Failing church kicking out its old folk.

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
It really doesn't matter. Not if a reboot requires any Christian church to expel longstanding members whose only misstep was being old.

Heaven save us from that kind of Churchianity!
Maybe it's not oldness itself but that the older people are not deemed sufficiently progressive. If they can be pushed out maybe the progressives take charge of the building as the UMC goes into their disassociation. Then, once fully progressive, as the theory goes, young people will flock to the progressive worship in the building and all will be peachy keen. Fat chance of that.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟373,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I think it's a very fear-based extreme reaction to a severe decline in cultural Christianity here in the U.S.

It’s true that identification with both Catholicism and various Protestant denominations has declined. So it’s not surprising that attendance at traditional churches is also in decline. The link has more detail.

In U.S., Decline of Christianity Continues at Rapid Pace

I’ve read that the increased number of people unaffiliated with any religion (the “religious nones” in the link) are not rejecting all belief. They are often substituting a sort of free-form spirituality for specific religious doctrines. The link briefly alludes to this. And I suspect this is particularly common among the Millennials.

Upvote 0

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It comes down to the question of who legitimately owns a church? If it's not God's church, then it's a waste of time and money.

I don't think that old age automatically brings wisdom by any stretch, but I do know that you don't find much wisdom in the young. There is no great need for an OK boomer denomination.

I once went to one of those churches that were like a nightclub, but without the booze. It reminded me of why people drink at nightclubs.

The Church of the first century had no gimmicks. It needed none. It had the signs and wonders of the Holy Spirit. Aside from that, it was rather tame and conventional.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,709.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The Church of the first century had no gimmicks. It needed none. It had the signs and wonders of the Holy Spirit. Aside from that, it was rather tame and conventional.

Aside from that?

lol, that's like the old joke - "So, aside from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

People speaking in tongues hews a lot closer to gimmickry than do blinking lights.

Upvote 0

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Such an idea is not unheard of........There were a group of people traveling the wilderness for many years.....awaiting the death of the older people, so that the young could move forward into the promise......
That's God's prerogative. Not man's.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Hopefully all those older members will remember the church in their wills.
Each and every one leaving a single dollar to remind the soon to die church of what might have been.

Except for the ones who have a sense o humor as sick as mine, they might leave 20 old fashioned dimes. Back when those old folks were born dimes were silver.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There is a local church near me that me and this lady friend did go to for a few weeks till the pastor said we want only young people and not older so we left. They are a small church with alot of older people. We went to another Church that is much bigger and more into wanting people of all ages.

May any of the young who stay and are aware of this reap as they have sown. The ones with the wisdom of a donkey should be smart enough to figure out that when they are old teh same could happen to them.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Struggling Cottage Grove Church Asks Older Members To Go Away

Churches die for reasons. This one is Methodist, but it's a pattern I've observed independent of denomination.

My position: an aging church membership is a symptom of a failure to fulfill the Great Commission, and a declining membership is another symptom. But failing to fulfill the Great Commission is itself a symptom of a deeper spiritual illness. This church lost its way a long time ago. And this latest cynical move is yet another manifestation of the sickness.

Jesus welcomed the humble from all walks of life and of all ages. But the Church he founded - the Church described in the New Testament- does it even exist anymore?

If the church were led by the Holy Spirit, things never even would have gotten to this point.

Pelagian thinking is the cause, and Reformed theology is the cure, for this type of insanity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't know about you but I make God's prerogative my prerogative.
I submit (unconditionally) to no one except God. I defer to Him in all things.

There are people who can't handle power. Unfortunately, these are the very ones who seek power. The only power I seek is defensive power, to preserve my freedom.

I suspect, however, that this is more about money. A denomination corrupted by paid clergy. They lust after tithes and offerings.

I'm not yet of the age where this sort of church would kick me out. But I'm of the age where I would leave in disgust. Those who seek to attract the young in this way will attract the wrong sort of young. They won't attract a Joshua or a Caleb. They will attract a flurry of snowflakes - who will arrive weak, and be made weaker still. For there is no healing to be had in a sick church.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'm not yet of the age where this sort of church would kick me out. But I'm of the age where I would leave in disgust. Those who seek to attract the young in this way will attract the wrong sort of young. They won't attract a Joshua or a Caleb. They will attract a flurry of snowflakes - who will arrive weak, and be made weaker still. For there is no healing to be had in a sick church.
That's probably so. Other than for the issue of the wrongful treatment planned for the older members, the main point as I see it is that a conventional church with a conventional layout and almost no attendees after the oldsters are dispatched will attract no young people to speak of. Not if it is the same church but minus old people.

As others have noted already, they would need to completely alter the building, the theology, and also the worship services in the direction of praise bands on a stage, with light shows, coffee bars, and that sort of thing.

This doesn't rejuvenate the church or "reboot" anything.

On the contrary, it's to create a brand new church, albeit one that may still hold membership in one of the Methodist denominations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,345.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The vast majority of the time the wife outlives her husband. It is safe to assume a lot of those older people are widows.

I'm pretty sure Scripture says something about the treatment of widows and orphans. I don't think it says cast them out or abandon them.

If the Christian God is real I would not want to be one of those making this decision when I eventually faced my God.

• Winner
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Such an idea is not unheard of........There were a group of people traveling the wilderness for many years.....awaiting the death of the older people, so that the young could move forward into the promise......

Wrong!! They were waiting for the unbelievers to die! Big difference. Caleb was still among the elderly, so were Moses and Aaron and Miriam and others who had not disobeyed God 40 years earlier. It was not a matter of the old making way for the young! It was the unbelievers making way for the believers!

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wrong!! They were waiting for the unbelievers to die! Big difference. Caleb was still among the elderly, so were Moses and Aaron and Miriam and others who had not disobeyed God 40 years earlier. It was not a matter of the old making way for the young! It was the unbelievers making way for the believers!
If this is history to you, it will remain a mystery...mere interpretations. We found the leaders......even if it is in a 40 year long circle.....no one asking whether or not things should change....no questioning of interpretations for fear of exile. And we do this still we die. Then come the young, willing to break the loop and peer through the trees.

"What's over there Grandma," says the young. "Keep following me or you will burn in hell," says the Grandma, dismissing any notions of change. When the Grandma passes away and the fear subsides.....a few youths takes a chance and peer through the trees.....Finds and enters the promise land.

Do you feel inclined to dismiss what I have said, to who fast to what you have be taught and believe?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
If this is history to you, it will remain a mystery...mere interpretations. We found the leaders......even if it is in a 40 year long circle.....no one asking whether or not things should change....no questioning of interpretations for fear of exile. And we do this still we die. Then come the young, willing to break the loop and peer through the trees.

"What's over there Grandma," says the young. "Keep following me or you will burn in hell," says the Grandma, dismissing any notions of change. When the Grandma passes away and the fear subsides.....a few youths takes a chance and peer through the trees.....Finds and enters the promise land.

Do you feel inclined to dismiss what I have said, to who fast to what you have be taught and believe?

It matters not what you or I believe---it matters what the word of God says---the Israelites that went into Canaan were faithless and refused to fight for their land which God said they would inherit. Only Caleb stood up for God--and only Caleb went into the promised land. The rest trekked for 40 years till they died. Not a fancy interpretation---just the plain word of God. You can believe whatever you've been told or read or made up---I'll go by what the word of God says.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It matters not what you or I believe---it matters what the word of God says---the Israelites that went into Canaan were faithless and refused to fight for their land which God said they would inherit. Only Caleb stood up for God--and only Caleb went into the promised land. The rest trekked for 40 years till they died. Not a fancy interpretation---just the plain word of God. You can believe whatever you've been told or read or made up---I'll go by what the word of God says.

"What's over there Grandma," says the young. "The word said to follow the man in front of me plainly! ...'Not a fancy interpretation---just the plain word of God. You can believe whatever you've been told or read or made up---I'll go by what the word of God says....It matters not what you or I believe'"

I too was walking around in the wilderness......talking about how foolish the Children of Israel were for not trusting in the Lord after seeing all that was done.... till I was told " Thou art the man"

Easy to look at another in disbelief and shame and disgust. Harder to examine the man in the mirror.

We call our promise land Heaven.... How many of us are walking in the wilderness..... How many have fond the narrow path to life. Broad is the path that leadeth to destruction and many there be on it......and almost everyone of them will say that they arent........as did I....

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
"What's over there Grandma," says the young. "The word said to follow the man in front of me plainly! ...'Not a fancy interpretation---just the plain word of God. You can believe whatever you've been told or read or made up---I'll go by what the word of God says....It matters not what you or I believe'"

I too was walking around in the wilderness......talking about how foolish the Children of Israel were for not trusting in the Lord after seeing all that was done.... till I was told " Thou art the man"

Easy to look at another in disbelief and shame and disgust. Harder to examine the man in the mirror.

We call our promise land Heaven.... How many of us are walking in the wilderness..... How many have fond the narrow path to life. Broad is the path that leadeth to destruction and many there be on it......and almost everyone of them will say that they arent........as did I....

Which is still what I said---unbelievers do not get in. And I do not want to be one of those.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟876,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Which is still what I said---unbelievers do not get in. And I do not want to be one of those.

Let him be. He seems to want to characterize as well.

Hebrews 3:16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Aside from that?

lol, that's like the old joke - "So, aside from that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?"

People speaking in tongues hews a lot closer to gimmickry than do blinking lights.

If you think that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are either 1) limited to individuals speaking in tongues (which is not the proper use in church, unless one is delivering a message to the church and then interpreting it (or another interprets), or 2) Signs and wonders and healings are gimmicks, then you are mistaken, or just haven't yet seen the real thing.

Upvote 0