Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I know that Eastern Orthodoxy considers Zionism to be heretical. But, how do we reconcile the prophecies of Ezekiel, especially about the physical descriptions of the sacrifices and the third temple, with Eastern Orthodox position against Zionism (I am asking this not only for some protestants, but also for Jews who object to Christ's messiahship)? Are there any Church Fathers who did not over-allegorize old testament prophecies such as Ezekiel and that those interpretations are within the bounds of Eastern Orthodoxy? I just do not want interpretations that simply explain away the literal meaning of those texts; explaining them away seems to be one of the marks of cognitive dissonance.

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do not think Zionism applies to this; isn’t it asecular concept? St. Maximos the Confessor stated that most (not all) Christians ( in his time: 7th c.) believed these events were already fulfilled ( Philokalia vol.2).

People who are Christians & get tangled up in this, I think, are partly reverting to Judaism.

Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I do not think Zionism applies to this; isn’t it asecular concept? St. Maximos the Confessor stated that most (not all) Christians ( in his time: 7th c.) believed these events were already fulfilled ( Philokalia vol.2).

People who are Christians & get tangled up in this, I think, are partly reverting to Judaism.

Wait I need clarification: how did the Christians view Ezekiel as mostly fulfilled already when, even during the time of the Second Temple, most of the descriptions of the temple's infrastructure, the rituals, and the sacrifices, were different from the one described by the prophet?

And yes, they are reverting partly to Judaism because it seems that Christianity's justification of its existence seems to be the fact that Christians view the Old Testament prophecies to be symbolic or allegorical (and this led some to view Christianity as having cognitive dissonance as its foundation). This is why I am asking these: I am trying to find out if there is a way to interpret Old Testament prophecies such as Ezekiel without ignoring the plain language of the prophecies themselves and without resorting to the Jewish anti-Christian interpretations.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was trying to find pdf info of the homilies of St. Gregory the Great on Ezekiel but cannot seem to be able. Here is a link to a book of them: C.T.O.S. — Homilies on the Book of the Prophet Ezekiel.

In the Orthodox Study Bible (OSB)the footnotes refer primarily to St. Gregory the Great. For Ezekiel 43:13-18, our footnote says, The altar here, as well as the altar in the Church, images the heavenly altar. The altar is “the soul of the righteous man, which lays upon itself before His eyes as many sacrifices as it has done good deeds. And what is the drain of the altar but the patience of good men, which, while it humbles the mind to endure adversities, shows it to be placed low down after the manner of a ditch?...Well, too, the same trench is directed to be one cubit, because, if patience fails not, the measure of unity is preserved.” ( St. Gregory ). The great mercy seat is clearly a type of Christ. ( OSB).

The blood sacrifice is over & done replaced by the Cross.

I still think attaching Zionism to this is problematic. Surely it often is but Jews or anyone could not have originally mingled this with what is basically a secular movement which I think has been hijacked by some groups way beyond its original basis: Zionism - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trulytheone

Mar 8, 2019
Luzon
✟21,368.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The altar here, as well as the altar in the Church, images the heavenly altar. The altar is “the soul of the righteous man, which lays upon itself before His eyes as many sacrifices as it has done good deeds. And what is the drain of the altar but the patience of good men, which, while it humbles the mind to endure adversities, shows it to be placed low down after the manner of a ditch?...Well, too, the same trench is directed to be one cubit, because, if patience fails not, the measure of unity is preserved.” ( St. Gregory ). The great mercy seat is clearly a type of Christ. ( OSB).

It seems that St Gregory had resorted to explaining the very physical description of the prophecies as allegorical (though I won't judge the whole work yet as I haven't read yet the whole commentary on Ezekiel). But, if all orthodox Christian commentaries on Old Testament prophecies resorted only to allegorical interpretations, then it seems to me that the Jews would simply respond that the orthodox Christian interpretations of OT prophecies were ambiguous and, in effect, useless. I am saying this because of my doubts on Christianity. I really wanted this sorted out.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
not all prophecies are only allegory. some have multiple layers and meanings. just because the Church reads one prophecy as more allegorical, that doesn't mean they all are.

Christ the King literally sat down on a foal to enter Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, which was predicted in Zechariah.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟745,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I tend to think also that the allegorical accounts for the transition from blood to bloodless from the old covenant to the new.

The book of Ecclesiasticus chapter (or Sirach) Douay-Rheims Bible, Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) Chapter 35 explains the change from blood offerings for sin towards what would be how we actually need to repent of sin as the Lord would preach: Matthew 4:17.

The loss of these in between testament books in many Christian groups is something they should re-examine.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,676.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it seems to me that the Jews would simply respond that the orthodox Christian interpretations of OT prophecies were ambiguous and, in effect, useless.
You obviously can't have spent any time reading Jewish interpretations of Scripture.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
not all prophecies are only allegory. some have multiple layers and meanings. just because the Church reads one prophecy as more allegorical, that doesn't mean they all are.

Christ the King literally sat down on a foal to enter Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, which was predicted in Zechariah.
What about the ones talking about Israel Father? When I was Evangelical, they said that most of the prophesies were accomplished when the nation of Israel was created and the Jews went there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,006.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What about the ones talking about Israel Father? When I was Evangelical, they said that most of the prophesies were accomplished when the nation of Israel was created and the Jews went there.

Israel is the Orthodox Church, so it would depend on which prophecy.

• Informative
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0