Faith and Film

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Filmmaking is a passion for me, so I'm excited about this. It's not something I thought the LCMS would ever do, so I'm not only looking forward to the festival, but curious to learn how it came about.

Faith and Film Festival - Concordia Seminary

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟393,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
That's interesting! I agree - this is a bit surprising coming from the LCMS - but I'm familiar with Rev. Ted Giese and I've heard his commentary on films, so I can see how it's possible to do this without abusing Scriptures. Could be good.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's interesting! I agree - this is a bit surprising coming from the LCMS - but I'm familiar with Rev. Ted Giese and I've heard his commentary on films, so I can see how it's possible to do this without abusing Scriptures. Could be good.

Is there a resource I could check on Pastor Giese's commentary?

Upvote 0

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟393,838.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Is there a resource I could check on Pastor Giese's commentary?

Well, he’s a regular guest on the podcast Issues Etc. where he discusses films and tv series. You can find his segments by searching his name on the podcast’s website:
Search Results Ted Giese

You can also find his reviews online on his ministry page: Lutheran Movie Review Index

You can probably even drop him an email or message him on Twitter if you have specific questions. I’m sure he’d be happy to help out!

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, he’s a regular guest on the podcast Issues Etc. where he discusses films and tv series. You can find his segments by searching his name on the podcast’s website:
Search Results Ted Giese

You can also find his reviews online on his ministry page: Lutheran Movie Review Index

You can probably even drop him an email or message him on Twitter if you have specific questions. I’m sure he’d be happy to help out!

Thanks!

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟101,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Reporting in on the festival. I really enjoyed it. I didn't know what to expect - especially given some of the films on the list. My reaction was: Really? They're going to discuss Logan, There Will Be Blood, etc. at an LCMS festival?

But it was handled very well. This festival was not about gaining exposure for your film or making industry connections. It was about walking those fine lines. How do we discuss contemporary film within and without the church? How do we open a dialogue on sensitive subjects - engaging people without condoning the content? There was some excellent discussion.

Apparently there is going to be some kind of film competition for the 2022 festival, so I'm curious to know what that will be all about, but I enjoyed the 2021 festival.

Reactions: Daniel9v9
Upvote 0