Faith Alone

Do you believe that faith alone justifies?

• Yes

Votes: 25 65.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 34.2%

• Total voters

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you believe that faith alone justifies an individual as righteous in the sight of God?

*by justification, I mean a legal declaration.

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law." - Romans 3:28

anna ~ grace

Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have asked one poster if he believed that Christians who did not hold to Sola Fidé were still Christians. He refused to reply.

It was a kind of weird, silent judgement. I have read threads inferring that belief in faith alone for salvation is what makes one a Christian.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have asked one poster if he believed that Christians who did not hold to Sola Fidé were still Christians. He refused to reply.

It was a kind of weird, silent judgement. I have read threads inferring that belief in faith alone for salvation is what makes one a Christian.

In Protestant Christianity, as some may call it, many of us do believe that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe that faith alone justifies an individual as righteous in the sight of God?
I recognize how Protestants usually understand the expression "justification by faith alone". For that reason, I had to answer No in the poll.

The interesting thing is that there are conditions under which a Catholic could say yes. However, it would depend entirely on how the key words are defined.

Pope Benedict XVI said "Luther's phrase: 'faith alone' is true, if it is not opposed to faith in charity, in love. Faith is looking at Christ, entrusting oneself to Christ, being united to Christ, conformed to Christ, to his life. And the form, the life of Christ, is love; hence to believe is to conform to Christ and to enter into his love. So it is that in the Letter to the Galatians in which he primarily developed his teaching on justification St Paul speaks of faith that works through love."

But then, that's not commonly the Protestant view of the matter, hence my Church's reluctance to affirm a belief in so-called sola fide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from works of the law." - Romans 3:28
Problem is you have to reconcile Rom 3:28 with James 2:24 where it states that one is justified by works and not by faith alone. The difference is works of the law is not the same thing as doing good works that believers are created to do (Eph 2:10). Works of the OT law never justify but good works done as a result of being saved demonstrate that we are genuinely saved. Good works and faith go hand-in-hand.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Problem is you have to reconcile Rom 3:28 with James 2:24 where it states that one is justified by works and not by faith alone. The difference is works of the law is not the same thing as doing good works that believers are created to do (Eph 2:10). Works of the OT law never justify but good works done as a result of being saved demonstrate that we are genuinely saved. Good works and faith go hand-in-hand.

James clearly states that faith that does not display works is a faith that cannot save. However, it is still faith alone that saves, because there is no faith that does not work (faith without works is dead).

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Problem is you have to reconcile Rom 3:28 with James 2:24 where it states that one is justified by works and not by faith alone.
It’s clear from the opening statement James discusses the characteristics of saving faith:

James 2:
14What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

The difference is works of the law is not the same thing as doing good works that believers are created to do (Eph 2:10). Works of the OT law never justify but good works done as a result of being saved demonstrate that we are genuinely saved. Good works and faith go hand-in-hand.

Yet the works themselves we cannot boast of. Ephesians 2:10 makes it clear we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works. So even these works are not salvific but the attributes of God’s workmanship.

And if there is any question on what Paul taught on Justification, he clearly states the conclusion here:

Romans 5:

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we havea peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

3Not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lambofgod43985889

of christian forum
Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
temuco
✟155,137.00
Country
Chile
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
protestants think only by faith with works as a natural consequence
catholics say faith and sacraments and more works, the more better, they don't say living faith and works are in the same packet

this is what i understand

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
James clearly states that faith that does not display works is a faith that cannot save. However, it is still faith alone that saves, because there is no faith that does not work (faith without works is dead).
I think you are making a circular argument. Faith alone does not save. Cognitive faith alone does not save.

Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It’s clear from the opening statement James discusses the characteristics of saving faith:

James 2:
14What good is it, my brothers, if someone claims to have faith, but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?

Yet the works themselves we cannot boast of. Ephesians 2:10 makes it clear we are God’s workmanship created in Christ Jesus for good works. So even these works are not salvific but the attributes of God’s workmanship.

And if there is any question on what Paul taught on Justification, he clearly states the conclusion here:

Romans 5:

1Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we havea peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

3Not only that, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.
Don't see anything I would disagree with.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟314,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My perspective from my own experience and the experiences of others I know who are reborn of the Spirit and also as scripture says.. Works is the fruit of salvation by Grace through faith ( which is what James is speaking about). There is no works that alone can save you, you can not work your way to heaven, for it is by faith the grace of God kicks in and by salvation ( justification) you will desire to work for the Lord. Who comes to saving faith, the grace of the Lord enters, thus the Holy Spirit is upon them and then doesn't want the whole world to know about Jesus Christ ? When one is truly born again it's like a huge weight was lifted from you, not a burden put on you, you literally are changed from the inside out and want to yell Jesus Is The Way The Truth And The Life from the roof tops for everyone to hear ( the fruit/works is you will spread His name). You are changed from who you were to someone who is not embarrassed to speak His name boldly where ever it needs to be spoken boldly. You will be gifted with something from the Lord, count on it and use it for His glory not yours.

I could go on and on about this way or that way, church systems and their doings and undoings. But saving faith and the grace of God comes to you when you believe and announce to Jesus Christ that you need Him and invite Him in. You need to make that personal contact and then you will be changed forever. And there is no wondering about it, you absolutely know you have been changed. You can't miss it, you can't deny it, you can't mistake what it is. Your interests, over time change, people and things you do are removed from your life and new ones come. Your desires change. Then you continue to grow in sanctification....

This change you take with you and walk into the world but set apart from the world system, into any Christian religious system with it and the Spirit will show you the truths and the untruths. You can walk anywhere and be among them but your home is in heaven. And you know this. Religious pride is out the window, Jesus doesn't care who thinks they have the best church. I came to Christ upstairs in my bedroom of this house I still live in now 40 years ago this very summer after 29 years of religion and my life was changed right then and there and it's still changing. Jesus Christ is my King, my Lord, My Savior, not a church system. And in my personal experience works is the fruit of the Spirit sent forth from within the changed man out to the world.. Now I know that blows some religious peoples concepts of how works works, sorry about that. You can if not careful "works" your way straight to hell. You need the saving faith of Jesus Christ, the very person of Jesus Christ, not a canned interpretation of Him. He needs to be in your heart, the works will come after and not before... Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I believe Jesus alone justifies, is this a trick question? Faith is how He Justifies us.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Problem is you have to reconcile Rom 3:28 with James 2:24 where it states that one is justified by works and not by faith alone.

And that is easily done.

Proponents of works righteousness almost always turn to James for their debunking of Sola Fide, which is interesting since advocates of Justification by Faith have all sorts of Bible verses to use in support of their POV.

But as for James, he of course is saying that claims about Faith are not capable of saving anyone. That's in contrast to having genuine Faith. And he goes on to explain that in the rest of his Epistle.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I gave the poll the benefit of a doubt and voted yes. The actual expressionis justification by grace through faith, actually all Christians believe that. You throw in the word alone and a Catholic will throw up their hands and walk out.

Justification means made righteous, it doesn't mean God just signs a spiritual waiver. Abraham believed God and it was credited (imputed) to him for righteousness. Imputed is actually a book keepers term, it's like when money is credited to your account. Where do you get the righteousness of God in Christ? It has to be from God himself, which includes a relationship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I gave the poll the benefit of a doubt and voted yes. The actual expressionis justification by grace through faith, actually all Christians believe that.
If all Christians believed that, they would believe that salvation does not additionally depend upon the performance of meritorious acts. Obviously they do not.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Oldmantook

Jan 10, 2017
USA
✟99,173.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And that is easily done.

Proponents of works righteousness almost always turn to James for their debunking of Sola Fide, which is interesting since advocates of Justification by Faith have all sorts of Bible verses to use in support of their POV.

But as for James, he of course is saying that claims about Faith are not capable of saving anyone. That's in contrast to having genuine Faith. And he goes on to explain that in the rest of his Epistle.
James' works righteousness? James is certainly not alone if that's what you're implying. Sola Fide is baloney because cognitive faith does not save anyone.
How about Paul's works righteousness?
First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds.
Acts 26:20

Paul himself described the gospel message that he preached as one of repentance demonstrated by works. Moreover, Paul does not link works/deeds with "rewards" but instead with the preaching of his message of what salvation requires - turning to God, repentance and deeds.
How about Jesus' works righteousness?
”For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad,” 2 Cor 5:10
“Behold, I am coming quickly, and My reward is with Me, to render to every man according to what he has done,” Revelation 22:12

Faith is the root of salvation; works are the fruit or salvation? Do you agree or do cling to faith alone?

Upvote 0