✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why not?
But the New Jerusalem as described above, doesn't come down until after the Millennium. There will be a new Temple built by God's Israelite peoples, all the true Christian believers who will occupy the holy Land before Jesus Returns. Ezekiel 43:10-12

God doesn't change and He required a Temple for worship with offerings, before and He will have another; as is plainly stated in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 and Revelation 11:1

Didn't work out very well the first time it was attempted.

Sozomen (ca. A.D.375-447)
"Ecclesiastical History"
Book V, Chapter XXII

Though the emperor [Julian the Apostate] hated and opressed the Christians, he manifested benevolence and humanity towards the Jews. He wrote to the Jewish patriarchs and leaders, as well as to the people, requesting them to pray for him, and for the prosperity of the empire. In taking this step he was not actuated, I am convinced, by any respect for their religion; for he was aware that it is, so to speak, the mother of the Christian religion, and he knew that both religions rest upon the authority of the patriarchs and the prophets; but he thought to grieve the Christians by favoring the Jews, who are their most inveterate enemies. But perhaps he also calculated upon persuading the Jews to embrace paganism and sacrifices; for they were only acquainted with the mere letter of Scripture, and could not, like the Christians and a few of the wisest among the Hebrews, discern the hidden meaning.

Events proved that this was his real motive; for he sent for some of the chiefs of the race and exhorted them to return to the observance of the laws of Moses and the customs of their fathers. On their replying that because the temple in Jerusalem was overturned, it was neither lawful nor ancestral to do this in another place than the metropolis out of which they had been cast, he gave them public money, commanded them to rebuild the temple, and to practice the cult similar to that of their ancestors, by sacrificing after the ancient way. The Jews entered upon the undertaking, without reflecting that, according to the prediction of the holy prophets, it could not be accomplished. They sought for the most skillful artisans, collected materials, cleared the ground, and entered so earnestly upon the task, that even the women carried heaps of earth, and brought their necklaces and other female ornaments towards defraying the expense. The emperor, the other pagans, and all the Jews, regarded every other undertaking as secondary in importance to this. Although the pagans were not well-disposed towards the Jews, yet they assisted them in this enterprise, because they reckoned upon its ultimate success, and hoped by this means to falsify the prophecies of Christ. Besides this motive, the Jews themselves were impelled by the consideration that the time had arrived for rebuilding their temple. When they had removed the ruins of the former building, they dug up the ground and cleared away its foundation; it is said that on the following day when they were about to lay the first foundation, a great earthquake occurred, and by the violent agitation of the earth, stones were thrown up from the depths, by which those of the Jews who were engaged in the work were wounded, as likewise those who were merely looking on. The houses and public porticos, near the site of the temple, in which they had diverted themselves, were suddenly thrown down; many were caught thereby, some perished immediately, others were found half dead and mutilated of hands or legs, others were injured in other parts of the body. When God caused the earthquake to cease, the workmen who survived again returned to their task, partly because such was the edict of the emperor, and partly because they were themselves interested in the undertaking. Men often, in endeavoring to gratify their own passions, seek what is injurious to them, reject what would be truly advantageous, and are deluded-by the idea that nothing is really useful except what is agreeable to them. When once led astray by this error, they are no longer able to act in a manner conducive to their own interests, or to take warning by the calamities which are visited upon them.

The Jews, I believe, were just in this state; for, instead of regarding this unexpected earthquake as a manifest indication that God was opposed to the re-erection of their temple, they proceeded to recommence the work. But all parties relate, that they had scarcely returned to the undertaking, when fire burst suddenly from the foundations of the temple, and consumed several of the workmen.

This fact is fearlessly stated, and believed by all; the only discrepancy in the narrative is that some maintain that flame burst from the interior of the temple, as the workmen were striving to force an entrance, while others say that the fire proceeded directly from the earth. In whichever way the phenomenon might have occurred, it is equally wonderful. A more tangible and still more extraordinary prodigy ensued; suddenly the sign of the cross appeared spontaneously on the garments of the persons engaged in the undertaking. These crosses were disposed like stars, and appeared the work of art. Many were hence led to confess that Christ is God, and that the rebuilding of the temple was not pleasing to Him; others presented themselves in the church, were initiated, and besought Christ, with hymns and supplications, to pardon their transgression. If any one does not feel disposed to believe my narrative, let him go and be convinced by those who heard the facts I have related from the eyewitnesses of them, for they are still alive. Let him inquire, also, of the Jews and pagans who left the work in an incomplete state, or who, to speak more accurately, were able to commence it.

• Informative
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God doesn't change and He required a Temple for worship with offerings, before and He will have another; as is plainly stated in 2 Thessalonians 2:4 and Revelation 11:1

Joh 2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. 
Joh 2:20  Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? 
Joh 2:21  But he spake of the temple of his body. 

1Co 3:16  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 

Mar_15:38  Then the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

Heb_10:6  In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.

Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Didn't work out very well the first time it was attempted.
So God's request to David and Solomon and then later to Nehemiah and Ezra, was just inconsequential? Just a passing fancy?
No; we ARE told there will be another Temple and this time it will operate as God always intended. Zechariah 14:16-21
But he spake of the temple of his body. 
1Co 3:16  Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 

Sure, isn't it obvious that as the followers of Jesus, we are the spiritual Temple, the holy people of God; for this Church age. This truth does not preclude another truth; that is: There will be a new physical Temple in Jerusalem. To say otherwise is to call Bible prophecy wrong.
Let me suggest a Bible passage for all to study carefully: Isaiah 56:1-8

Upvote 0

jgr

Site Supporter
Feb 25, 2008
✟784,067.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So God's request to David and Solomon and then later to Nehemiah and Ezra, was just inconsequential? Just a passing fancy?
No; we ARE told there will be another Temple and this time it will operate as God always intended. Zechariah 14:16-21

Acts 7

48Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
49Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

This being true, why would God want a rebuilt temple? As seen, He has already expressed His displeasure in a most dramatic and convincing fashion.

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Acts 7

48Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
49Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?

This being true, why would God want a rebuilt temple? As seen, He has already expressed His displeasure in a most dramatic and convincing fashion.

Because Zechariah tells us the Lord will sit and rule on His throne after He returns, and then He tells us that throne will be in the Temple He will build at His return and it will be sitting in Jerusalem.

A difference here is that scripture tells us that He will build it and that many will come from among the nations and help to build it. Your verses hinge on a structure built by men, but this Temple is unique as we are told the Lord Himself builds it (Zec 6:13) removing it from the criteria of the verses you quoted. They don't apply.

Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Sure, isn't it obvious that as the followers of Jesus, we are the spiritual Temple, the holy people of God; for this Church age. This truth does not preclude another truth; that is: There will be a new physical Temple in Jerusalem. To say otherwise is to call Bible prophecy wrong.
Let me suggest a Bible passage for all to study carefully: Isaiah 56:1-8

Joh 4:21  Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 
Joh 4:22  Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 
Joh 4:23  But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 
Joh 4:24  God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Rev 11:8  And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

Gal 4:25  For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 
Gal 4:26  But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. 

2Pe 3:10  But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. (See 1 Thessalonians chapters 4 and 5 to see what happens on the Day of the Lord when He comes as a thief. Also see Revelation 16:15-16.)
2Pe 3:11  Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, 
2Pe 3:12  Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? 
2Pe 3:13  Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness. 

Peter was looking for the New Heavens and the New Earth, on the Day of the Lord, when He comes as a thief.
I am looking for the same thing.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Peter was looking for the New Heavens and the New Earth, on the Day of the Lord, when He comes as a thief.
I am looking for the same thing.
As the new heavens and new earth do not come until after the Millennium, Rev 21:1-4, then you will be waiting a looong time.
Did you read Isaiah 56:1-8? I would be interested to hear where you fit that in your eschatology.

Upvote 0

Biblewriter

Site Supporter
May 15, 2005
Ocala, Florida
Visit site
✟531,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The arguments against this temple being literal are all based on one of two things. One is gross unbelief, which claims that the descriptions are unreasonable. But when they say things they neglect that there could not have been a more unreasonable prophecy that, "behold, a virgin shall be with child..." But it indeed happened, exactly as God said.

The other basis of disputing these prophecies is the claim that they are only symbolic. Those who make this claim basically imagine that any prophecy which they simply cannot understand, must be symbolic.

The claim that this has to be symbolic is based mainly on imagining that this (very long and detailed) prophecy contradicts various New Testament scriptures. But this contradiction exists in their minds because they are neglecting a basic theme that runs throughout the Bible.

That these is that from time to time, God changes the way He deals with mankind.

One of these basic changes came when Adam and Eve sinned. Before that time, God provided for all their needs and openly walked with them and talked with them. After that time, He told them they would have to provide for their own needs, and He thenceforth no more openly revealed himself to them.

Another of these basic changes came when He gave the law through Moses. Before that time, He had given men a conscience that told them when they were doing wrong. But had never specifically told them what they must do and must not do.

But the biggest of these changes came when Our Lord Jesus gave himself on the cross for our sins. After that history dividing event, everything changed. God now offers a free and full pardon to all who repent and trust in Himself, and comes to personally indwell those who trust Him.

Now if God has so signally changed the way He deals with mankind several times in the past, then He obviously has a right to do that whenever it pleases Him to do so. And He has clearly revealed that another such change is coming in the future. When this is realized, all the imagined contradictions simply disappear.

• Agree
Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As the new heavens and new earth do not come until after the Millennium, Rev 21:1-4, then you will be waiting a looong time.
Did you read Isaiah 56:1-8? I would be interested to hear where you fit that in your eschatology.

Peter said the New Heavens and New Earth come on the Day of the Lord when He comes as a thief.
That is where it fits into my eschatology.

We find the time of the judgment of the dead in Revelation 11:18.
This is explained by Christ in John 5:27-30.
That is where it fits into my eschatology.

The Book of Revelation is not in chronological order.
It is made up of a series of overlapping visions described in different language.
A failure to recognize this fact produces tremendous confusion.
Christ ruling over a world where sin and death remains is just one example.

I will not condemn anyone for their view of the millennium.
However, I will feel free to show my viewpoint, based on scripture.

Upvote 0

ProtectionET

Acting architect
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
✟29,433.00
Country
Russian Federation
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
all_g1g960.gif.c0738c3dd231ae962339f52e6c6eb2d5.gif

1440j.jpg.9c65724a9f3e76ffcbd451988f267dcf.jpg

Of course, the Third Temple will not be built on the site of the previous temples, but in a place defined in accordance with the prophecy of Ezekiel. 30 km south of Jerusalem, in the Judean Desert, between Ein Gedi and Hebron.

8984.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say Ezekiel's temple is not literal is not akin to saying Bible prophecy is wrong. If I tell you that Jesus does not have a physical sword coming out of his mouth, will you tell me that I'm an unbeliever?

There is in fact a very good reason to believe Ezekiel's temple is symbolic and not literal, and that's simply because God's already destroyed the reason for the temple and that reason was sin. With our sins forgiven we can now commune with God directly, and we know that Revelation 21 and 22 describe a time in which we will live with God on earth and at that time there will be no temple.

So in your scenario, God required a temple for us to commune with him, then removed that requirement in Jesus, but will bring it back with Ezekiel's temple and then remove it again? Tell me, in what manner will he remove that requirement the second time? Another sacrificial lamb perhaps?

If a literal reading of scripture simply makes no sense (as is obviously the case here), then a symbolic reading is typically in order. You are made in God's image, and God makes a lot of sense, so don't be afraid to rely on yours.

• Winner
Upvote 0

BABerean2

Site Supporter
May 21, 2014
North Carolina
✟893,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say Ezekiel's temple is not literal is not akin to saying Bible prophecy is wrong. If I tell you that Jesus does not have a physical sword coming out of his mouth, will you tell me that I'm an unbeliever?

There is in fact a very good reason to believe Ezekiel's temple is symbolic and not literal, and that's simply because God's already destroyed the reason for the temple and that reason was sin. With our sins forgiven we can now commune with God directly, and we know that Revelation 21 and 22 describe a time in which we will live with God on earth and at that time there will be no temple.

So in your scenario, God required a temple for us to commune with him, then removed that requirement in Jesus, but will bring it back with Ezekiel's temple and then remove it again? Tell me, in what manner will he remove that requirement the second time? Another sacrificial lamb perhaps?

If a literal reading of scripture simply makes no sense (as is obviously the case here), then a symbolic reading is typically in order. You are made in God's image, and God makes a lot of sense, so don't be afraid to rely on yours.

If you want to see the temple of God on earth, then look in the mirror because we are the ark of the New Covenant, through the Holy Spirit sent to live inside of us.

1Co 3:16  Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 

I wonder how much space it would take up if all of the Christians on earth stood shoulder to shoulder in one spot?
Could that be what is being described in the Old Testament?

I had a retired pastor tell me one time that the Glory of the Lord had left the temple after the time of Solomon and it was prophesied to return in the Old Testament.
I reminded him that God had walked into Herod's temple on His own two feet and they had dragged Him out of that temple and nailed Him to a wooden Cross.

I often hear people that I love say the following during our worship service...

"It is good to be in the house of God today."

It is my understanding that the building did not become the house of God until one of my fellow believers walked in the door.

Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The prophecies in Ezekiel 40 to 48, and elsewhere, are clearly speaking of a physical Temple that will be built by the Lord's people; near the end of this age. It will be the Throne for Jesus during His Millennium reign, but then the new heavens and new earth are made, with the New Jerusalem coming down from heaven. There will be no Temple then. Jeremiah 3:17

Jesus' Sword is the Sword of the Word. Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12

Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The prophecies in Ezekiel 40 to 48, and elsewhere, are clearly speaking of a physical Temple that will be built by the Lord's people; near the end of this age. It will be the Throne for Jesus during His Millennium reign, but then the new heavens and new earth are made, with the New Jerusalem coming down from heaven. There will be no Temple then. Jeremiah 3:17

Jesus' Sword is the Sword of the Word. Ephesians 6:17, Hebrews 4:12
So let me pose this question to you again, since you didn't answer it the first time.

• Winner
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

In this church era, we Christians represent the Temple, in a spiritual way. But in ancient times, the Glory of God resided in the Holy of Holies and it is prophesied to do so again. Ezekiel 43:1-7 Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:11 that what happened in the past will be repeated in the future.

After the Millennium, God will remove the requirement for a Temple by coming to dwell with mankind on earth. Revelation 21:1-4

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this church era, we Christians represent the Temple, in a spiritual way. But in ancient times, the Glory of God resided in the Holy of Holies and it is prophesied to do so again. Ezekiel 43:1-7 Paul said in 1 Corinthians 10:11 that what happened in the past will be repeated in the future.

After the Millennium, God will remove the requirement for a Temple by coming to dwell with mankind on earth. Revelation 21:1-4
So the first time God needed a sacrifice, but the second time that wont be necessary? So what will be the point of Ezekiel's temple?

• Winner
Upvote 0

LastSeven

Amil
Site Supporter
Sep 2, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta
✟154,576.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In this church era, we Christians represent the Temple, in a spiritual way. But in ancient times, the Glory of God resided in the Holy of Holies and it is prophesied to do so again. Ezekiel 43:1-7
Interesting. You acknowledge that Christians represent the temple in a spiritual way, but you can't see Ezekiel's temple as being a spiritual representation of Christianity?

• Winner
Upvote 0

keras

Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟293,822.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So the first time God needed a sacrifice, but the second time that wont be necessary? So what will be the point of Ezekiel's temple?
It will be the House of the Lord, that all the nations will come to worship God and make offerings in. Zechariah 14:16-21
Interesting. You acknowledge that Christians represent the temple in a spiritual way, but you can't see Ezekiel's temple as being a spiritual representation of Christianity?
No, because they are for different time periods. We are God's 'Temple' now, but I expect to see a literal Temple within my lifetime.
Ezekiel and many other prophesies are quite specific about there being a Temple in Jerusalem during the end times of this era. Jesus will then reign from it during the Millennium.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It will be the House of the Lord, that all the nations will come to worship God and make offerings in. Zechariah 14:16-21

No, because they are for different time periods. We are God's 'Temple' now, but I expect to see a literal Temple within my lifetime.
Ezekiel and many other prophesies are quite specific about there being a Temple in Jerusalem during the end times of this era. Jesus will then reign from it during the Millennium.

What is a "literal" Temple for ?

Upvote 0