Seek First His Kingdom & Righteousness
May 7, 2016
Revelation 21:2
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have noticed this week that there is a new level of absurdity creeping amongst us. While it has somewhat of an advantage that it makes the wolves who wear sheep's clothing more obvious, thereby more of a rift between the vessels for glory and the vessels for destruction, I am concerned that the consequences of being so absurd can produce severe depravity .. and ultimately there are children in this world who suffer as a result.

I have noticed that the voting emoticons, where we can rate a comment with an expression as "like", "prayers", "agree", "winner", "friendly" etc, there is nothing there that can really express disapproval. I have seen people use the "prayers" icon for that purpose, and I have noticed the temptation to use it for that purpose myself, but it really does not assist a person to be Christian if they are tempted to do that because it is dishonest and it is irreverent toward God.

I feel like suggesting a new icon to express disapproval in a spirit of concern, so to serve all members with a reminder to be responsible about what they say: "foolish talking and crude jokes are out of place" - Ephesians 5:4.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The "fireball" icon :)

download.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I doubt the site would build in negative-rating icons. If they did, they might need to use it to decrease total ratings instead of increasing them. 1,000 "dislikes" otherwise could look numerically like a lot of people respect that poster's words.

It might also encourage flaming or goading - which take up time resources of those who volunteer to keep the site running.

However - I've wished for a "dislike" button on sites like FB for example. I understand your sentiment.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This will not work. You can be reported and banned just for using the prayer or optimistic icon. Doesnt seem feasible to create an icon that shows obvious disagreement. You'd get banned after three uses of any icon that expresses disagreement.

We are a sensitive people. Our feelings get hurt to easily. i cant control my anger if i see a rating which depict a figure slapping their face...

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You are right it has been getting worse lately, especially in some forums. It is probably best just to ignore them. Much of it is attention getting behavior and perhaps ignoring and not responding to it will reduce the amount.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This will not work. You can be reported and banned just for using the prayer or optimistic icon. Doesnt seem feasible to create an icon that shows obvious disagreement. You'd get banned after three uses of any icon that expresses disagreement.

We are a sensitive people. Our feelings get hurt to easily. i cant control my anger if i see a rating which depict a figure slapping their face...
Hang on with this. It is fair enough to be offended if someone is being sarcastic, saying they will pray when in fact they have no intention of praying and if they did pray, it would take the form of a curse.. it's plain mockery. But if someone disagrees with me in whole honesty, then I have no right to be offended at all - only one of us could be right.

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You are right it has been getting worse lately, especially in some forums. It is probably best just to ignore them. Much of it is attention getting behavior and perhaps ignoring and not responding to it will reduce the amount.
Awww, but where is your heart for all the victims of those who they subsequently touch in Jesus' name, having not received knowledge of their error therefore they feel justified in their spirit to blaspheme?

Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Awww, but where is your heart for all the victims of those who they subsequently touch in Jesus' name, having not received knowledge of their error therefore they feel justified in their spirit to blaspheme?
The significance of this should not be underestimated (Romans 8:34, John 15:22).

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,840.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Well, you could repost what they posted in error and comment on what they said - an emoji isn't going to fix that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
There is a lot of spirit expressed non-verbally, that's for sure. The icon I showed was Jesus weeping.

It didn't show up. There's a glitch with the image feature here.

• Agree
Reactions: Serving Zion
Upvote 0

Serving Zion

May 7, 2016
✟223,022.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, you could repost what they posted in error and comment on what they said - an emoji isn't going to fix that.
It just starts a squabble though, plus the main thing is to encourage mindfulness of accountability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟674,908.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I agree that if the conversation is rationally being conducted even remotely rationally we may engage it and make our own points. However, often it is nothing more than goating, ridiculing and name calling. (In fact it's main point can be a "spirit of blaspheme" that they are already well aware of.) Further discussion with someone like that rarely (I can't think of an instance here on CF) leads to an increase in knowledge. Sometimes silence speaks more than words.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hang on with this. It is fair enough to be offended if someone is being sarcastic, saying they will pray when in fact they have no intention of praying and if they did pray, it would take the form of a curse.. it's plain mockery. But if someone disagrees with me in whole honesty, then I have no right to be offended at all - only one of us could be right.
To be honest, I believe that one who has denied themselves and picked up their cross to follow Jesus, will not get offended period......even when/if offense is intended. This is the primary gain I see in even coming to this site.....It helps me to gauge my spirituality and my ability to guard my heart and mind....when i am able to suspect offense, but not feel it. It matters not whether i respond or not. It is the feeling and thoughts which God reads.

When i feel offense, I catch myself and know that I need to die some more......if there is any "I" left, then Christ cannot live in me...... So those who wish to cause harm are actually helping me......so I have more reason to show love in return.

Consequently there are some who are also offended, when you arent offended by their offense! All the more reason why any disagreeable icons will not work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
To be honest, I believe that one who has denied themselves and picked up their cross to follow Jesus, will not get offended period......even when/if offense is intended. This is the primary gain I see in even coming to this site.....It helps me to gauge my spirituality and my ability to guard my heart and mind....when i am able to suspect offense, but not feel it. It matters not whether i respond or not. It is the feeling and thoughts which God reads.

When i feel offense, I catch myself and know that I need to do die some more......if there is any "I" left, then Christ cannot live in me...... So those who wish to cause harm are actually helping me......so I have more reason to show love in return.

Consequently there are some who are also offended, when you arent offended by their offense! All the more reason why any disagreeable icons will not work.
Not all who are disciples may yet have reached that level of maturity - but your points are very good. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.