Facebook Paid Contractors to Transcribe Users’ Audio Chats ... and Lied to Congress about It

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
From the "Invasion of Privacy", files: Facebook Paid Contractors to Transcribe Users’ Audio Chats

Facebook Inc. has been paying hundreds of outside contractors to transcribe clips of audio from users of its services, according to people with knowledge of the work.

The work has rattled the contract employees, who are not told where the audio was recorded or how it was obtained -- only to transcribe it, said the people, who requested anonymity for fear of losing their jobs. They’re hearing Facebook users’ conversations, sometimes with vulgar content, but do not know why Facebook needs them transcribed, the people said.

On Wednesday, the Irish Data Protection Commission, which takes the lead in overseeing Facebook in Europe, said it was examining the activity for possible violations of the EU’s strict privacy rules.
Facebook confirmed that it had been transcribing users’ audio and said it will no longer do so, following scrutiny into other companies. “Much like Apple and Google, we paused human review of audio more than a week ago,” the company said Tuesday
.​

Did Mark Zuckerberg Lie Under Oath About Facebook Eavesdropping Through Your Phone?

Zuckerberg responded, “We do not. Senator. Let me be clear on this. You are talking about the conspiracy theory passed around that we listen to what is going on on your microphone and use that. We do not do that.”
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
lol-044.gif
One suspects Zuckerberg may have earned himself a Pants-on-fire rating.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My Facebook is filled up with bogus educational, personal and professional history. I use a fake name and 80 or 90% of what I write on Facebook is total fiction. Because of all that, people used to say that I was paranoid for thinking Facebook was monetizing user data and probably using it for even more nefarious purposes.

Nobody says that anymore though.

Upvote 0