when he asserts it is the prayers of the rightous man, the man who has annointed the sick that heals, not the faith of the sick.

Then you failed to read James 5:15 "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."

Faith is required for all participants, but primarily for the one being healed--not the one doing the anointing. After all, only by faith does the one who needs healing go to the elders to be anointed and prayed over. And the one who is sick will be in agreement with the prayer, pledging amen.

It is the excuse of charlatans who say , " You were not healed because of Your lack of faith. "

I'm not sure why you would say this. This Bible study is not to accuse people that their faithlessness or their sin has caused them problems, but exploring all possibilities to ill-health, such as being pruned. Do reread the post in full and please stay on topic if you wish to participate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then you failed to read James 5:15 "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him."
contex is key:-
13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. 16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

It is the elders who annoit and pray for the sick, as verse 16 shows it is there faith that heals, not the faith of the sick person.

Why the coment about charletans? because all to often poor understanding of the bible leads to the sick person being blamed for not being healed.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi your not going to find the answer when we say " but this study is also for encouragement since: whom the Lord loves, He chastens, and some health trials are so that we can grow in the Lord and become a fruitful bough."

There was not one person Christ did this do not one in the NT. Please if were going to quote the word lets not add to what is not written. Christ said these signs shall follow them that believe. Christ said what ever you ask the Father in my name He will do. Christ said all things are possible to them that believe. "Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.”. When said if were going to quote the word lets not add to it. Christ said if you have the faith of a mustered see you could tell that MTN to move.. had to move. So what gets added is "what Jesus was saying was not a real MTN no the MTNs in your life". Sorry thats a lie. He never said that. He cursed a tree and they came back it was dead.

Your talking about faith. With faith there is no doubt. Faith works both ways. Ever get sick and tell someone "I get this every time about this year". Every say things like that? You expect what GOD to go against your will? Those that say I do not believe in Jesus. What does God do? Save them anyway? You look around seeing some sick and then say .. ah some times God heals sometimes He does not. So truth now is not Gods word its what you see and how you feel. That alone goes against His word. He said faith comes by hearing hearing by the word of God. He said we walk by faith not sight. So that means no matter what see hear feel you stand by faith. Fear comes what do you do? EVER speak what He said? I say NO! God has not given me the spirit of fear but of power and love and sound mine. For me nothing what so ever happened. Not the next day or next month. Took time for me to believe. Some can believe with that verse in a moment. But I was not moved. NOW goes .. has to. GOD promised. I had to get it from my mind to my heart. I keep saying it till my heart believed it. I have the JOY of the lord. I am strong in the power of HIS might.

I can do ALL things thought Christ that strengths me. See if I doubt I am like a ship tossed back and forth.. let not that man think he will get anything from GOD. ANTYHING healings is just one of those things in that. God already promised it Isa 53 5. Psa 91 1st Peter 2 24 etc. How I live..what I see watch hear and do ALL can effect this. Lol why not just find His promises and don't think.. don't look around just BELIEVE. Then never put GOD on a time clock. KNOW if He said it HE will do it. WHY John 3 16 is true and others things He said is not. Like LUKE 11 13. Ever just read that and simply ask then don't think don't wonder just KNOW no matter how you feel ..He did it! Why? Because He is not like man.. does not act like think like man.

Faith do you work your faith? Read what Jesus said and just believe.. way to much to get into here. Don't believe me.. you seek you pray you ask HIM! But key here when you ask.. if you already believe something else.. He will not say a word. If I am wrong.. FATHER in JESUS NAME change me. Peter and John walked with Christ that only said what GOD said. So a foundation of faith helps. Reading His word and BELIEVING IT. Praying always. Walking in 1st Cor 13 and Phil 4. Having the fruits of the spirit. You know.. want to see GOD move in your life like before? KNOW He LOVES TO GIVE.. KNOW He is for you . KNOW He is not against you. Really take the time to pray and then just listen. At first nothing seems to happen. YOU DONT STOP! keep reading keep praying keep listening. Soon the world will be quite and He will speak. And He will ALWAYS back up what you hear by HIS WORD! Always uplifting never bad sad..things like that. Always faith.. FAITH is the only way to please Him.. again DONT BELIVE ME.. ask HIm.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
@Blade - I'm sorry but I stopped reading your post half way through because you weren't making any sense. This is a Bible Study and everything will be backed up by scripture.

Tomorrow I intend to make an in depth post, so to any lurkers who are interested, please bear with me.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Numbers 12
[1] Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married; for he had married an Ethiopian woman. [2] So they said, “Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has He not spoken through us also?” And the Lord heard it. [3] (Now the man Moses was very humble, more than all men who were on the face of the earth.)

[4] Suddenly the Lord said to Moses, Aaron, and Miriam, “Come out, you three, to the tabernacle of meeting!” So the three came out. [5] Then the Lord came down in the pillar of cloud and stood in the door of the tabernacle, and called Aaron and Miriam. And they both went forward.

[6]
Then He said, “Hear now My words: If there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, make Myself known to him in a vision; I speak to him in a dream. [7] Not so with My servant Moses; He is faithful in all My house. [8] I speak with him face to face, Even plainly, and not in dark sayings; And he sees the form of the Lord. Why then were you not afraid to speak against My servant Moses?”

[9] So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed. [10] And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper. [11] So Aaron said to Moses, “Oh, my lord! Please do not lay this sin on us, in which we have done foolishly and in which we have sinned. [12] Please do not let her be as one dead, whose flesh is half consumed when he comes out of his mother’s womb!”

[13] So Moses cried out to the Lord, saying, “Please heal her, O God, I pray!”

[14] Then the Lord said to Moses, “If her father had but spit in her face, would she not be shamed seven days? Let her be shut out of the camp seven days, and afterward she may be received again. [15] So Miriam was shut out of the camp seven days, and the people did not journey till Miriam was brought in again.

--
COMMENTARY

The chapter opens with a sibling rivalry over a wholly private matter: marriage. The disapproval of the marriage seems to be an entirely feminine complaint; Miriam being the leader of this opposition, but swaying Aaron to her side.

The disapproval from Miriam over Moses marrying the Cushite woman didn't seem to draw God's attention, but rather the Lord took notice when Miriam exalted herself to be equal-to her brother.

“Has the Lord indeed spoken only through Moses? Has He not spoken through us also?” And the Lord heard it.

Following this God calls Miriam and Aaron before his judgment seat and states that He speaks to His prophets in visions and dreams. This is taken by some commentators that Aaron had visions and Miriam had dreams, since she confirms with her own words that the Lord had also spoken to both she and Aaron. But Moses was above that and spoke to God 'face-to-face'.

Why then were you not afraid to speak against My servant Moses?

This incident led Miriam, though not Aaron, to become leprous. God likened it to spitting in her face and shaming her.

Miriam's Faults

• Rebellion Against God's Servant
  • Instigating Rebellion
  • Unafraid to Speak Against God's Servant
  • Pride / Haughty Spirit
  • Envy
  • Presumptuous
  • Self-willed
Compare to:

2 Peter 2:10-11 But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities. [11] Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.

Though no Christian wants to be faced with the prospect that God has spit in their face, we are certainly not above Miriam. The anger of the Lord was even kindled against Moses at the Waters of Meribah [Numbers 20:24] and the Lord thought to destroy Aaron for the Golden Calf [Deuteronomy 9:20].

However, the short duration of Miriam's punishment, attests to God's great mercy and forgiveness, and a promise of healing. However, like any parent, children have to suffer the consequences of their actions otherwise they won't learn.

God will sometimes use health trials as a form of spiritual correction; but just because we are being chastened by the Lord doesn't mean he has neglected mercy and forgiveness.

In self-examination, we should analyze our lives and consider if we have acted or committed any of the same faults as Miriam and strive to overcome those faults of rebellion; pride; envy; and self-will. And in the same manner, reflect on the nature of our disease or illness, and its effects on our daily lives.

Leprosy was the just punishment for her sin. In her haughty exaggeration of the worth of her own prophetic gift, she had placed herself on a par with Moses, the divinely appointed head of the whole nation, and exalted herself above the congregation of the Lord. For this she was afflicted with a disease which shut her out of the number of the members of the people of God, and thus actually excluded from the camp; so that she could only be received back again after she had been healed, and by a formal purification.

- Keil and Delitzsch Biblical Commentary on the Old Testament

Leviticus 14:8 "And he that is to be cleansed shall wash his clothes, and shave off all his hair, and wash himself in water, that he may be clean: and after that he shall come into the camp, and shall tarry abroad out of his tent seven days."

To note: after Miriam was cleansed, she would have had to shave off all her hair which would have been a humiliation.

1 Corinthians 11:13-15 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered? Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

So while she may have been cleansed, there would have been prolonged implications.

As Matthew Henry's Commentary remarks, But if she was thus punished for speaking against Moses, what will become of those who sin against Christ? . . . It is well when rebukes produce confession of sin and repentance. Such offenders, though corrected and disgraced, shall be pardoned

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
2 Samuel 24 / 1 Chronicles 21
2 Samuel 24:1 Again the anger of the LORD burned against Israel, and He stirred up David against them, saying, “Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.”

1 Chronicles 21:1-4 Now Satan stood up against Israel, and moved David to number Israel. [2] So David said to Joab and to the leaders of the people, “Go, number Israel from Beersheba to Dan, and bring the number of them to me that I may know it. [3]
And Joab answered, “May the Lord make His people a hundred times more than they are. But, my lord the king, are they not all my lord’s servants? Why then does my lord require this thing? Why should he be a cause of guilt in Israel?” [4] Nevertheless the king’s word prevailed against Joab. Therefore Joab departed and went throughout all Israel and came to Jerusalem. [5] Then Joab gave the sum of the number of the people to David. All Israel had one million one hundred thousand men who drew the sword, and Judah had four hundred and seventy thousand men who drew the sword. [6] But he did not count Levi and Benjamin among them, for the king’s word was abominable to Joab.

2 Samuel 24:10 After David had numbered the troops, his conscience was stricken

1 Chronicles 21:7 And God was displeased with this thing; therefore He struck Israel. [8] So David said to God, “I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing; but now, I pray, take away the iniquity of Your servant, for I have done very foolishly.” [9] Then the Lord spoke to Gad, David’s seer, saying, [10] “Go and tell David, saying, ‘Thus says the Lord: “I offer you three things; choose one of them for yourself, that I may do it to you.” ’ ”

[11] So Gad came to David and said to him, “Thus says the Lord: ‘Choose for yourself, [12] either three years of famine, or three months to be defeated by your foes with the sword of your enemies overtaking you, or else for three days the sword of the Lord—the plague in the land, with the angel of the Lord destroying throughout all the territory of Israel.’ Now consider what answer I should take back to Him who sent me.”

[13] And David said to Gad, “I am in great distress. Please let me fall into the hand of the Lord, for His mercies are very great; but do not let me fall into the hand of man.”

[14] So the Lord sent a plague upon Israel, and seventy thousand men of Israel fell. [15] And God sent an angel to Jerusalem to destroy it. As he was destroying, the Lord looked and relented of the disaster, and said to the angel who was destroying, “It is enough; now restrain your hand.” And the angel of the Lord stood by the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. [16] Then David lifted his eyes and saw the angel of the Lord standing between earth and heaven, having in his hand a drawn sword stretched out over Jerusalem. So David and the elders, clothed in sackcloth, fell on their faces. [17] And David said to God, “Was it not I who commanded the people to be numbered? I am the one who has sinned and done evil indeed; but these sheep, what have they done? Let Your hand, I pray, O Lord my God, be against me and my father’s house, but not against Your people that they should be plagued.”

[18] Therefore, the angel of the Lord commanded Gad to say to David that David should go and erect an altar to the Lord on the threshing floor of Ornan the Jebusite. [26] And David built there an altar to the Lord, and offered burnt offerings and peace offerings, and called on the Lord; and He answered him from heaven by fire on the altar of burnt offering.
[27] So the Lord commanded the angel, and he returned his sword to its sheath.

--

COMMENTARY:

2 Samuel 24 and 1 Chronicles 21 record the same event, with the latter giving a more detailed account. Chronicles expounds that it was Satan who moved David's heart to take a census of the people, whereas 2 Samuel neglects that detail and reads that there was some fault in the nation of Israel and that God had stirred David up in order to purge Israel.

Both accounts should be accepted at face-value. For we see a similar situation in the following verses:

1 Kings 11:14 And the LORD stirred up an adversary unto Solomon, Hadad the Edomite: he was of the king's seed in Edom.

2 Samuel 21:1 Then there was a famine in the days of David three years, year after year; and David inquired of the LORD. And the LORD answered, It is for Saul, and for his bloody house, because he slew the Gibeonites.

Job 1:9 So Satan answered the Lord and said, “Does Job fear God for nothing? [10] Have You not made a hedge around him, around his household, and around all that he has on every side? You have blessed the work of his hands, and his possessions have increased in the land. [11] But now, stretch out Your hand and touch all that he has, and he will surely curse You to Your face!” [12] And the Lord said to Satan, “Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person.

1 Kings 22:19 Then Micaiah said, “Therefore hear the word of the Lord: I saw the Lord sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by, on His right hand and on His left. [20] And the Lord said, ‘Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?’ So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner. [21] Then a spirit came forward and stood before the Lord, and said, ‘I will persuade him.’ [22] The Lord said to him, ‘In what way?’ So he said, ‘I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.’ And the Lord said, ‘You shall persuade him, and also prevail. Go out and do so.’

[23]
Therefore look! The Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the Lord has declared disaster against you.”

However, as it is written in Amos 3:7 "Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets."

Before David numbered the people Joab warned him that he would bring guilt unto Israel. David was given truth; Joab counseled the king, but David's heart was set on the matter and unfortunately no sound wisdom could dissuade him.

A cause of guilt would indicate a need for atonement, which is confirmed later on when God strikes Israel with a plague. Because Joab--David's number one military commander--and the rulers (or captains) of the people took part in the census, biblical commentators and scholars agree that this was most likely a military census.

The sin of David numbering the people consisted in its being either to gratify his pride to ascertain the number of warriors he could muster for some meditated plan of conquest; or, perhaps, more likely still, to institute a regular and permanent system of taxation, which he deemed necessary to provide an adequate establishment for the monarchy, but which was regarded as a tyrannical and oppressive exaction—an innovation on the liberty of the people—a departure from ancient usage unbecoming a king of Israel.

- Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
https://biblehub.com/commentaries/jfb/1_chronicles/21.htm

Census-taking wasn't forbidden, but God establishes the rules for which: Exodus 30:11 Then the LORD said to Moses, [12] “When you take a census of the Israelites to number them, each man must pay the LORD a ransom for his life when he is counted. Then no plague will come upon them when they are numbered. [13] Everyone who crosses over to those counted must pay a half shekel, according to the sanctuary shekel, which weighs twenty gerahs. This half shekel is an offering to the LORD.

Note: a 1/2 shekel would have been the equivalent of 8 grams of silver, which would be roughly $6-8 in modern times.

The law in Exodus is in regards to men of war. And was done as a reminder that the Lord, Himself, goes before Israel in battle and by His strength their enemies are delivered into their hand.

If a man did not feel his need of “ransom,” and gladly pay the small sum at which the ransom was fixed, he would show himself so proud and presumptuous that he might well provoke a Divine “plague,” or punishment.

- Ellicott's Commentary for English Readers

David's numbering of the people, though sinful, might have been atoned for had he taken a ransom from all men, according to the law. However, we must call the motivation for the census into question when even Joab, the military commander, found it abominable. And Joab wasn't exactly the purest of people in David's circle.

Without facing external threats, what reason is there to count the military?

David's Faults
  • Pride
  • Vanity / Vainglory
  • Belligerence
  • Intimidation
  • Usurpation
  • Robbery
  • Presumptuousness
  • Faithlessness
  • Being Self-Willed
Pride will surely be a recurring sin in this study. But analyzing David's pride, it was in regards to how much might he could muster. Bring the number of them to me that I may know it. David had no practical use for this information.

Mary from Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, opines: “Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us.”

Surely this number wouldn't have been kept quietly, but would have been used as a tool for boasting against other nations. Such knowledge and the use of that knowledge is a display of belligerence: the idea being, I have a mighty army so don't cross me. It would be used as a tool of intimidation. But as Christ said Blessed are the peacekeepers. Such war-like behavior is not in line with Christian values.

And Joab answered, “May the Lord make His people a hundred times more than they are."

Joab understood that the children of Israel belonged to God. It was not David's right to count them. He overstepped boundaries and usurped God's position. Once again, this is a sin of pride for exalting himself above the Lord, when he--as well as all of us--are servants. And would even be robbery: to take for himself, that which is the Lord's.

2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.”

In counting the army, David also misplaced his trust. Instead of relying on God to deliver Israel out of the hands of their enemies, David put his trust in numbers and in men, and--more than that--trusted in himself, being the king and commander-in-chief of the army.

Jeremiah 17:5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusts in man, and makes flesh his arm, and whose heart departs from the LORD.

David had become self-willed, fulfilling his own will; his own wants, over the will of God.

Upon hearing the number, David's conscience struck him and he confessed his sin; however not without atonement. And God offered him three things: three years of famine; three months of war; or three days of plague.

Please let me fall into the hand of the Lord, for His mercies are very great; but do not let me fall into the hand of man.

The plague struck Israel and 70,000 men fell. David acknowledged his sin, but these sheep, what have they done? Though David sinned grievously, the guilt was upon Israel. After three days, David witnessed the Destroying Angel in Jerusalem; purchases the threshing-floor of Ornan; builds and altar and makes a burnt offering.

Our own actions can directly and indirectly cause other people harm through natural cause and effect. Our own illnesses may not be because of a particular sin which we, ourselves, have committed, but sins that leaders or others have committed. In modern day, our leaders have performed nuclear bomb tests; manufacturing plants have carelessly disposed of toxic chemical waste, known as the Love Canal Disaster; there was the Chernobyl Disaster; Seveso Disaster; and the list goes on.

John 9:1-3 "Now as Jesus was passing by, He saw a man blind from birth, [2] and His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” [3] Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but this happened so that the works of God would be displayed in him.

While we may never understand fully the deaths of the 70,000, we can conclude one thing: that everything works out according to the will of God for His glory. Because the threshing-floor of Ornan the Jebusite would become the future site of the Temple which Solomon would build.

In overcoming, let us ever be mindful that our actions are not a cause of harm to others. That we do not behave prideful or faithlessly as David had. That we do not exalt ourselves above God; rob God of what is His. And that we accept that our trial of illness may also be for the furthering of the glory of God. For it is better that we fall into the hand of the Lord, for His mercies are very great.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Only a Short Post Today :(

2 Chronicles 7:14-15 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place.

God Will Hear Us If We:
  • Humble Ourselves
  • Pray
  • Seek His Face
  • Turn From Our Wicked Ways

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
2 Kings 20:1-11

[1] In those days was Hezekiah sick unto death. And the prophet Isaiah the son of Amoz came to him, and said unto him, Thus saith the LORD, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live. [2] Then he turned his face to the wall, and prayed unto the LORD, saying, [3] I beseech thee, O LORD, remember now how I have walked before thee in truth and with a perfect heart, and have done that which is good in thy sight. And Hezekiah wept sore. [4] And it came to pass, afore Isaiah was gone out into the middle court, that the word of the LORD came to him, saying, [5] Turn again, and tell Hezekiah the captain of my people, Thus saith the LORD, the God of David thy father, I have heard thy prayer, I have seen thy tears: behold, I will heal thee: on the third day thou shalt go up unto the house of the LORD. [6] And I will add unto thy days fifteen years; and I will deliver thee and this city out of the hand of the king of Assyria; and I will defend this city for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake. [7] And Isaiah said, Take a lump of figs. And they took and laid it on the boil, and he recovered.

[8] And Hezekiah said unto Isaiah, What shall be the sign that the LORD will heal me, and that I shall go up into the house of the LORD the third day? [9] And Isaiah said, This sign shalt thou have of the LORD, that the LORD will do the thing that he hath spoken: shall the shadow go forward ten degrees, or go back ten degrees? [10] And Hezekiah answered, It is a light thing for the shadow to go down ten degrees: nay, but let the shadow return backward ten degrees. [11] And Isaiah the prophet cried unto the LORD: and he brought the shadow ten degrees backward, by which it had gone down in the dial of Ahaz.

Isaiah 38:1-20

In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death. And Isaiah the prophet, the son of Amoz, went to him and said to him, “Thus says the Lord: ‘Set your house in order, for you shall die and not live.’ ” [2] Then Hezekiah turned his face toward the wall, and prayed to the Lord, [3] and said, “Remember now, O Lord, I pray, how I have walked before You in truth and with a loyal heart, and have done what is good in Your sight.” And Hezekiah wept bitterly.

[4] And the word of the Lord came to Isaiah, saying, [5] “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will add to your days fifteen years. [6] I will deliver you and this city from the hand of the king of Assyria, and I will defend this city.” ’ [7] And this is the sign to you from the Lord, that the Lord will do this thing which He has spoken: [8] Behold, I will bring the shadow on the sundial, which has gone down with the sun on the sundial of Ahaz, ten degrees backward.” So the sun returned ten degrees on the dial by which it had gone down.

[9] This is the writing of Hezekiah king of Judah, when he had been sick and had recovered from his sickness: [10] I said, “In the prime of my life I shall go to the gates of Sheol; I am deprived of the remainder of my years.” [11] I said, “I shall not see Yah, The Lord in the land of the living; I shall observe man no more among the inhabitants of the world. [12] My life span is gone, taken from me like a shepherd’s tent; I have cut off my life like a weaver. He cuts me off from the loom; from day until night You make an end of me. [13] I have considered until morning—like a lion, so He breaks all my bones; from day until night You make an end of me. [14] Like a crane or a swallow, so I chattered; I mourned like a dove; My eyes fail from looking upward. O Lord, I am oppressed; undertake for me!

[15] “What shall I say? He has both spoken to me, and He Himself has done it. I shall walk carefully all my years in the bitterness of my soul. [16] O Lord, by these things men live; and in all these things is the life of my spirit; so You will restore me and make me live. [17] Indeed it was for my own peace that I had great bitterness; but You have lovingly delivered my soul from the pit of corruption, for You have cast all my sins behind Your back. [18] For Sheol cannot thank You, Death cannot praise You; those who go down to the pit cannot hope for Your truth. [19] The living, the living man, he shall praise You, as I do this day; the father shall make known Your truth to the children.

[20] The Lord was ready to save me; therefore we will sing my songs with stringed instruments all the days of our life, in the house of the Lord.”

2 Chronicles 32:24-26

[24] In those days Hezekiah was sick and near death, and he prayed to the Lord; and He spoke to him and gave him a sign. [25] But Hezekiah did not repay according to the favor shown him, for his heart was lifted up; therefore wrath was looming over him and over Judah and Jerusalem. [26] Then Hezekiah humbled himself for the pride of his heart, he and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, so that the wrath of the Lord did not come upon them in the days of Hezekiah.

Commentary

When Hezekiah had fallen terminally ill, God through Isaiah the prophet informed him of his pending death. Hezekiah would have been approximately 39 years old. He was indeed, in the prime of his life, but presently had no heir, and Israel was at odds with the Assyrians. It was a tumultuous time.

Hezekiah identifies himself as having walked in truth, without wavering or hypocrisy, and with a perfect or loyal heart. [2 Kings 18:5-6] describes him as such: He trusted in the LORD God of Israel, so that after him was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor who were before him. For he clave to the LORD, and departed not from following him, but kept his commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses.

Hezekiah turned to the wall, in humility and submissiveness--a stark contrast to Ahab in [1 Kings 21:4 For he clave to the LORD, and departed not from following him, but kept his commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses.]

Hezekiah opens his prayer with 'Remember'. Hezekiah evidently felt that the illness and premature death was without a cause, and he plead a case before the Lord asking him to remember the good and pleasing things which he had done in the Lord's sight. Yet, he does not deny sin; in Isaiah he acknowledges that God had cast his sins behind His back.

Hezekiah's Merit

• He walked in truth
  • He walked without hypocrisy
  • He walked unwavering
  • His had a loyal heart
  • He did what was good and right in the eyes of God
  • He trusted in God
  • He clave to God
  • He did not depart from following God
  • He kept the commandments
  • He kept the Mosiac Law
  • Offered praise
For these things, God was agreeable to restore Hezekiah's health. However, the healing was not instantaneously but according to the time herbal remedies would take to produce effects, which happened to be three days.

God promises that He will heal us, but healing may not be instant: it could take three days, three months, maybe three years or longer. Sometimes God allows His medicines which he has created, such as herbal remedies but this author doesn't exclude pharmaceuticals, to do His work, but that may require patience and waiting.

After Hezekiah's healing, Chronicles records that Hezekiah did not repay according to the favor shown to him; that he had become proud and his heart was lifted up. This negative attitude began to stir the wrath of God, however, Hezekiah, rightly humbled himself and turned away wrath.

Hezekiah's Fault
  • Did not repay according to the favor shown
  • Was proud and his heart lifted up

Questions to Ask Oneself

• Am I walking in truth?
  • Am I honest about who I am in Christ?
  • Can I acknowledge and confess my sins?
  • Am I a hypocrite?
  • Am I judgmental of others, while doing the same thing?
  • Do I waver?
  • Do I doubt?
  • Am I 'lukewarm' (according to Revelations); wishy-washy; easily peer-pressured
  • Am I loyal to God?
  • Is God first?
  • Do I obey Him before authorities, ministers, family and friends?
  • Am I doing what is good and right in His sight?
  • Am I trusting in God to heal me? To be my help and refuge even in times of peace?
  • Am I cleaving to God and to His word?
  • Have I departed from God by becoming friends with the World?
  • Do I enjoy worldly things?
  • Have I put material and worldly things before God?
  • Do I keep His commandments
  • Am I keep the Mosiac Law, such as the Ten Commandments?
  • Have I offered Him praise?
  • Do I offer Him the sacrifice of Thanksgiving?
  • Am I praising Him and thanking Him even before I am healed? Or am I withholding praise and thanks until I am healed?
  • Am I sullen and angry like Ahab?
  • Do I go about in a 'woe was me' attitude?
  • Do I engage in pity parties?
  • Am I humble?
  • Am I submissive?
  • Have I repaid God according to the favor He has shown me?
  • If not, how can I start to repay Him for His favor?
  • Have I become proud?
  • Have I become lifted-up in my heart?

Upvote 0