Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's true that certain popular sayings have been attributed to Francis although we either know that they came from another source or else that there is no record of Francis having said them himself.

The one mentioned in this thread is one of those. However, the article from that website ("The Gospel Coalition") is even more wrong when it misrepresents the meaning of the saying, as it definitely does. :(

• Agree
Reactions: charsan
Upvote 0

charsan

Charismatic Episcopal Church
Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
One saying I love the most is: Preach the gospel at all times and use words if necessary. Which makes a great deal of sense, we should live the gospel so much that no one cannot say we are not believers

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
One saying I love the most is: Preach the gospel at all times and use words if necessary. Which makes a great deal of sense, we should live the gospel so much that no one cannot say we are not believers
Right,

James 2:18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

Is a close biblical equivalent.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
It's true that certain popular sayings have been attributed to Francis although we either know that they came from another source or else that there is no record of Francis having said them himself.

The one mentioned in this thread is one of those. However, the article from that website ("The Gospel Coalition") is even more wrong when it misrepresents the meaning of the saying, as it definitely does. :(

Can you tell me what the misrepresentation is?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell me what the misrepresentation is?
Hi, Phoebe.

Yes. Here is the paragraph from the TGC article:

"It is always attributed to St. Francis of Assisi—founder of the Franciscan Order—and is intended to say that proclaiming the Gospel by example is more virtuous than actually proclaiming with voice. It is a quote that has often rankled me because it seems to create a useless dichotomy between speech and action. Besides, the spirit behind it can be a little arrogant, intimating that those who “practice the Gospel” are more faithful to the faith than those who preach it."

So there are three different statements attacking the comment attributed to Francis, and each one of them is both grossly unfair to Francis (leading me to wonder if the author really is familiar with the life of the saint) and untrue to the words themselves, quite apart from who said them.

• Agree
Reactions: mark46
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Right,

James 2:18 But someone will say, "You have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

I don't think they are even close, let alone equivalent.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
from the short page in the link:
"We as evangelicals who claim we are committed to truth are certainly good at spreading falsehood, even if unintentionally. We can do better. "

Some things seem like they might be questioned there in the link,
but mostly it seems okay, on first perusal (not "deep") , and I don't think at all it was meant to be "deep".

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The point behind the statement by Francis was not that one kind of witnessing is superior to another or that one kind should be used rather than the other, as the article insinuated (even going so far as to say the comment "rankled" the writer). And to label it as "arrogant" is absurd. Anyone who knows the first thing about Francis knows that he was the epitome of a humble servant of the Lord, even if other things about him might be criticized.

The fact is that his followers, the early Franciscans, were mainly uneducated men who couldn't qualify for admission to the older religious orders. His words have to be seen in the light of that reality.

If you cannot speak articulately, if you doubt your abilities to interpret Scripture to non-believers, if you aren't a confident public speaker, any of that, you can still witness by the way you live--loving the Lord, loving other people, disavowing vanity and showiness, etc., all of which is profoundly true to the Gospel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't think they are even close, let alone equivalent.
Is this a little closer for ya?

Luke 10:25-37

25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”;” and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you cannot speak articulately, if you doubt your abilities to interpret Scripture to non-believers, if you aren't a confident public speaker, any of that, you can still witness by the way you live--loving the Lord, loving other people, disavowing vanity and showiness, etc., all of which is profoundly true to the Gospel.

^ this

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="Tigger45, post: 74513453, member: 314388"]Is this a little closer for ya?
Luke 10:25-37
25 On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”;” and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’
36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”
37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”[/QUOTE
=============================================

What is your reason or your motive ?

If you could save someone 20 years ago from getting diabetes and from getting high blood pressure and from getting heart troubles and from getting obese,
would you do it ?
Or would you stay quiet and let them live and suffer in all those ways without helping them or without telling them what was going to happen ?

Upvote 0

charsan

Jul 12, 2019
South California
✟62,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Right,

Agreed, not everyone can say things with eloquence or brave enough to go to total strangers. One good thing is not being an evangelical I am not pressured to tell everyone everything all the time. I have a friend that felt that pressure of having to talk to everyone and ended up having a break down and after talking to the doctor my friend understood one does not have to do that but can live as a Christian and let that be the witness. Living as a Christian people will come up to you many ties and strike up a conversation which is great because we are not shoving anything down their throats so to speak.

Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tigger45

Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Agreed, not everyone can say things with eloquence or brave enough to go to total strangers. One good thing is not being an evangelical I am not pressured to tell everyone everything all the time. I have a friend that felt that pressure of having to talk to everyone and ended up having a break down and after talking to the doctor my friend understood one does not have to do that but can live as a Christian and let that be the witness. Living as a Christian people will come up to you many ties and strike up a conversation which is great because we are not shoving anything down their throats so to speak.
I’ve found that character and kindness opens opportunity for sharing the Gospel verses a soap box approach to preaching, especially when the person comes off with a spirit of self righteousness, does more damage to the message than good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
St John Chrysostom described a good approach for sharing the gospel - the “law of love”, often with words but always with actions. The concept of witnessing through actions and words was taught from antiquity.

“Nothing is more frigid than a Christian who is indifferent to the salvation of others. Indeed I wonder if such a person can be a true Christian. To become a disciple of Christ is to obey his law of love; and obedience to the law brings joy beyond measure and description. Love means to want the best for others, sharing with them the joy of love. So the Christian feels compelled to speak to others about the law of love, and the joy of obeying this law. Of course, many people are shy about speaking to others; in their case actions motivated by love will be a most eloquent testimony. But those who are not shy will surely want to express their joy at every opportunity. There is no need to use fine words or elegant phrases; even the most uneducated people can convey joyful love by the spirit which accompanies their words. Even slaves have been known to convert their masters and mistresses by the sincerity of their speech.” – On Living Simply

Reactions: Rescued One
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi, Phoebe.

Yes. Here is the paragraph from the TGC article:

"It is always attributed to St. Francis of Assisi—founder of the Franciscan Order—and is intended to say that proclaiming the Gospel by example is more virtuous than actually proclaiming with voice. It is a quote that has often rankled me because it seems to create a useless dichotomy between speech and action. Besides, the spirit behind it can be a little arrogant, intimating that those who “practice the Gospel” are more faithful to the faith than those who preach it."

So there are three different statements attacking the comment attributed to Francis, and each one of them is both grossly unfair to Francis (leading me to wonder if the author really is familiar with the life of the saint) and untrue to the words themselves, quite apart from who said them.

I think I see what you are saying. But I believe that living faith is evidenced by our actions. Now that we are children of light, we walk in the light abandoning the works of darkness. We have been changed. I doubt that most Protestants are more than vaguely familiar with Saint Francis.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think I see what you are saying. But I believe that living faith is evidenced by our actions. Now that we are children of light, we walk in the light abandoning the works of darkness. We have been changed. I doubt that most Protestants are more than vaguely familiar with Saint Francis.
You certainly are correct in what you say! My point is many liberal Christians(Catholic and protestant) use Francis and lie about what he said to promote not having to verbally talk about Jesus or his church. They also make him out to be a wimp and effeminate and a hippie but the real Francis was none of these things. He was a preacher who was quite verbal about repenting and believing in the Gospel for salvation.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't like the saying, but I do like how one of the hymns teachers at the Coptic monastery/church I went to several years ago put it: "The first rite of the Church is love."

The reason I don't like the saying as attributed to Francis is that we are not to trust in own piety as an evangelistic tool, even while recognizing that it is one. A great many were attracted to the desert by the piety of Abba Anthony, but what kept them there was the endless guidance of his sayings. Maybe if the quote was "Your life should be such that every action -- spoken, written, or by any other means -- draws people to Christ", it would not be so consistently misinterpreted. It also wouldn't be as memorable.

Anyway, by turning the focus back on the Church which sanctifies us through our mystical communion with Him within it, we focus not on personal piety but on the foundation of how we should relate to everyone, whether we are specifically evangelizing or not: with the love of Christ.

Upvote 0