Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
BOSTON (CBS) – Two women have been placed on unpaid leave from their jobs after their photo at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia angered thousands of people on Facebook.

Lindsey Stone was visiting the Tomb of the Unknowns last month on a business trip when she posed for a picture next to a sign that reads “silence and respect.”

In the photo, Stone is pretending to yell and she’s showing her middle finger.

Facebook Photo Of Plymouth Woman At Tomb Of The Unknowns Sparks Outrage « CBS Boston

Natural selection at work? :p

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
As disrespectful as it is, her workplace shouldn't care what she does in her own time. As long as she isn't in her work uniform or doing anything to identify herself as an employee of the company, they have no right to force an unpaid leave over something she did that was entirely unrelated to the company.

Depends, actually. If I say anything that identifies me as an employee of my company online, I can be terminated.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Depends, actually. If I say anything that identifies me as an employee of my company online, I can be terminated.

The post you quoted said exactly that.

Did she identify herself as an employee of any specific company?

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Uh, this is worse than having somethgin that allows their employeer to be identified. They basically did this at work!

Some angry comments were posted on the Facebook page of their employer, Living Independently Forever, Inc.,(LIFE) a non-profit organization in Hyannis that helps adults with disabilities on Cape Cod.

The photo was taken at a national historic site in October by a fellow employee during a trip to Washington, D.C. attended by 40 residents and eight staff. The photo has since been removed from Facebook, and both employees have been placed on unpaid leave pending the results of an internal investigation.

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
As disrespectful as it is, her workplace shouldn't care what she does in her own time. As long as she isn't in her work uniform or doing anything to identify herself as an employee of the company, they have no right to force an unpaid leave over something she did that was entirely unrelated to the company.

It's the negative publicity that this brings to her company that got her fired.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilipepper

Aug 15, 2012
✟15,210.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think the employer is totally within their right to fire her. People need to learn that everything you post online is public and a reflection of you. It's the same as when people were posting racist things after Obama won, and then got fired. If a company doesn't want such a disrespectful woman working for them, they absolutely should fire her.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, it was definitely a stupid, thoughtless and disrespectful thing to do; however, I think it was more of a sarcastic response to the sign rather than intentional disrespect toward the fallen soldiers. I do agree that her behavior should have consequences. After all, she was doing this while on a business trip representing the company she works for.

What I find more disturbing are all of the comments about how she should be raped, gang beaten, that people hopes she gets a cancer that will render her sterile so she can't have any children. I mean, since when did being a dumb wise acre warrant being raped or beaten to death?

Upvote 0
R

RainbowDashIsBestPony

chilipepper said:
I think the employer is totally within their right to fire her. People need to learn that everything you post online is public and a reflection of you. It's the same as when people were posting racist things after Obama won, and then got fired. If a company doesn't want such a disrespectful woman working for them, they absolutely should fire her.

I see what you're saying. I had missed the part about them being on a trip with work. I think it really is fair.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Uh, this is worse than having somethgin that allows their employeer to be identified. They basically did this at work!

OK, if she was there as part of a work outing, that's different.

And (this is not directed at you specifically Keith) people keep saying how Facebook and other social media is public. So is the street. If someone is walking down the street and does something disrespectful/obscene/unprofessional in front of the general sidewalk-walking public, is that grounds for dismissal?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,185,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I mean, since when did being a dumb wise acre warrant being raped or beaten to death?

Since internet comments came into existence. Posting "I love puppies" can garner threats of death by gang rape these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
OK, if she was there as part of a work outing, that's different.

And (this is not directed at you specifically Keith) people keep saying how Facebook and other social media is public. So is the street. If someone is walking down the street and does something disrespectful/obscene/unprofessional in front of the general sidewalk-walking public, is that grounds for dismissal?

Depends a lot on just how disrespectful, the job involved and how direct the tie to your employer is and for that matter the impact on hte employer.

In this case it is working with the disabled, I assume that includes those with mental deficiencies. That raises issues regarding the suitability for the position in this instance.

I've been involved with activities that are not looked on well by many. In htat setting teachers, lawyers and many other professionals that i know of were very very careful.

Honsstly I'd even look at things very differently if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy if something involves a position where judgement is expected. Posting somethgin on the internet shows poor judgement. Having the same thing get out because someone with a 2000 telephoto lens got a picture is a bit different.

Upvote 0

katautumn

Prodigal Daughter
May 14, 2015
Atlanta, GA
✟24,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since internet comments came into existence. Posting "I love puppies" can garner threats of death by gang rape these days.

Well, I've always said the internet can be used for great things, and it can be used for really awful things. The fact that people will hide behind the anonymity of a computer monitor and say the most vile things is so disheartening. I don't always comes across the way I should online, especially when irritated, but I cannot fathom ever saying things online that I wouldn't say to someone's face when confronted with the same situation or discussion.

Upvote 0

chilipepper

Aug 15, 2012
✟15,210.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The Internet is different because every comment you make and every picture you post is preserved forever. Nothing ever dies. There will always be a record of your drunken photos or racist comments. It is hardcore proof. If someone comes to the employer and says they heard any employee say something, it would be hard to fire them without proof. If that same person brings a printout, it's easier to be sure of what happened.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Internet is different because every comment you make and every picture you post is preserved forever. Nothing ever dies. There will always be a record of your drunken photos or racist comments. It is hardcore proof. If someone comes to the employer and says they heard any employee say something, it would be hard to fire them without proof. If that same person brings a printout, it's easier to be sure of what happened.

While this is true, what you do outside of work like on vacation really shouldn't affect whether the company keeps you or not. What you do ON the job is what you should be judged on.

Upvote 0