What Does the Bible Say About Fairies? Are They Mentioned?

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I know some might think this is laughable, but I like to talk about the idea of fairies being real. Irish Catholics and Christians believe that during the war in heaven there were some neutral angels to afraid to fight for God or Lucifer, they wanted to see how the battle would go before they chose sides. GOd punished them by sending them to Earth but not to Hell. Many of them took jobs looking after nature, they controlled the changing of the seasons and took care of trees, plants, flowers, fruit, animals, bodies of water, wind, rain, insects, birds, soil, rocks, precious stones and minerals, fire, etc. Another story is that fairies came from the coupling of angels and human women, fallen angels and human women, as it says in Genesis, the descendents of the Nephilim. What if God had approved of the love and marriage between angels and human beings? Could the resulting children be a human-sized fairy? Not all fairies are tiny, there are many different types of fairies, some are the same size as people or even bigger, nearly all have supernatural magic powers. Some are evil, some good. Not all have wings, there are a lot of wingless fairies. There are many different races of fey. Some can be beautiful and glowing, with butterfly, firefly or dragonfly wings, others are ugly and mishappen like goblins and the neckler, a water monster that likes to drown people. The pooka is a fairy horse that takes the form of a donkey or satyr and takes human travelers on a wild scary night ride.

James M. Barrie who wrote Peter Pan said that a baby's laugh creates fairies.

The fairies could be related to angels, the powers of the air, that the Bible mentions. As such, they could be evil like demons and fallen angels. I have always liked fairies and see them as good. I think they are like earth angels.

(I'm not talking about gays, I'm talking about the magical beings of folklore and legend.)

The Nephilim could have given birth to all sorts of magical, mythological legendary creatures found in mythology. Perhaps in Noah's flood God wanted to destroy the half human half animals creatures, because the evil people in Noah's day committed inappropriate behavior with animals. Centaurs, satyrs, harpies, the sphinx, they all could have existed. And I imagine God would find it hard to get rid of the mermaids and mermen, since they live in the ocean. Perhaps Jonah preached to the mer-people about Yahweh when he was in the belly of the big fish.

In Ireland it is believed that fairies live underground in fairy hills or mounds called "sidhs" The fairy race is also called Sidh, (she) or the Tuatha de Danaan, People of the goddess Dana. DUring the story of the discovery or settling of Ireland, the Tuatha de Danaan arrived in ancient Ireland from a flying ship that landed from the sky. (aliens, extraterrestrials?) Inside these hollow hills called sidhs, there are underground paradise, palaces with gardens, fine furnishings, treasures of gold and jewels, plenty of delicious food and alcoholic drink, fine clothing, entertaining musicians, bards storytellers and dancing, where the fairy sidh party all day long.

Sometimes humans are kidnapped by fairies and kept in the sidhs, sometimes they escape and it seems they had been with the fairies only a few days, but in reality several years or even centuries have passed.

SOme Christians in the British Isles where these fairies supposedly live say the fairies are demons and the fairy hills are entrances to hell, fun for the fairies to party while torturing the prisoners and souls in hell, but not fun for the ones being tortured. THe demon spirits take delight in hurting and tricking human souls.

*Shivers.* THat's a lot different from the cute pretty fairies in children's books and from Disney's Tinkerbell fairies. I wonder which version is true, the pretty feminine figures with butterfly wings and flowers, or the wicked demonic shadowy spirits seek to deceive and drag souls down to hell?

• Agree
Reactions: FloralDance

fat_boy

Aug 7, 2010
✟7,706.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
SOme Christians in the British Isles where these fairies supposedly live say the fairies are demons and the fairy hills are entrances to hell, fun for the fairies to party while torturing the prisoners and souls in hell, but not fun for the ones being tortured. THe demon spirits take delight in hurting and tricking human souls.
Speaking of Britain, theres a place called the Isle of Man, which is a horrid little island between England and Eire. On that island they have a Fairy bridge, which residents drive over, whilst driving, it is not unusual for a lot of the residents to wave to the fairies. Be it out of superstition or traidition, I'm not sure, but thats a little creepy.

The idea of coupling of angels and humans gave rise to the Nephilim, which have been asigned the role of everything from werewolves to Aliens (read David Icke) to Goliath. The book commonly associated with that is the Gnostic text "The book of Enoch / Giants", so whatever is left of it, might be worth looking at.

As a rule of thumb though, i dont ever remember reading about a good supernatural spirit in the Bible, aside from the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

PixieSunbelle

formerly xladyfayre
Jan 2, 2007
in some fairy forest
✟16,167.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe that anything is possible. Just because it isn't written in the Bible doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I never saw America written in the Bible and it exists. Maybe we just can't see them. Maybe some of them are Angels sent to earth and others just call them fairies. Perhaps some are evil. Or maybe they don't exist at all.
Its all interesting though. I love fairies. I suppose thats obvious given my screen name :D

Upvote 0

Gummug

Dec 9, 2009
✟16,121.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I don't really have an answer for you on that one, but I do believe that "there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" as I believe the bard put it. I've wondered, off the point I know, whether all ghosts are demonic impersonations of deceased or whether sometimes the spirit or part of its energy is earth bound...

Upvote 0

jason taylor

Sep 19, 2010
✟7,776.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Fairies is another name for "transdimensional aliens". They have as much or as little plausibility and the basic difference is the words. From the writers standpoint of course there is nothing basic but it is a matter of flavor.

One problem with the word fairies is it has developed a rather silly connotation. "Fair Folk" might do better.

Upvote 0

Hairy Tic

May 4, 2005
✟2,144.00
Faith
Catholic
I know some might think this is laughable, but I like to talk about the idea of fairies being real. Irish Catholics and Christians believe that during the war in heaven there were some neutral angels to afraid to fight for God or Lucifer, they wanted to see how the battle would go before they chose sides. GOd punished them by sending them to Earth but not to Hell. Many of them took jobs looking after nature, they controlled the changing of the seasons and took care of trees, plants, flowers, fruit, animals, bodies of water, wind, rain, insects, birds, soil, rocks, precious stones and minerals, fire, etc. Another story is that fairies came from the coupling of angels and human women, fallen angels and human women, as it says in Genesis, the descendents of the Nephilim. What if God had approved of the love and marriage between angels and human beings? Could the resulting children be a human-sized fairy? Not all fairies are tiny, there are many different types of fairies, some are the same size as people or even bigger, nearly all have supernatural magic powers. Some are evil, some good. Not all have wings, there are a lot of wingless fairies. There are many different races of fey. Some can be beautiful and glowing, with butterfly, firefly or dragonfly wings, others are ugly and mishappen like goblins and the neckler, a water monster that likes to drown people. The pooka is a fairy horse that takes the form of a donkey or satyr and takes human travelers on a wild scary night ride.

The fairies could be related to angels, the powers of the air, that the Bible mentions. As such, they could be evil like demons and fallen angels. I have always liked fairies and see them as good. I think they are like earth angels.

(I'm not talking about gays, I'm talking about the magical beings of folklore and legend.)

The Nephilim could have given birth to all sorts of magical, mythological legendary creatures found in mythology. Perhaps in Noah's flood God wanted to destroy the half human half animals creatures, because the evil people in Noah's day committed inappropriate behavior with animals. Centaurs, satyrs, harpies, the sphinx, they all could have existed. And I imagine God would find it hard to get rid of the mermaids and mermen, since they live in the ocean. Perhaps Jonah preached to the mer-people about Yahweh when he was in the belly of the big fish.

In Ireland it is believed that fairies live underground in fairy hills or mounds called "sidhs" The fairy race is also called Sidh, (she) or the Tuatha de Danaan, People of the goddess Dana. DUring the story of the discovery or settling of Ireland, the Tuatha de Danaan arrived in ancient Ireland from a flying ship that landed from the sky. (aliens, extraterrestrials?) Inside these hollow hills called sidhs, there are underground paradise, palaces with gardens, fine furnishings, treasures of gold and jewels, plenty of delicious food and alcoholic drink, fine clothing, entertaining musicians, bards storytellers and dancing, where the fairy sidh party all day long.

Sometimes humans are kidnapped by fairies and kept in the sidhs, sometimes they escape and it seems they had been with the fairies only a few days, but in reality several years or even centuries have passed.

*Shivers.* THat's a lot different from the cute pretty fairies in children's books and from Disney's Tinkerbell fairies. I wonder which version is true, the pretty feminine figures with butterfly wings and flowers, or the wicked demonic shadowy spirits seek to deceive and drag souls down to hell?
## I think faeries are a garbled memory of Neolithic people living in their - toadstool-shaped - houses; or in their [burial-]mounds (= barrows).

I don't believe in "the pretty feminine figures with butterfly wings and flowers", because these, if Tolkien's remarks on the matter are correct, are a literary invention no older than 1600 or so. His Elves OTOH are most impressive :)

A lot of the literary motifs that turn up in fairy-tales turn up in the OT, or in comparable writings. "Star Trek" goes into space, because the world is too well-known. 3,500 years ago, it was not; so the Forest of Lebanon, of which something survives now, was as mysterious to the Babylonians as Mars is to us. Fairy stories are a sort of "poor man's mythology".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AgapeBible

Aug 26, 2007
USA/Florida
✟44,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It may be these "brownies" short, squat little dark people, like African pygmies, that are the original fairies, in modern day "Celtic" Arthurian fantasy like Mists of Avalon they describe the original inhabitants of the British Isles, original Europeans, fairies, or sidhe, as being short and dark, with tanned brown skin, dark hair and eyes. These could be neolithic people like you said. A brownie is a short little brown skinned dwarf or elf that lives around farmhouses and helps with the work if offered a small rich cake and a bowl of cream. (in fairy folklore, I mean.) The cake is usually rich chocolate, the cakes are called brownies. in Mists of Avalon they have "fairy people" that look more like southeast Asians pacific islanders, they have dark skin and black hair and tattoo themselves in blue woad dye. People living in the British Isles today that are native Brits usually have fair skin, light-coored eyes, (blue, gray or green) lots of red heads, some blondes, light brown hair, some brunettes, few people with black hair.

Upvote 0

Lisa A

May 1, 2011
✟7,613.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Faeries ARE real . I never believed they existed myself until I had an encounter with a Faery Being 3 years ago on 5/31/08. Before this, I did put this situation before Jesus in prayer and asked Him to permit me to meet one (on His timing) if they actually exist and are not demons. Well, never say never folks ,nor put God into a box- because He answered that prayer one month later when I least expected it, and when I needed encouragment. We had a family crisis that weekend - and it left me down in the dumps. That following Monday I had off from work. At our bathroom window, I was still thinking sadly about the family crisis we all had gone through, and was rather depressed, when I was taken off guard by a small light brown face looking up at me through a section of my hair (in the morning sunlight) The first thing that I thought while staring at her diminutive face was "Ohhh My God, He just answered my prayer- they ARE real!!" Her eyes shone with empathy -- she had no idea I could see her at first. She was actually FEELING my emotional pain for me- and it was then that I understood that Christ's Body does suffer for others, and that His body of believers is not only human Christians, but also those who have accepted Him in their hearts from other dimensions as well. We don't know the mysteries- all has not been shown us here yet on this side of the veil. After we --by God's grace-- reach God's Kingdom, more will be shown us. For some reason, God saw fit to answer my prayer to show me before I die. One thing I noticed about this faery was that she was unassuming, very peaceful and calm and had a royalty about her- but yet also a simplicity and purity- and humility. She glorified Christ to me. I saw Him in her. Physically, she had light brown skin and all dark chocolate brown eyes that were tilted upwards and wide-set., She had high brow bones and a delicate nose, mouth and lips- and high cheekbones. Her hair- if she had hair- was pulled up off of her high forehead. What impressed me the most was the Light of Christ shining from her all brown eyes- and I knew that the Holy Spirit was working through her- she was one of His channels, as all of we humans are also meant to be as well. After gawking at her for about a minute in shock, she realized I could see her, and she had a shy uncomfortable "uh ohhh, i better dissapear" expression on her face, so with that she did dissapear. /She did not like to call attention to herself. I thanked the Lord for allowing me to meet one of His Nature Guardians-- and I left that room elated and my depression lifted. Since then, the Lord has showed me that in most cases, He can't really show everyone something like this because most people may start worshipping these Beings and lose sight of Him and their spiritual calling-- maybe start entering a New Age path and leave their calling... It would do more harm than good . And it is also true that just as many humans and Angels have left God, there are those in the Faery Realm who have also sided with Satan as well- so not all the Faery are those who Serve God , so one must use discernment. The folklore is not accurate either. I don't believe in spells and magic. I am not into Wicca and I love Jesus and have accepted Him as my Lord and Savior. He showed me something that I will never be able to share with other Christians unless the Holy Spirit leads me to -- I don't know if I am really being led by Him to share this here, but I saw the topic and felt compelled.. Yes, faeries are Real-- and they do work for God by ministering to His Creation in the physical realm--- It is intentional that God does not permit us to see them physically most of the time, just as it is not given for us to see the Angelic Realm either- because God wants us to focus our attention on Him first- and love Him. All these other things will be added, but we need to focus on Him always. After my encounter, I have a new appreciation for all of God's Creation. I don't worship His Creation- I just am more greatful for the gift of His Creation on this planet -- things I took for granted before. I also see where God would like to see His children be proper stewards on this Earth by showing His love toward all Creation- and to leave a wild place where we have been cleaner than when we found it. This is just a part of His Kingdom of God on Earth-- as in Heaven- hugs Lisa

Upvote 0

mnemonik

May 3, 2011
Midwest
✟7,661.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Anyone ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? It's one of the best-written post-Tolkien fantasy books I've come across. It gives a very interesting treatment of fairies (mainly evil, I'd say). And I've wondered if the views of magic in the book don't parallel views of the church, even if the author never intended to do so.

Upvote 0

SonOfTheWest

Britpack
Sep 26, 2010
United Kingdom
✟9,861.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Anyone ever read Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell? It's one of the best-written post-Tolkien fantasy books I've come across. It gives a very interesting treatment of fairies (mainly evil, I'd say). And I've wondered if the views of magic in the book don't parallel views of the church, even if the author never intended to do so.

It was a great book. I wouldn't call it's depiction of faeries as evil however. More amoral if anything. It's not of course the same among all cultures but faerie or faerie like beings in a lot of stories just don't think like humans and more than one story describes the sometimes sinister ways in which differences between faerie kind and humans has resulted in some sort of tragedy.

Upvote 0

StonedProphet

May 11, 2011
✟337.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
There are some good pictures out there that show them. The kind of stuff you would need fully pineal gland activation to see. The body produces DMT naturally, but halucinogenic drugs will open that world faster. Incidentally the sin of Sorcery in the bible was mistranslated from Pharmekeia which means using drugs for the purpose of communing with spirits in the spirit world, which they open up for you. My advice is to worry about the coming tribulation and leave that world alone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lisa A

May 1, 2011
✟7,613.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
After a prayer I made asking Jesus to allow me to meet one of these Beings- if they were real-- He did answer that prayer , and my eyes were opened (without drugs-- but by the Holy Spirit) to see one of these Beings resting in my hair and looking at me with empathy shining from her eyes one morning after a conflict our family had experienced. She didnt know I saw her for a long minute- but after me staring at her in shock, she finally realized I could see her, and she then dissapeared-- but the Lord showed me that day that ,yes, these Beings are definitely real, but that there is a reason it is not given for most of us humans to see them.
We would only undermine our own spiritual walk with Jesus- and end up foscusing our attention way too much on these Beings instead, which would only undermine our spiritual Calling as well as even THEIR spiritual walk with Christ as well.
The Being I saw was definitely part of the Body of Christ; one who was sharing in my suffering with me. The Lord permitted me to see how I was not alone in my pain- that He even has those who serve Him from other dimensions who have accepted Him into their hearts.

Now just as there are fallen angels and fallen humans, there are probably also fallen Faerykind as well, -- and so this is another danger as well .

What we should do is place all in Christ's hands, and focus on Jesus. We will be spiritually ready to see much more once we enter Paradise one day after our deaths and the Heavenly Father is able to then show us much more that He has to hold back for now.

Upvote 0

FloralDance

May 1, 2020
Michigan
✟7,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I totally agree with this. I have always believed that not everything is written in the bible. Only the stuff we really needed to guide us was put in. Every continent has stories of fairies/fairy kind and dragons. This leads me to believe they do exist or did at one point. As with everything there is always good and evil/light and dark.

Upvote 0