Faith Alone

Do you believe that faith alone justifies?

• Yes

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Could someone explain what "Faith alone" means?
Maybe even give an example?

Right, what does a "Faith alone" type life look like?
Is their life shown to be by faith alone or is there works of faith proving their faith? James says show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works (James 2:18).

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Could someone explain what "Faith alone" means?
Maybe even give an example?
Faith alone is the means by which we trust and rest in Christ alone as the grounds and basis of our justification before God APART FROM ANY WORKS IN US WHATSOEVER. Those who do not believe this, believe their works of obedience plays a role as the grounds of their justification before God. Paul condemns the latter in Galatians.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Those who do not believe this, believe their works of obedience plays a role as the grounds of their justification before God. Paul condemns the latter in Galatians.

You mean like James 2:24, 1 John 1:7, and Hebrews 5:9?

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Right, what does a "Faith alone" type life look like?
Is their life shown to be by faith alone or is there works of faith proving their faith? James says show me your faith without works, and I will show you my faith by my works (James 2:18).
Faithfulness is the fruit of true faith. Our works of faithfulness adds nothing towards our justification before God. The self righteous think otherwise and in doing so cannot trust in Christ alone as the only sufficient grounds for justification before God

• Useful
Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Faith alone is the means by which we trust and rest in Christ alone as the grounds and basis of our justification before God APART FROM ANY WORKS IN US WHATSOEVER. Those who do not believe this, believe their works of obedience plays a role as the grounds of their justification before God. Paul condemns the latter in Galatians.

Trust and rest in Christ for what?

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Trust and rest in Christ for what?
One trust in Christ for salvation. For salvation is in no other but Christ alone. One rest in Christ to be forgiven of sin and delivered from its guilt. The blood of Christ alone brings forgiveness. One who seeks deliverance from sin and desires righteousness cast himself upon Christ as the only grounds for justification before God. As the obedience and righteousness of Christ alone is the sole grounds for justification. And this new resurrected life comes by Gods grace alone. Ephesians 2:5-6. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) And has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
One trust in Christ for salvation. For salvation is in no other but Christ alone. One rest in Christ to be forgiven of sin and delivered from its guilt. The blood of Christ alone brings forgiveness. One who seeks deliverance from sin and desires righteousness cast himself upon Christ as the only grounds for justification before God. As the obedience and righteousness of Christ alone is the sole grounds for justification. And this new resurrected life comes by Gods grace alone. Ephesians 2:5-6. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved) And has raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:

So being very specific, in your understanding of Faith, you are expecting something in return for your trust and reliance upon Christ?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your works... will never merit Gods favor

I am not talking about my works. I am talking about the works of the Lord done through me as a part of the Sanctification process.

See 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your works Jason will never merit Gods favor

I don't believe in Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism (without God's grace) as per Ephesians 2:8-9. I don't believe in boasting in a Man Directed work that I do as per Ephesians 2:9.

I believe in boasting in entirely different kind of work. A God directed work. I believe in boasting in the work of God that is done through us. This work of God done through us is mentioned in Ephesians 2:10. For they are the kind of works that believers are created unto Christ Jesus to do. No boasting in oneself but in the good ways of the Lord. All praise, glory, honor, and power goes unto the Lord. It's why the 24 elders cast their crowns down before Jesus. For it was the Lord that worked in them (under their cooperation in surrendering to the Lord of their own free will of course).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your works Jason will never merit Gods favor

Also, if what you say is true, then how do these following verses work in your Soteriology?

James 2:24, 1 John 1:7, and Hebrews 5:9.

Can you give me a word for word commentary on them?
Does your explanation appear to go outside what these verses say plainly?

Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
So being very specific, in your understanding of Faith, you are expecting something in return for your trust and reliance upon Christ?
No, faith lays hold upon Christ for mercy and forgiveness. Mercy is what moves one to forsake sin and self by trusting Christ as Savior. I don’t expect Gods mercy in return. God saves out of sheer mercy on the basis of Christ’s merits alone. No sinner deserves Gods mercy. The “law” keepers look at faith as a meritorious work and expect in return Gods grace for their supposedly good works

• Useful
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, faith lays hold upon Christ for mercy and forgiveness. Mercy is what moves one to forsake sin and self by trusting Christ as Savior. I don’t expect Gods mercy in return. God saves out of sheer mercy on the basis of Christ’s merits alone. No sinner deserves Gods mercy. The “law” keepers look at faith as a meritorious work and expect in return Gods grace for their supposedly good works

What is the flip side of doing good works? Evil works, right?
Does this mean one can be saved by God's grace + doing evil works?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe in Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism (without God's grace) as per Ephesians 2:8-9. I don't believe in boasting in a Man Directed work that I do as per Ephesians 2:9.

I believe in boasting in entirely different kind of work. A God directed work. I believe in boasting in the work of God that is done through us. This work of God done through us is mentioned in Ephesians 2:10. For they are the kind of works that believers are created unto Christ Jesus to do. No boasting in oneself but in the good ways of the Lord. All praise, glory, honor, and power goes unto the Lord. It's why the 24 elders cast their crowns down before Jesus. For it was the Lord that worked in them (under their cooperation in surrendering to the Lord of their own free will of course).
Never do you boast in Christ’s works of obedience as justification alone before God. It’s always about mans works of obedience. This is the object of your faith. Your works!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,191,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Never do you boast in Christ’s works of obedience as justification alone before God. It’s always about mans works of obedience. This is the object of your faith. Your works!

Sorry, that is not what I believe.

I believe after we are saved by God's grace through faith (Justification), I believe God does the good work through the believer (Sanctification). Both Justification and Sanctification saves. God's grace through faith is Justification. God directed works done through a believer is Sanctification. I do not believe in Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism or that man can save himself apart from the working of God. Salvation is all in the Lord and His work alone.

• Useful
Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
What is the flip side of doing good works? Evil works, right?
Does this mean one can be saved by God's grace + doing evil works?
Ephesians 2:10. Your question makes no sense. There’s no salvation then according to your equation

• Useful
Upvote 0

MDC

Jan 19, 2017
Texas
✟59,701.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, that is not what I believe.

I believe after we are saved by God's grace through faith (Justification), I believe God does the good work through the believer (Sanctification). Both Justification and Sanctification saves. God's grace through faith is Justification. God directed works done through a believer is Sanctification. I do not believe in Man Directed Works Alone Salvationism or that man can save himself apart from the working of God. Salvation is all in the Lord and His work alone.
Jason your understanding of sanctification is that of popery. Sanctification is a means to ones justification. This is why you insist that one can lose eternal life in Christ

• Agree
Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Ya not interested in the law keepers. I'm interested in your understanding.

Could you tell me specifically how you understand saving Faith to be applied or fulfilled?

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I take issue with the premise behind the question, so I cannot give an answer according to the wording of the question and the wording of the OP.

I will say one thing:

When St Paul uses the term "faith", he is using that as short-hand for "faith in Christ", and in the context of his epistles, that refers to "being in Christ" as opposed to "being in Moses" or "being in the Torah", so to speak. So yes, being in Christ justifies us, not being in something else. I cannot attempt to come to God by the ritual observance of the Torah and expect to be justified. I must be in Christ, and no other.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0