KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Facebook removes troll farm posing as African-American support for Donald Trump

Facebook removed hundreds of accounts on Thursday from a foreign troll farm posing as African-Americans in support of Donald Trump and QAnon supporters. It also removed hundreds of fake accounts linked to conservative media outlet The Epoch Times that pushed pro-Trump conspiracy theories about coronavirus and protests in the U.S.

Facebook took down the accounts as part of its enforcement against coordinated inauthentic behavior, which is the use of fake accounts to inflate the reach of content or products on social media.

The foreign pro-Trump troll farm was based in Romania and pushed content on Instagram under names like “BlackPeopleVoteForTrump” and on Facebook under “We Love Our President.”
Seems like a reasonable choice for a company to make about members abusing their site to spread foreign propaganda.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I seem to be recalled being removed from Facebook for being a 'Russian Troll' back in 2016, lol.

Is this actually what happened?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Facebook removed hundreds of accounts on Thursday from a foreign troll farm posing as African-Americans in support of Donald Trump and QAnon supporters. It also removed hundreds of fake accounts linked to conservative media outlet The Epoch Times that pushed pro-Trump conspiracy theories about coronavirus and protests in the U.S.

Facebook took down the accounts as part of its enforcement against coordinated inauthentic behavior, which is the use of fake accounts to inflate the reach of content or products on social media.

The foreign pro-Trump troll farm was based in Romania and pushed content on Instagram under names like “BlackPeopleVoteForTrump” and on Facebook under “We Love Our President.”
Seems like a reasonable choice for a company to make about members abusing their site to spread foreign propaganda.
Cyber Blackface.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is this actually what happened. I seem to be recalled being removed from Facebook for being a 'Russian Troll' back in 2016, lol.
Were you rewarded for your efforts, Comrade?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The problem is how do we know that there is any truth in that decision. Social media now has the ability to control what we see and that gives them far too much ability to control public opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The problem is how do we know that there is any truth in that decision.
You can read the article and see what pointed the company to this conclusion. For example

Researchers at the Atlantic Council found that many of the troll farm's posts came from a persona called "David Adrian," which used a stolen profile photo and claimed to be living in both Romania and Montana. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter have since removed multiple accounts for the David Adrian persona.
Feel free to come up with a better explanation. And be sure to let us know how we know that "there is any truth" in your research on the subject.

Until then, seems like a reasonable conclusion that these accounts were more than a bit suspect.

• Winner
Reactions: Jimmy D
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can read the article and see what pointed the company to this conclusion. For example

Researchers at the Atlantic Council found that many of the troll farm's posts came from a persona called "David Adrian," which used a stolen profile photo and claimed to be living in both Romania and Montana. Facebook, Instagram and Twitter have since removed multiple accounts for the David Adrian persona.
Feel free to come up with a better explanation. And be sure to let us know how we know that "there is any truth" in your research on the subject.

Until then, seems like a reasonable conclusion that these accounts were more than a bit suspect.
So we just assume that they are right or being truthful? You know what happens when we assume?

Upvote 0

Jimmy D

Dec 11, 2014
✟268,199.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So we just assume that they are right or being truthful? You know what happens when we assume?

So cynical Clint. Social media platforms have to do what they can to limit this sort of activity. I’ve personally seen racist propaganda against Muslims which I thought was a bit fishy, upon checking I discovered the supposed event never occurred and the photo was several years old. AN unknown group was obviously attempting to stir up Racial hatred with obvious lies, this sort of stuff should not go unchecked.

What’s your alternative plan?

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The problem is how do we know that there is any truth in that decision. Social media now has the ability to control what we see and that gives them far too much ability to control public opinion.

I love it when there is no reasonable objections left then we always go for “how can we ever know what the reality really is ? “

Then of course that is conveniently forgotten when the next nut job with 27 followers on YouTube posts something that aligns with our views and it is immediately a truth that need to be reposted and celebrated because logic.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So cynical Clint. Social media platforms have to do what they can to limit this sort of activity. I’ve personally seen racist propaganda against Muslims which I thought was a bit fishy, upon checking I discovered the supposed event never occurred and the photo was several years old. AN unknown group was obviously attempting to stir up Racial hatred with obvious lies, this sort of stuff should not go unchecked.

What’s your alternative plan?
I am not certain Jimmy but I am concerned that we are wandering into a situation where people unknown to us are deciding what is truth and what is not truth and who is a legitimate poster and who is not. All this and we have no way of knowing if they are right or wrong and if they are serving someone or some organization that wants to control what we believe and what we have access to view.
Talk about propaganda and thought control, looks like we are there. This all comes as a result of group thought, in the form of the cancel culture, if someone does not accept the values of the group they are socially and or financially ostracized. We need to watch what is going on. There are people who are attempting to eat the elephant one bite at a time.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟200,679.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love it when there is no reasonable objections left then we always go for “how can we ever know what the reality really is ? “

Then of course that is conveniently forgotten when the next nut job with 27 followers on YouTube posts something that aligns with our views and it is immediately a truth that need to be reposted and celebrated because logic.
Well maybe there should be criminal laws, then the violator can be investigated by an independent agency. I do not have a real good solution but we need to start working on some.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟484,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I am not certain Jimmy but I am concerned that we are wandering into a situation where people unknown to us are deciding what is truth and what is not truth and who is a legitimate poster and who is not.
I can understand why some might be concerned about posts being fact checked.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I can understand why some might be concerned about posts being fact checked.

When a President goes on twitter s/he should be fact checked before opening their mouth. Presidents should not just make up facts as they speak.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟820,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It also removed hundreds of fake accounts linked to conservative media outlet The Epoch Times that pushed pro-Trump conspiracy theories about coronavirus and protests in the U.S.

Wowsers, I just got a print version of the Epoch Times left on my doorstep. 'July-August Special Edition'.

16 pages of China-is-evil. About what you'd expect from Falun Gong.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟137,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Well maybe there should be criminal laws, then the violator can be investigated by an independent agency. I do not have a real good solution but we need to start working on some.
“Independent agency”?
To enforce criminal laws, on speech?
My! One wonders what this “Department of Truth“ might look like under the Trump administration.

Upvote 0