Faith Alone

Do you believe that faith alone justifies?

• Yes

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Faith does = works as the are two side of the same coin.
If they are two sides, as you say, they are not equal to each other. But I don't accept that analogy as correct anyway.

More to the point, it's silly to argue that Faith and Works are the same thing, so I'm out of this debate.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I clearly explained in my post, one must define the object of faith in order to make Justifying faith quite clear.
Yes, but the term Faith Alone (which is where we began, not "What can the word Faith mean?")
has meaning only within the context of Christian theology or the Protestant Reformation specifically.

It doesn't leave the door open for speculating on every other possible use of the word faith and certainly not non-Christian or non-religious ones.

To refer to the Protestant principle called Sola Fide or Faith Alone necessarily is to refer to Faith in Christ.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you believe that faith alone justifies an individual as righteous in the sight of God?

*by justification, I mean a legal declaration.

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law." - Romans 3:28
I believe faith is God's gift that follows on the heels of His saving grace (mercy).
That said, I believe "faith alone" is an intellectual construct, not an ontological fact. Faith is never alone.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I understand that some of you thought the wording was poor, I agree. Before I created this thread, I thought that I should have made it clear that Christ is the object of our faith and that only he justifies, but I figure that this is already implied (as it is when it is worded this way) and there was no need to write that out.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe faith is God's gift that follows on the heels of His saving grace (mercy).
That said, I believe "faith alone" is an intellectual construct, not an ontological fact. Faith is never alone.

What is faith?

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If they are two sides, as you say, they are not equal to each other. But I don't accept that analogy as correct anyway.

More to the point, it's silly to argue that Faith and Works are the same thing, so I'm out of this debate.
Suit yourself...a quarter is a quarter no matter which side of the coin you flip.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that faith alone justifies an individual as righteous in the sight of God?

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law." - Romans 3:28

The only time the Bible uses the word "faith alone" it is in reference to how you cannot have faith alone.

For the Bible says,

"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone" (James 2:24) (ESV).

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2:24) (KJV).

But folks like to come up with clever work around explanations on this verse because they do not like what James 2:24 says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexDTX

Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

As I understand it, faith and works are 2 sides of the same coin. If we believe what God says, we act on what God says. If we say we believe but do not act, then our faith is not heart faith, but merely mental assent. We know people by what they do, not just what they say.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The only time the Bible uses the word "faith alone" it is in reference to how you cannot have faith alone.
The Bible says,

"You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone" (James 2:24) (ESV).

"Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only" (James 2:24) (KJV).

James states the faith that isn't follow by works is dead, that's another way of saying that that faith isn't present in that person.

"But someone will say, 'You have faith and I have works.' Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." - James 2:18

Here, James is saying that evidence of faith is found in works. Show me a faith that doesn't produce works? You can't. So, I am justified by works in this way. Do you understand?

Works justify my profession, but faith alone saves.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the term Faith Alone (which is where we began, not "What can the word Faith mean?")
has meaning only within the context of Christian theology or the Protestant Reformation specifically.

It doesn't leave the door open for speculating on every other possible use of the word faith and certainly not non-Christian or non-religious ones.

To refer to the Protestant principle called Sola Fide or Faith Alone necessarily is to refer to Faith in Christ.
Really? So the legal term "In good faith" when entering into an agreement or contract has to necessarily mean faith in Christ?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Really? So the legal term "In good faith" when entering into an agreement or contract has to necessarily mean faith in Christ?
Perhaps you should go back and read the preceding posts again. The term that we have been talking about and which I was referring to was "FAITH ALONE," not "IN GOOD FAITH."

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Who is claiming that it is a quote from the Bible?

It isn't.

It is a term that was introduced into Christian history in order to describe what the Bible teaches about Faith and Salvation, just as the church used the term "Trinity" to describe the nature of God as it has been revealed in Holy Scripture although the word "Trinity" itself is not used in the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you should go back and read the preceding posts again. The term that we have been talking about and which I was referring to was "FAITH ALONE," not "IN GOOD FAITH."
The point I'm making is not about the meaning of faith, but that faith has to have an object otherwise the term 'faith' is just a meaningless word. All I was pointing out is that justifying faith has to have the correct object because one can have faith in many things. If the OP had said, "Faith in Christ alone", that would have made absolute sense.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The point I'm making is not about the meaning of faith, but that faith has to have an object otherwise the term 'faith' is just a meaningless word.

The term that was used here and which is part of the title of the thread and also the poll...was Faith Alone, however, not Faith something else or just the word Faith by itself.

The meaning, therefore, was never in doubt.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Marty and Frank discuss the issues.

Did anyone notice the trickery in that video? The type trickery one might see the world use. "Faith alone" has a terrible habit of, and seems to need that in order to justify their view.. That fact speaks volumes to me and happens around here all too often.

Upvote 0