Failing church kicking out its old folk.

Gordon Wright

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
✟17,383.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Struggling Cottage Grove Church Asks Older Members To Go Away

Churches die for reasons. This one is Methodist, but it's a pattern I've observed independent of denomination.

My position: an aging church membership is a symptom of a failure to fulfill the Great Commission, and a declining membership is another symptom. But failing to fulfill the Great Commission is itself a symptom of a deeper spiritual illness. This church lost its way a long time ago. And this latest cynical move is yet another manifestation of the sickness.

Jesus welcomed the humble from all walks of life and of all ages. But the Church he founded - the Church described in the New Testament- does it even exist anymore?

If the church were led by the Holy Spirit, things never even would have gotten to this point.

• Agree
Reactions: Johnboy60

2PhiloVoid

Yes, you're right! I'm not Gandalf!
Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,126,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Churches die for reasons. This one is Methodist, but it's a pattern I've observed independent of denomination.

My position: an aging church membership is a symptom of a failure to fulfill the Great Commission, and a declining membership is another symptom. But failing to fulfill the Great Commission is itself a symptom of a deeper spiritual illness. This church lost its way a long time ago. And this latest cynical move is yet another manifestation of the sickness.

Jesus welcomed the humble from all walks of life and of all ages. But the Church he founded - the Church described in the New Testament- does it even exist anymore?

If the church were led by the Holy Spirit, things never even would have gotten to this point.

While I'm a fan of Kierkegaard, I don't know that I'd say it's purely the fault of the Church for losing its members. No, I think there's a Devil in the details that we have to seriously consider. The Church is only partly at fault for its losses.

That's a good OP you wrote, though, and I do appreciate the point of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is disgusting.

The only thing that the church or any other should be concerned about is preaching the gospel.
Nothing else matters and even if there were only one "old" person attending, that would be more pleasing to God than seeking how to "attract" people.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The North Texas district of the Assemblies of God Denomination has over 600 churches, and last year over 200 of them reported NO salvations in 2019. THAT'S a problem.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,173,420.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The North Texas district of the Assemblies of God Denomination has over 600 churches, and last year over 200 of them reported NO salvations in 2019. THAT'S a problem.

Do they make these reports public?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

If the church was led by the Holy Spirit , even the spirit of truth , would there be a sermon and gatherings based on such things as Mothers's Day , Father's Day , Thanksgiving and other man made observances at practically every church of every denomination ? No , but these sermons and observances are expected by the people . I find it odd that the Holy Spirit directs the same "theme" across churches in America on the same day . Are we following God or man ? Walking in Truth is more difficult than having a correct theology .

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It sounds like the church is blaming it's elderly members for the failure of the church. In short, seems they are removing them in the same way we are called in Corinthians to remove the wicked from among us.

In this case, they are saying the fault must be those who have been in the church the longest, and removing them for 2 years and then asking them to reapply for membership there, to see if they qualify at that time as believers..

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
A church that dishonors its older members, or its members who are ill, or its poorer members, will not prosper, or will prosper for the wrong reasons. We are a body, and the wisdom those older folk have can be a ballast and a protection against youthful error. We are in an age that worships youth and the physical, and rather than drawing respect, age is a cause for job loss and sidelining.

Of course, the older folk need to let the life of the church change and evolve, and sometimes they want to cling to the old ways, so that can be a problem too. There has to be a coming together for the overall good of the church. A healthy amount of growing pains is a good sign for a church, and not to be avoided.

• Agree
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it also a problem that the sucess of the church is j
It sounds like the church is blaming it's elderly members for the failure of the church. In short, seems they are removing them in the same way we are called in Corinthians to remove the wicked from among us.

In this case, they are saying the fault must be those who have been in the church the longest, and removing them for 2 years and then asking them to reapply for membership there, to see if they qualify at that time as believers..
What if the older preachers are preaching the old wine.......and they need wine made for new wine skins?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

As if asking your most dependable members to voluntarily leave for two years or so were not outrageous enough, these people are expected then to re-apply for membership? I cannot imagine how that makes any sense.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As if asking your most dependable members to voluntarily leave for two years or so were not outrageous enough, these people are expected then to re-apply for membership? I cannot imagine how that makes any sense.

Yeah, it's odd at best.

The only thing I can imagine of it is like I said, they are laying all the blame at their feet, and declaring them wicked and removing them from church membership, and (they are hopeful) attendance as a result.

Thing is, they aren't pointing to actual sins these elderly have committed, rather, they are saying the church isn't growing therefore there must be sin.

I find it doubtful any of these elderly will be back, as a result.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What if the older preachers are preaching the old wine.......and they need wine made for new wine skins?

They don't have a preacher any longer at that church for one, after they lost the ability to pay a pastor the pastor left.

They, as a church, were able to begin equalizing the loss and growing some through the laity taking turns preaching..

Then at that point, the overall head of the Methodist body said this isn't good enough or fast enough, therefore they decided to remove all the elderly from membership, period, for two years at which time they may reapply and it can be decided then whether or not they can rejoin.

Here's the thing. What's the old wine verses the new? Biblically it's not the elderly and God never changes therefore the message of salvation never changes.

The same message should bring in new people regardless of age, because the message is God's. We don't discard our scripture because of its age, and we should likewise always have respect for the elderly not condemn them.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I thought the reapplications were for the perishes not the members......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

No, they are saying the elderly members who are being removed must reapply to rejoin that church after two years.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
As I re-read the OP, that looks to be correct.

On the other hand, the oldsters are still to be required--according to the plan as described in the OP's link--to re-apply for membership in their own church after being booted for no reason other than that there is a theory that younger families are not attracted to congregations that are predominantly made up of the elderly???????????

That, at least, is what any of us knows about this matter, thanks to the usual news services.

• Useful
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I re-read the OP, that looks to be correct.

On the other hand, the oldsters are still to be required--according to the plan as described in the OP's link--to re-apply for membership in their own church after being booted for no reason other than that there is a theory that younger families are not attracted to congregations that are predominantly made up of the elderly???????????

That, at least, is what any of us knows about this matter, thanks to the usual news services.

I wasn't willing to go that far for fear of gettingin trouble, but as you said it I will say:

"By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

And so the field narrows...

• Agree
Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Churches die for reasons.

And after reading the following from the link, it's easy to see why this one is dying, they're killing themselves:

COTTAGE GROVE, Minn. (AP) — A struggling Minnesota church is asking its older parishioners to leave in hopes of making it more attractive to young families.

That's so far off base, I lost sight of the baseball diamond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a local church near me that me and this lady friend did go to for a few weeks till the pastor said we want only young people and not older so we left. They are a small church with alot of older people. We went to another Church that is much bigger and more into wanting people of all ages.

Upvote 0